Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that enough people are concerned with ride quality that Unplugged Performance has added a 3rd option to their dual rate lowering springs that will maintain close to stock ride height while giving the softest ride of the 3 choices they offer, sounds like a perfect blend of handling and comfort to me

Three Unique Offerings:
Mild – For Comfort Without Sacrifice
Target Use: For Tesla Model 3 owners who desire near factory levels of ground clearance and the softest ride possible, without sacrificing sporty handling at the limit.

Ride: Our Mild offering is engineered with maximum comfort in mind for day-to-day use. We utilize our two distinct spring rates to allow the first spring rate to be even softer than our most popular Moderate spring. When cornering, the secondary spring rate activates and represents a near equivalent spring rate to a factory non modified Model 3. This dual rate engineering reduces the typical downside of reduced handling, feel and agility when utilizing a softer spring rate.

Height: 0.7” drop. Front ground clearance is comparable to many modern sedans. The car is lowered only slightly, and there is still considerable wheel gap of approximately “three fingers”. From a distance the car will not look noticeably lower than factory height.

Moderate – For Sports Car Drivers (Best Seller)
Target Use: For Tesla Model 3 owners who desire well balanced improvements to handling, steering responsiveness, as well as stability that can be felt every day in a diverse variety of environments. With this application we set out to create a best of both worlds spring for everyday use.

Ride: Our Moderate offering is engineered with slightly softer spring rates than factory springs. When cornering, the secondary spring rate activates and body roll is minimized with a slightly more firm spring rates than factory.

Height: 1.5” drop. Front ground clearance is comparable to a modern sports car. The car is lowered moderately, enough to gain aerodynamic efficiency with cleaned up airflow under the car. Visually tire gap is reduced to “two fingers” wheel gap.

Low – Strictly For Crazy People Like Us
Target Use: We do not recommend this version to anyone unless they have previous experience driving modified lowered clearance cars and/or supercars. The car is set at the lowest reasonable height limit to maximize handling performance. It can be daily driven but extreme awareness and caution for ground clearance should be taken.

Ride: Our Low offering is engineered with comparable spring rates to the factory springs. When cornering, the secondary spring rate activates and body roll is minimized with a more firm spring rate than factory. On both primary and on secondary spring rates, the Low version is slightly firmer than our Moderate version. This slightly firmer setting is consistent with our intention of a true high performance driving style.

Height: 2.1” drop. Front ground clearance is comparable to a modern supercar. Visually tire gap is reduced to “one finger” wheel gap.

Tesla has more of an European firm ride than a Nissan commuter suspension.

It is firm because if has a relatively high lever of handling performance and low profile tires.

Right now there are aftermarket solutions that might work for owners wishing a softer ride, and soon the 3 will be offered with an optional air suspension, that also might soften the ride.

Comparing to a old BMW is silly. Standards for suspension have change a lot over the years, drive a new BMW (or any modern car) they are all on the stiff side.

I rented a model 3 from Turo for 2 days and went to check out all the other cars on the market that my wife and I would be interested in.

Drove the model 3 on day 2 to several dealerships and test drove BMW 3 and 5 series ( no sport package on the 3 series but the 5 series was the sport model ) Mercedes C class and E class ( both very soft suspension, softest of all cars we tested ) Alfa Romeo Giulia ( way softer than the 3 while still having very nimble handling ) Jaguar XE S full loaded and the Audi S4.

When we pulled up to every dealer in the model 3 they were more excited to actually see the 3 than they were to try and sell us on their cars!

And finally getting to my point, not only did EVERY car we test drove ride softer than the model 3 by a larger margin than one would expect, I have previously owned a 2008 535i with sports package, 2014 535d with sports package and compared to the latest 5 series with sports package each model has became softer riding and less adept in the corners.

After all that we both loved everything else about the 3 so much we will be taking delivery of one as soon as we are able to configure with 18" wheels and putting Unplugged Performance mild version springs on plus I will change the tires to Michelin premier a/s in 245/45/18 as the are rated for 1764 lbs. ( this tire is only 0.3" taller overall ) I will be able to run the air pressure 3 lbs. less while maintaining the same weight rating so if 42 psi is acceptable for stock Ill run 39 psi, I believe this combo will result in a much improved ride while maintaining near stock ride height and looks.

The Unplugged Performance folks in another thread have said that the stock springs are single rate. It is hard to believe that stock wouldn't have dual rate springs to minimize high frequency bumps. I wonder if the suspension upgrade for cars built after Dec 27 have gone to dual rate springs?

I rented a model 3 from Turo for 2 days and went to check out all the other cars on the market that my wife and I would be interested in.

Drove the model 3 on day 2 to several dealerships and test drove BMW 3 and 5 series ( no sport package on the 3 series but the 5 series was the sport model ) Mercedes C class and E class ( both very soft suspension, softest of all cars we tested ) Alfa Romeo Giulia ( way softer than the 3 while still having very nimble handling ) Jaguar XE S full loaded and the Audi S4.

When we pulled up to every dealer in the model 3 they were more excited to actually see the 3 than they were to try and sell us on their cars!

And finally getting to my point, not only did EVERY car we test drove ride softer than the model 3 by a larger margin than one would expect, I have previously owned a 2008 535i with sports package, 2014 535d with sports package and compared to the latest 5 series with sports package each model has became softer riding and less adept in the corners.

After all that we both loved everything else about the 3 so much we will be taking delivery of one as soon as we are able to configure with 18" wheels and putting Unplugged Performance mild version springs on plus I will change the tires to Michelin premier a/s in 245/45/18 as the are rated for 1764 lbs. ( this tire is only 0.3" taller overall ) I will be able to run the air pressure 3 lbs. less while maintaining the same weight rating so if 42 psi is acceptable for stock Ill run 39 psi, I believe this combo will result in a much improved ride while maintaining near stock ride height and looks.

Did you happen to notice the VIN number of the car you rented? Trying to get an idea if it might have the earlier suspension (pre 12/27 build) or later. Worst case for you, the suspension is the same...best case, yours could be a bit softer from the factory. Honestly, I could easily see me pulling the trigger on a set of springs or even struts (I suspect the Model 3 will get a lot more aftermarket support in this area that the S ever has) if I end up with a 3 (already have my invite to configure).

Did you happen to notice the VIN number of the car you rented? Trying to get an idea if it might have the earlier suspension (pre 12/27 build) or later. Worst case for you, the suspension is the same...best case, yours could be a bit softer from the factory. Honestly, I could easily see me pulling the trigger on a set of springs or even struts (I suspect the Model 3 will get a lot more aftermarket support in this area that the S ever has) if I end up with a 3 (already have my invite to configure).

It was 52xx so I assume it was built after 12/27, this gentleman took delivery of the car on 2/3, we rented the car on 2/4 and it only had 107 miles on it, I understand suspension needs to break in but my feeling is the ride will be much to stiff for the average owner, it does corner hard with little body roll and I felt exactly when the tires were on the edge and then washing out in the turns, I honestly feel that a little bit more compliance in the suspension would not give up anything in handling.

It was 52xx so I assume it was built after 12/27, this gentleman took delivery of the car on 2/3, we rented the car on 2/4 and it only had 107 miles on it, I understand suspension needs to break in but my feeling is the ride will be much to stiff for the average owner, it does corner hard with little body roll and I felt exactly when the tires were on the edge and then washing out in the turns, I honestly feel that a little bit more compliance in the suspension would not give up anything in handling.

Great feedback. I almost wonder if Tesls will do yet another revision to the suspension before it's all said and done.

Is this with the 19" rims or the 18"? My wife has been driving a 2016 Audi A3 for the past 2 years and man is that ride stiff (meant to be sporty, but with a tiny 1.8L T engine it's really kinda pathetic)--it makes the Model 3 sound like a Rolls Royce Phantom inside. I'd say that the Model 3 has a well-balanced suspension, to give drivers the right "sporty" feel without being dull and boring. If you want something quiet and smooth for that price level, get a Prius Prime; I've heard those are better than the Leaf ;).

Here is another, you can clearly see the ride is very stiff over any substantial bumps

Funny, Mcelroy seems a lot more "biased" than the Munro guy does (Munro seems to just be calling them like he sees them)...and yes, definitely a lot of "head toss" from the passengers here. Suspension and NVH tuning is definitely one of the more challenging areas for automakers, and even experienced automakers can get bit when they do a significant design change. As an example, there are hundreds of posts on GM's full size SUVs bemoaning weird vibrations, buffeting, etc. in the current gen of those trucks. Many owners seem to feel it resulted from GM's weight savings measures in this generation.