TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Jetson, Jan 21, 2018.

1. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

If that is true, the guy is seriously dehydrated !

2. Petesjca

Petesjca Member

I'll take you up on that! ; - ) Actually, I'd like like to spend a few minutes sitting behind the wheel...

I'd really like to know if you've gotten use to all the driver info, maps, etc. ALL to the right of the steering wheel.

3. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

The harsh ride made him spill his drink.

4. John Beans

John Beans Member

Be interesting to see that glass test again, but around some corners or on a slalom course. Body roll is one of the more annoying (to me) aspects of a soft ride.

5. ehansen007

ehansen007 Member

Maybe this has already been posted but that PSI in that tire size is going to suck no matter what car you drive. Typical rule of thumb is 10PSI for every 1000lbs for appropriate handling, ride, and wear. So this car should only need 38PSI tops. Now I know a lot of people will scream "But my miles will go down per charge!" Yup, they sure will. Why doesn't the manufacturer do this? Because this is how they test. With tires as hard as rocks so that as little of the tread touching the ground as possible causing as little resistance getting those extra few miles. HOWEVER, what they have found is that is that at too high or too low a PSI, you'll burn through them quicker. So if you're trying to save money by getting more per charge, make sure you relate it to buying tires more often. So, in the end, play around with the PSI and make it as comfortable as you can without going below the formula mentioned above. Go ahead, you deserve it. Quit watching the range and enjoy this car!. Also, research your next set of tires carefully on Tire Rack. There are many great tires out there that simply are not put on by the manufacturer due to partnerships and overall monetary reasons for OEM.

6. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

I just hope the 3 doesn't trigger low tire pressure warning below 40 like the S does.

7. ehansen007

ehansen007 Member

I would hope that they change it since it's a much lighter car. I'd be interested to know. The model s is ~4400lbs so 42 would make sense!

8. Jetson

Jetson Member

Well guess what? I know it will be hard for some of you to belive, but Tesla agrees with me, the ride is too harsh. The car is in the shop and they are upgrading the suspension.

Also, it is very disappointing that this forum deleted my orginal post with the Model 3 / Leaf test. This is getting to be a lot like Fox News - only one opinion is allowed.

It is not the only problem with the car. If you want to see our first month review it's here:

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
  9. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Good, much better review! It does not come as a surprise to me that Tesla is doing something about your suspension. It has been reported that Tesla is giving the option to owners whose cars were built prior to 12/25 to change their suspension. Some owners like the suspension the way it is, some, like you want something softer. So Tesla has responded by trying to make owners happy. Regarding your other concerns in your video, I feel certain that Tesla will do everything they can to fix things to your requirements, over time.

All's well that goes well.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

What do you mean, deleted your original post? Aren't you talking about the first post on this thread, because it has your Model 3/Leaf test?

11. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

I have the same same Mikhail Gorbechev steering wheel. Let me know if that get's replaced. I always figured it may have something to do with airbags.

12. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

One hump or two?

13. cab

cab Member

Very interested to hear the results of the suspension upgrade on your S...oh, and congrats on being one of few who scored the Alcantara headliner!

14. Need

Need Active Member

Maybe he could not locate the thread today and started a new one thinking that post was deleted? And then a mod found it and moved that post to this thread. Just guessing.

• Like x 1
  15. toolmanca1

toolmanca1 Member

I dropped th tire pressure down to 40 psi because it was delivered at 46psi. It felt a whole lot better.

• Like x 2
  16. Jetson

Jetson Member

No, I originally had a different thread. I first listed it as "Model 3's dirty secret" and they changed the title to Model 3 / Leaf suspension. Then they later deleted it.

• Informative x 2
  17. Jetson

Jetson Member

It may very well have something to do with the air bags, but our Model S doesn't have it or any other cars we've had. The service advisor thought they would replace it. I'll let you know.

18. SigNC

SigNC Member

So does this mean 3s built after 12/25 have different suspension than those built before?

19. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I have no idea. I have no first hand experience with the issue, just reporting what a current owner was told by the Service Center.

20. DR61

DR61 Member

Suspension is a broad term that covers many parts. Most likely there have been some running changes in damper ( commonly called shock absorber in US) settings. Damping rates have more impact on ride quality than most other suspension parts.

• Like x 1