Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal and in car audio with 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have standard audio, but upgraded the speakers to some decent stuff. I've tried the 'premium' audio in S/Xs and to be honest they sound pretty poor to my ears, as essentially they are the same speakers as base but with more and added sub I really struggled to understand why people rated the Tesla system so highly? Adding loads of low quality speakers doesn't really improve sound quality in any setting, certainly not in any conventional HiFi setup. Most of us am sure rather listen to a decent stereo setup versus a 'home cinema' system at home.

These are the speakers in the car currently, I half thought of adding a sperate power amp+sub but decided it wasn't needed as I don't listen to that much stuff with base. I notice the latest KX3 version Focal has given into the marketing push for 'more is better' with an additional twetter :)

For me any ways streaming on Tidal is noticeably better than Spotify. When stationary any volume louder than 5 is bordering on anti-social, versus on Spotify where I would often have the volume turned up to 7 and still find it lacking.

I don't know about the S/X stereos because I have not heard or studied them. The only one I've heard in depth is the LR premium stereo, and also have looked for reviews from trusted listeners, and the consensus is that the LR stereo is the best you can get in an OEM stereo. So I'm only speaking about the LR stereo, and also my SR stereo which I've profiled and EQed.

The reason I press for information like which version of the stereo and which streaming service is because we do need to understand what the base is to be able to use anecdotal info in any form. If someone is streaming Slacker radio and says the stereo is crap, we know we can discount that. If they've done an upgrade of the speakers like you, and still find Spotify lacking, that carries more weight.

Uninformed stereo people will talk about how it's all personal preference, but that's not actually true. There are measureable differences between stereos, and a boombox is not a LR stereo. There can be personal preferences on top of a quality system that is putting out accurate sound, but you have to have a solid base to work with.

A good quality stereo is like a high quality visual image. You can see differences more obviously than hear them, but it's a similar idea. For a good quality image, you can't have a 72 dpi monitor with JPG compression at 50% and then say it's a better image, and that some people like it better. It's measurably worse in all aspects.

This is what I'm trying to get at with my current stereo project. I want to build a higher resolution stereo than what the car provides. And I think it will be higher resolution than even the LR stereo, but that remains to be seen and profiled. Something like Travis built for his stereo upgrade. I'm using a DSP as well, along with the NVX subwoofer.

When I say higher resolution- I'm specifically looking for a clearer sound stage, where you can echo locate individual performers and instruments. With a poorly EQed stereo like the SR was with earlier software, it smudges out the sound stage, just like you'd see a JPG get blur added. Sorry to be a bit off topic here, but it's related to Tidal in the sense that if you start with a crap signal (a blurry or overly processed image in my analogy) then you aren't getting to get good results.

Just downloaded Tidal and he a quick blast of it in my M3P.

Would like to say I could see a difference between that and Spotify yeh and I defo echo previous posts comments on volume for sure, had to turn it down in Tidal. The instrument separation on a Micheal Buble Xmas song (the wife’s choice) was amazing, not sure that I’ve noticed clarity like that on Spotify.

Does anyone know what bitrate Tidal streams at in the car? Is it actually better than Spotify?

We don't know for sure because Tesla never talks, and Tidal hasn't said. But based on our anecdotal experiments our best working theory is that Tidal is streaming using their "Normal" setting. That would also be most likely because Tesla doesn't want to pay for bandwidth, even when we pay them for Premium Connectivity, and the "HiFi" option is to connect via WiFi and download.

Assuming that is correct, then it would be 160kbs AAC.

It gets hard to get a straight answer when talking about quality of encoders and the different bitrates, and then also what different people can hear and their individual preferences and things that will bug them. However, I try to simplify all that down to my personal metric of "is it good enough?" That's why I gave some personal background earlier, so you can know where to put my judgments.

Basic assumption is that 160kbs AAC should be roughly comparable to 96 kbs OGG, which is roughly comparable to 192kbs CBR mp3. Good, and possibly perfectly OK for different people, but not for me. Also for anyone with a LR premium stereo who cares about music, I expect they will find all of these lacking because the stereo has high enough resolution to hear the imperfect streams.

Great stuff mate thanks, really informative

I’m listening to Tidal just using Premium Connectivity streaming, listening to content I’m used to from Spotify, tbh it’s difficult to note any decent difference, to me there may be slight differences but as you’ve pointed out, the biggest differences will be seen in downloaded content on HiFi.

Dude, I don't understand you. Why are you pissing in the pool? We are here to learn new things and understand differences, maybe figure out how things work. Your only answers are "Give up. It's hopeless. You can't do a good job anyway. It's not real science."

I made that graph in my car using REW and a Umik microphone to profile the stereo before I modify it. People talk about how the SR stereo is crap- that graph proves they are wrong. I've profiled and EQed stereos for years. It's not magic, and not everyone's opinion is valid.

This is the same sort of thing that Travis did with his car profiling: Tesla Model 3 Stereo - Part 9: Summary and Lessons Learned

But of course I'm sure you'll say he didn't do a proper job either.
My reason for joining the thread is to learn my best sources, strategies to access sources, and listening AND user audio experience in my soon to me new car. So the anecdotal and any other more data based discussions are relevant. But I do tire of people sharing their experiences being told they are irrelevant or not good enough. And again, sound measurements or some other like scientific tests only tell part of the story with regard to overall user experience. So yeah, it will be interesting when we can get some actual data and measurements. But until then, I already know those are anecdotal. So saying so on repeat does not add anything to the thread.

And then... they cripple it with shitty low bandwidth streams like Slacker, and the piss poor UI of the USB player. It's incomprehensible.

. . .

Interesting. Doesn't match my experience or what @spon88 sees. When I'm on strictly connectivity, it's noticeably worse than Spotify.

If you guys could put your car in your signature, that would help a lot. I don't have the premium audio of a LR for example, so the experience might be completely different. However, I'd expect people with the premium stereo of a LR would be better able to discern differences, because the LR stereo is quite a bit nicer than the SR, and makes low bitrates much more obvious.
Yes, I relish the day when they improve the USB drive experience. Seems like a no brainer. Or just contract that part out to some provider that can design an interface that works nicely with files on external drives. I am sure a fix or a workaround will happen some day. But it is puzzling to me how poor an experience this seems to be so far for people via reports here, and also videos I have found on YouTube.

Also, what is the DAC being used by the Tesla head unit, and what do we know about that? There must be a thread somewhere. Will look.

Thanks everyone for this discussion. I have Spotify and I'm considering a trial subscription to Tidal. For people that notice a difference in sound quality, would you mind posting which album/song you notice the difference? I'd love to hear it for myself to help decide if I keep one or the other. Thanks!

No. Downloaded audio on phone is different to downloaded music in the car - what you choose to download to any tidal device may vary. You can share favourites though but you will need to download as you want.
Cheers Vanilla

Next question for you, might be a silly one but not intended I promise. Is Tidal included in the Premium Connectivity package? You know, as I’m the 10 quid a month Tesla charge for PC, or is paying another tenner for Tidal on top of that?

Tidal is not part of the premium connectivity package. The included Spotify car offering is a very much cut down version of the paid Spotify package (iirc better than free tier [which won't work in the car] and it will only work in the car) so cannot be compared with Spotify's paid offerings. If you want to get an offering similar to Tidal, you need to pay Spotify extra for it and use that account in the car.

I have heard no plans that Tidal will offer a cutdown free tier that will work in the car. The Tidal free tier will not work in the car, which I believe is the same restriction as Spotify's own free tier public offering.

tl;dr There is no Tidal free tier that will work in the car. If you wish to use Tidal, or a Spotify tier that allows music to be shared between devices, you must pay for a subscription outside the Premium Connectivity package.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Tidal is not part of the premium connectivity package. The included Spotify car offering is a very much cut down version of the paid Spotify package (iirc better than free tier [which won't work in the car] and it will only work in the car) so cannot be compared with Spotify's paid offerings. If you want to get an offering similar to Tidal, you need to pay Spotify extra for it and use that account in the car.

I have heard no plans that Tidal will offer a cutdown free tier that will work in the car. The Tidal free tier will not work in the car, which I believe is the same restriction as Spotify's own free tier public offering.

tl;dr There is no Tidal free tier that will work in the car. If you wish to use Tidal, or a Spotify tier that allows music to be shared between devices, you must pay for a subscription outside the Premium Connectivity package.
Weird thing here

Downloaded some content on the Tidal iPhone app last night. This is now showing in the Tidal app on the car as “HiFi” 🤷🏻‍♂️

So if I sign into my Spotify account in the car (I have Premium), I’ll get similar quality to the Tidal paid service for HiFi?

No.. don't see why it would be any different.
I’ve had the car a year and literally never signed into Spotify in the car, just used the “free” version that comes with Premium Connectivity, foolishly thinking that Spotify was also “Premium” but seems it isn’t.

So do I just login with my Spotify Premium account in the Spotify Tesla App? Anyway of just kinda auto logging in from my iPhone to the car, similar to how Tidal do it with the QR code and Tidal iPhone app?

Signing into your premium account isn't going to improve the streaming quality, but will give you your playlists etc so you keep in sync with Spotify when used outside your car. When Spotify HIFI eventually hits I'd hope for a similar experience to Tidal, allowing you to download or use WIFI for higher quality.

I've signed up to the Tidal 3 month offer. As you'd expect HIFI tracks do sound "better", but I can't tell any difference when on premium connectivity in my SR+

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Out of curiosity - for those of you with iPhones, did you have to enable "Maximise Compatibility" in the hotspot settings for your Tesla to connect to it? I couldn't get mine to connect to my hotspot for love nor money using the default settings for the hotspot.
I did turn on the "Maximize Compatibility." It helps but it still takes 30-60 seconds to find my iPhone. +
Out of curiosity - for those of you with iPhones, did you have to enable "Maximise Compatibility" in the hotspot settings for your Tesla to connect to it? I couldn't get mine to connect to my hotspot for love nor money using the default settings for the hotspot.
Just saw a message about iOS 15 moved to WAP3 security protocols, which encrypt your password, and the Tesla is still using WAP2. Tesla needs to update their security protocols.

For those still undecided and with some spare time, here are two tests you might want to try in order to hear a difference between lossless and compressed streaming music: