Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to crack her open and get inside the network for AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the benefit of key-less Z connector is you can plug it anywhere in the car, otherwise IC and diag ethernet and such have different keys.

Do you happen to know the key-ing of the other connectors? I was under the impression that all of the Ethernet in the car was keyed as B, but I also haven't had my car apart yet to verify. In any case, the Z series is definitely more flexible; I don't really see the downside to Z for these applications (just don't accidentally plug your Ethernet cable into your backup camera ;-)).

The diagnostic cable on my AP2 (February build) is directly under the CID. You press down on the little cubby hole and it pops off to reveal it, but it's completely locked down, you can't get in. There's all sorts of security guarding the "easy" port, I won't get into it here, but look @green1 thread I reference above and they talk all about the security and that port. Regardless your not getting into that port without a ranger / service center laptop.

Correct, the diagnostic port for Toolbox on AP2 cars is under the CID, and yes, is locked down.

What I was saying is that the other end of that cable goes to, I think, the APE. I believe that module has two ports, one connected to the diagnostic cable, and the other connected to, I believe, the CID. So, if you plug in there, you should also be able to get onto the internal network.

Correct, the diagnostic port for Toolbox on AP2 cars is under the CID, and yes, is locked down.

What I was saying is that the other end of that cable goes to, I think, the APE. I believe that module has two ports, one connected to the diagnostic cable, and the other connected to, I believe, the CID. So, if you plug in there, you should also be able to get onto the internal network.

Oh interesting, but I'll need to google around a bit, but don't you have to remove the entire right dash to get access to the APE? I'll definitely look into this avenue as I wait on my new cable!

Besides, who doesn't want more pics of the APE sitting naked on a bench....

FWIW, here's an overview of the APE connector types.
AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

• Love
Reactions: BigD0g
Do you happen to know the key-ing of the other connectors? I was under the impression that all of the Ethernet in the car was keyed as B, but I also haven't had my car apart yet to verify. In any case, the Z series is definitely more flexible; I don't really see the downside to Z for these applications (just don't accidentally plug your Ethernet cable into your backup camera ;-)).
The diagnotic port is white and CID->IC is black, whatever that means in those keying things.

We must be talking about different things. That old post from 2014 you linked to, refers to the color of the connector on the IC side (that's no longer there). I'm talking about those two ethernet connectors on the AP2 ECU.

I triple checked now, and according to Tesla's diagrams, White is CID/GW and Bordeaux (Purple) is DIAG, like I said.

We must be talking about different things. That old post from 2014 you linked to, refers to the color of the connector on the IC side (that's no longer there). I'm talking about those two ethernet connectors on the AP2 ECU.

I triple checked now, and according to Tesla's diagrams, White is CID/GW and Bordeaux (Purple) is DIAG, like I said.
That's what I am saying too.
The diag port was moved to under cid, but it' still white I believe, this is not to say that the other end could not havea different color-key.
I totally don't see why would they want to move diag connector from CID to AP too, since I believe CID still has that diag port on it and it is still controlled by gateway that is on cid board.

I think both evergreen and lumitiks are correct... I have a feeling that Tesla is playing some games with connector colors (maybe to throw us off?? :p).

You can find the keys here: https://www.rosenberger.com/0_documents/de/codes/codes_coding_auto_hsd.pdf

A is black, B is white, C is blue, D is purple, E is green, F is brown, and Z is teal (Z fits all).

Piecing a few things together, I think the Ethernet network on an AP2 car goes something like this (starting with the unconnected diagnostic cable under the CID):

White (B) --> Purple (D) --> APE --> White (B) --> White (B) --> CID --> Black (A) --> Black (A) --> IC

That's what I am saying too.
The diag port was moved to under cid, but it' still white I believe, this is not to say that the other end could not havea different color-key.
I totally don't see why would they want to move diag connector from CID to AP too, since I believe CID still has that diag port on it and it is still controlled by gateway that is on cid board.

I think instead of adding another port onto the CID or adding a separate ethernet switch for AP2 cars, Tesla decided to use the port labelled "diag" on the CID to now go to the new AP ECU, which needed an Ethernet connection. So, appears to likely have been a practical decision.

I was just about to suggest that. They've prob switched the loose cubby connector from direct CID access to APECU access and from there CID access. Kind of what they did with rv-cam (no longer hooked up to CID directly but to APECU)
While this is possible, it is somewhat cumbersome.
The locked port is done by ethernet switch with basic vlan-capable ports on the cid board (I only looked in great details on my ap1 bench setup). So the switch is connected to gateway on the master port and diag is connected to a restricted port, all traffic from restricted port flows to the master port and master decides which packets to let through or not (only lets in the magic unlock packet in locked state).
cid node is connected to fully unrestricted port and ic is connected to partially restricted port (the only restriction I saw so far is no ic<->gtw communications are allowed)

Now if you reuse the diag port as the link to ape, how are you going to do the locking? you cannot tell if the incoming datagram came from ape/lb/ap2b or the diag port... You need to somehow propagate the locking/unlocking logic to ape/lb but I am not quite sure I see this logic anywhere, though I guess if it's hidden withing gateway and it just commands lb to do more things, that's possible, just a lot more cumbersome. Somebody needs to take a look at the harness, I guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: DaveBC