Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Put a Model 3 In the Stores - ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe everyone is right. Since so many people will buy a car without sitting in it, I must not be getting the 'Tesla Model 3 vibe'. I reached out to several new owners of Teslas to see if quality and reliability have improved since I bought my 1st Tesla (thank you). Those willing to privately share the plusses and minuses of owning a recently built Tesla were very helpful.

I will finalize the configuration, take delivery, get the tax credits, and garage it.

When the tax credit runs down to $2500 to zero, I'll see if anyone wants to buy a new Model 3 (with 500 miles or less).

Thanks for the insights.

Maybe everyone is right. Since so many people will buy a car without sitting in it, I must not be getting the 'Tesla Model 3 vibe'. I reached out to several new owners of Teslas to see if quality and reliability have improved since I bought my 1st Tesla (thank you). Those willing to privately share the plusses and minuses of owning a recently built Tesla were very helpful.

I will finalize the configuration, take delivery, get the tax credits, and garage it.

When the tax credit runs down to $2500 to zero, I'll see if anyone wants to buy a new Model 3 (with 500 miles or less).

Thanks for the insights.

To be able to claim the credit you have to own it for a year. Heck of a risk that Tesla won’t come out with some new feature in that time that would erode all of the desire for your model (or at least $7500 of the desire).

Reactions: T34ME
Nah... Remember, it's all about the software updates. No worries.
And then there is:
  • AWD
  • SAS
  • Performance version with 0-60 in 3 second range
  • light colored interior
  • new battery pack with 400+ mile range
  • integrated U.I. screen
  • HUD
No amount of software upgrades can fix that! That's why I have two on order, one now and one in two years to get all the newest bells and whistles.

Reactions: Cloxxki
Tesla only needs to put Model 3's in stores if they are trying to sell them.
Anyone think they are having problems selling them?

Tesla Model 3 Surprisingly Shows Up At LA Auto Show
I asked one of the guys at the LA Auto show if showrooms would be getting them soon and he said probably not until mid 2018. It was nice to see the 3 in person there, but kind of a tease as the doors were locked to the public.

Oh the paradox :) But still couldn't sit inside. ;)

Thanks for the insights.

YOu just demonstrated intent to buy the vehicle for resale. Claiming the tax credit would be tax fraud.

YOu just demonstrated intent to buy the vehicle for resale. Claiming the tax credit would be tax fraud.

Nope, but since Tesla won't provide vehicles to view / test before I finalize my order, I reserve the right to find problems with the vehicle and decide I do not want to keep it. I know the laws regarding the federal and state rebates and credits and will adhere to them.

I'm in no hurry to sell the car and will garage it for as long as I need to if I am not happy with the purchase.

Stick to you day job - A Perry Mason Wanna-Be

Nope, but since Tesla won't provide vehicles to view / test before I finalize my order, I reserve the right to find problems with the vehicle and decide I do not want to keep it. I know the laws regarding the federal and state rebates and credits and will adhere to them.

I'm in no hurry to sell the car and will garage it for as long as I need to if I am not happy with the purchase.

Stick to you day job - A Perry Mason Wanna-Be

Good luck and have fun.

I personally think the idea of Tesla needing to sell the Model 3 in any way is completely incorrect. Tesla clearly, and correctly IMO, is now in the position of NEEDING to undersell the model 3 in order to keep cash flow moving with MS and MX sales. AND they will need to continue to undersell the M3 going forward to further cash flow with sales of the MS and MX as it appears that the M3 is currently a more refined car because Tesla learned from all of their mistakes.
The next step for Tesla on M3 production is in full swing will be to refresh the MS with additional features in order to create a gap between the 2 models because right now is sounds like unless you need the extra room or speed, the M3 is more refined car. SO they will need additional features to make the MS worth the additional cost. What that is? I can only guess that it is a more luxurious interior, or possibly a larger battery pack with extended range? (this will likely need to wait for 2020 time frame when the battery tech from the roadster is available).

But TLDR: Tesla needs to continue to undersell the M3 until they can refresh the MS and give people a reason to NOT be buying the M3.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Nope, but since Tesla won't provide vehicles to view / test before I finalize my order, I reserve the right to find problems with the vehicle and decide I do not want to keep it.
Your posts make it sound like you think it's personal. :)

Tesla will not require any reservation holder to finalize their order if they require a test drive prior. You'll get your chance to have all your questions answered before placing your order. If you DO order prior, I don't think you're going to get to rewrite your order agreement to include reserving the right to not keep it because you don't like some of the features or find others lacking. YOU have the right to NOT place the order until you have your questions answered. Once you place it, Tesla has the right to expect you know what your'e doing.

Fair?

Your posts make it sound like you think it's personal. :)

Tesla will not require any reservation holder to finalize their order if they require a test drive prior. You'll get your chance to have all your questions answered before placing your order. If you DO order prior, I don't think you're going to get to rewrite your order agreement to include reserving the right to not keep it because you don't like some of the features or find others lacking. YOU have the right to NOT place the order until you have your questions answered. Once you place it, Tesla has the right to expect you know what your'e doing.

Fair?

I guess the way you describe Tesla's sales model, the person placing the reservation (over a year ago) and potentially entering into a contract at the early stages of production should consider themselves blessed by being able to order now (with no opportunity to test / sit in the actual article). If not, they can let others move ahead.

Got it. I don't see it as a personal thing. It has more to do with the sales practice of Tesla (which they have every right to do).

That is why I will avail myself to order now, pay for the car, conduct my own test drive - post purchase. If I discover issues post purchase that I could not discover pre-order, that is 100% okay. If the issues are such that I would not have entered into the contract, I will detail the car, and place it in my garage until I am able to sell it. I support the mission of Tesla, hold stock in Tesla, and hope they succeed.

It is not a problem at all and I do not consider the Tesla process a problem. I would only like more disclosure upfront for those of us who don't make capital purchases sight unseen or without the benefit of evaluating the product (no matter what the price / deal).

Hope my clarity is not perceived as being Tesla negative but simply being an educated consumer.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I personally think the idea of Tesla needing to sell the Model 3 in any way is completely incorrect. Tesla clearly, and correctly IMO, is now in the position of NEEDING to undersell the model 3 in order to keep cash flow moving with MS and MX sales. AND they will need to continue to undersell the M3 going forward to further cash flow with sales of the MS and MX as it appears that the M3 is currently a more refined car because Tesla learned from all of their mistakes.
The next step for Tesla on M3 production is in full swing will be to refresh the MS with additional features in order to create a gap between the 2 models because right now is sounds like unless you need the extra room or speed, the M3 is more refined car. SO they will need additional features to make the MS worth the additional cost. What that is? I can only guess that it is a more luxurious interior, or possibly a larger battery pack with extended range? (this will likely need to wait for 2020 time frame when the battery tech from the roadster is available).

But TLDR: Tesla needs to continue to undersell the M3 until they can refresh the MS and give people a reason to NOT be buying the M3.

I get what you are saying and I don't think having ONE vehicle in a region for those to touch, sit-in and ask questions is encouraging additional sales. I see many reasons for have ONE per region so people can decide:

• Is the single screen something I will adjust to?
  • Is the seating too low for me and my bad back?
  • What does the non-premium interior resemble before I consider paying 5K for the premium option?
  • Will our child seat fit properly in the rear? Will I have enough leg room in the front passenger seat with our rear-facing child seat?
People buying cars (all over the world) evaluate these items when making a vehicle purchase. Putting a Release Candidate vehicle in a region for that purpose does not put production volumes in jeopardy.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
The new $1M McLaren Senna was sold out before it (and its name) was revealed to buyers. Buyers trust the company to make a good car.
With Model 3, similar.
Why the reservations? Maybe to prevent a run ons stores and unhappiness on delivery times once into production? Or, the startup vibe? They can't use the reservation money until a car is delivered.

The new $1M McLaren Senna was sold out before it (and its name) was revealed to buyers. Buyers trust the company to make a good car.

With respect, for most high-end products (as you pointed out), a reveal occurs and affluent customers are provided a private showing of the product. This is especially true for bespoke products (clothes, cars, boats) that will be customized to the owner's liking. When you get into high-end purchases it is very rare to expect the customer to pay before actually seeing a product - in-person. In the example you describe, a potential customer will be often brought to a private showing at the manufacturer's expense.

Sold out? Can you provide a link to the site? I'd like to learn more.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
I get what you are saying and I don't think having ONE vehicle in a region for those to touch, sit-in and ask questions is encouraging additional sales. I see many reasons for have ONE per region so people can decide:

• Is the single screen something I will adjust to?
  • Is the seating too low for me and my bad back?
  • What does the non-premium interior resemble before I consider paying 5K for the premium option?
  • Will our child seat fit properly in the rear? Will I have enough leg room in the front passenger seat with our rear-facing child seat?
People buying cars (all over the world) evaluate these items when making a vehicle purchase. Putting a Release Candidate vehicle in a region for that purpose does not put production volumes in jeopardy.

I agree MotoEvCA that these things certainly need to happen for those people who will need that test drive and I think that time will come some time next year. I just don't think that now is the time. There are so many people like myself that will take delivery sight unseen and once we all do we will be able to share our experiences with others.
For instance IF I take delivery before the St. Louis Auto Show I will take my car to the show with our local Tesla Auto Group that is there every year with MS and MX to share it with the public. This will allow people like yourself to see the car and sit in it, if you ask nicely ;).
I think that is one of the great parts of this community, it is a community! and we want to share everything about Tesla and electric cars with others. If you look at some other forums there are already people who are taking delivery that are driving all around the west coast scheduling meet ups for people who want to see it and sit in it that will help others with their decisions.
So I don't see this as a deterrent right now for me but completely understand how it effects others like yourself and in time you will have the opportunity to test drive this car one way or another before you buy in due time.

Reactions: bonnie