Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tiny paint scratch on my new model Y- can Tesla help with repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
I recently purchased a Tesla from Tesla dealership about 17days ago, and I have been thoroughly enjoying the experience thus far. However, I must admit that while opening the trunk, I accidentally caused a tiny paint scratch on my Tesla. I'm really keen on keeping my Tesla in top-notch condition, so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and reached out to Tesla for a quick paint repair?
If you have any insights or advice on how to handle this situation, I'd love to hear from you! Your input would be immensely helpful.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Attachments

• IMG_4690.jpeg
    IMG_4690.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 8
Exact same thing happened to me. I opened the trunk lid on garage door when I was too close. I got Tesla's red repair kit and touched it up. You have to really study hard to see it. I also got a 1 inch long scratch down to the white primer on the rear driver door when a tool fell off a passing truck. That was a little tougher one to cover but once again you have to look real hard to spot it.

Same here but mine is MSM. Bought the touch up kit but I’m not real artistic so I’m not that happy with my work. Had the car ceramic coated and thought the paint correction fee would include a professional fix. Not. So just living with it. I suspect a good body shop would charge about $500 to touch it up. But the moral of the story is “join the crowd”

Exact same thing happened to me. I opened the trunk lid on garage door when I was too close. I got Tesla's red repair kit and touched it up. You have to really study hard to see it. I also got a 1 inch long scratch down to the white primer on the rear driver door when a tool fell off a passing truck. That was a little tougher one to cover but once again you have to look real hard to spot it.
I did the same thing the day after driving my MY home!! I had to back out partially to adjust the little tennis ball hanging from the garage roof that lets me know when I'm in the right parking position. For some stupid reason I can't ever remember, I opened the trunk and watched in horror as it struck the frame around the garage. I felt like the biggest idiot.

OP, get the touch up kit. If you don't wanna do it yourself, look on Yelp for a good body shop and talk to them. I rubbed another car's bumper trying to get into a tight parking space at the mall and scratched the side of my old M3 on the passenger rear door. Took it to a body shop and luckily it hadn't gone thru the paint, just the clear coat mostly. He buffed it out and only charged me $60. Others were quoting me over $1000. The service center most likely doesn't do body work, so you'd have to take it to a Tesla body shop or their authorized body shop. Most likely they will overcharge you for it.

That doesn’t even look like a scratch, just paint transfer. Wipe it off.
If it is a bit of paint that got scraped on to the the Tesla from say a white garage door, then try a little Methylated spirits on a cloth.

Meths removes acrylic paint scrapes off cars very well.

Amazing how many people have a bumper scrape from a fence post or low wall and end up with a (usually) white scrape on the car. It's often just white acrylic that has been transferred on to the car with the scratch. Cleaning it with Meths removes the extra white and hugely reduces the visual evidence.