Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure vs efficiency data/chart?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I experience a noticable difference.

An electric car is (roughly) 3 times more efficient than a comparable ICE car. A change in tire pressure that equates to a 2% efficiency increase (hardly noticable) in an ICE car would have a 6% efficiency increase (very noticable) in an electric car, with all else being equal. The fact, that electric cars are usually heavier than ICE cars would make the difference even greater.

Every absolute change in efficiency is a much greater relative change the more efficient the car already is. That is why there is such a big focus on aero, drivetrain and tires with electric cars. Take a sip from an espresso and it is half empty, take a sip from a gallon of milk and you won't even notice.

Personally, I experience a noticable difference.

An electric car is (roughly) 3 times more efficient than a comparable ICE car. A change in tire pressure that equates to a 2% efficiency increase (hardly noticable) in an ICE car would have a 6% efficiency increase (very noticable) in an electric car, with all else being equal. The fact, that electric cars are usually heavier than ICE cars would make the difference even greater.

Every absolute change in efficiency is a much greater relative change the more efficient the car already is. That is why there is such a big focus on aero, drivetrain and tires with electric cars. Take a sip from an espresso and it is half empty, take a sip from a gallon of milk and you won't even notice.

I notice a difference as well.
It’s really personal preference. If you want more efficiency, you get a more rough ride.
Softer ride, less efficient.
These days, I usually side on comfort. There is a loss in efficiency, but I have lots of range, so it’s no big deal b

I was checking my model 3 pressures today and adjusting them to 2.8 and When checking the equivalent psi Found it is 42 which is 15 psi higher than on a regular ice car. That’s some 50% more pressure or thereabouts. I have the long range 4x4 model 3 with 19”wheels and I think that pressure is crazy! I have done 10000 miles and I have always felt I was driving on ‘solid rubber ‘ tire way too hard. I’m looking to depressurise these tires to soften up the ride a bit even if it costs a bit of range it’s a price worth paying, but what I’d like to know is 1. Are the Hankok tires as supplied designed to run a lower pressure? 2 Are there other alternative Makes of tires which are quieter? ( wind noise is nothing compared to The tire noise in my car). 3 Has anyone opted for lower pressures to run at? I was thinking of trying 30psi to begin with.

I was checking my model 3 pressures today and adjusting them to 2.8 and When checking the equivalent psi Found it is 42 which is 15 psi higher than on a regular ice car. That’s some 50% more pressure or thereabouts. I have the long range 4x4 model 3 with 19”wheels and I think that pressure is crazy! I have done 10000 miles and I have always felt I was driving on ‘solid rubber ‘ tire way too hard. I’m looking to depressurise these tires to soften up the ride a bit even if it costs a bit of range it’s a price worth paying, but what I’d like to know is 1. Are the Hankok tires as supplied designed to run a lower pressure? 2 Are there other alternative Makes of tires which are quieter? ( wind noise is nothing compared to The tire noise in my car). 3 Has anyone opted for lower pressures to run at? I was thinking of trying 30psi to begin with.
What ICE car do you have that recommends 27psi! I'm at 37 on GTI and BMW 1M series. Also, I think they may have gotten the ride/handling thing better with the Performance model; I have no complaints; rides better than the other two I have and handles great.

I agree with EmOne. Gone (mostly) are the days of 32 psi tires.Most have a max capable pressure of 44 or 51 psi. The sticker on the door jam of US cars recommends 42 psi.
FYI my F150 (heavy duty payload package) recommends 55 in the front and 60 in the rear. The tires are capable of 80 psi.
So pay attention to the car's design.

The Prius hypermilers back in the day all ran their tyres at sidewall rated maximum. I think they would see ~ 2 - 4% improved fuel economy over the standard pressure.

I personally inflate ~ halfway between the manufacturer recc and the rated maximum, in part to improved fuel economy, in part to improve tyre wear and performance. I would act differently if the roads were littered with potholes

Actually, it does not work that way. The change in efficiency is a constant that produces about the same results regardless. There have been many discussions and results published to confirm this

An electric car is (roughly) 3 times more efficient than a comparable ICE car. A change in tire pressure that equates to a 2% efficiency increase (hardly noticable) in an ICE car would have a 6% efficiency increase (very noticable) in an electric car, with all else being equal.

I always keep my tire pressure at 42psi as stated on the door jamb. About 2 weeks ago, I went to the local SC and they topped it up to 43psi. Yesterday, the mobile ranger came to finish up something they were waiting on a part for. As part of the mobile visit, he checked my tire pressure and started topping them off so I asked him what psi he was using. He said 45psi and that is the new recommendation for more even tire wear. Anyone heard that?

30 psi/ 2.0 bar is defo not normal. Most ICEs ride between 2.5 to 2.8 bar. The default pressure for most tire mechanics is 2.6-2.8 bar for a car or 38-40 psi.

I always keep my tire pressure at 42psi as stated on the door jamb. About 2 weeks ago, I went to the local SC and they topped it up to 43psi. Yesterday, the mobile ranger came to finish up something they were waiting on a part for. As part of the mobile visit, he checked my tire pressure and started topping them off so I asked him what psi he was using. He said 45psi and that is the new recommendation for more even tire wear. Anyone heard that?

45 psi was the original recommendation. Elon then had complaints on twitter about a harsh ride and recommended 42 psi as a good middle ground - I think new cars actually come with that on the door.

The tires are rated up to 50 psi and some people in Australia run their tires at 49 psi cold when in the outback as it does give like a 1.5 - 2% boost in range over 45 psi.

The pressure needed to be at is DESIGNED IN TO THE CAR BY REAL ENGINEERS, not armchair engineers. Please don't run your tires at 30PSI. It is dangerous to under-inflate your tires so much.

Reactions: vickh and tilt
tire pressure as with everything is a trade off between responsiveness, comfort, efficiency, support, etc.

higher doesnt mean better. lower doesnt mean better.

the 1st order driver for pressure is weight. heavier car, more passenger, more luggage, etc, demand higher pressure. many subcompacts are recommended to run 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 bars.

tesla is really heavy, and thus require higher pressure. start at the recommended, and then adjust to your taste/tolerance of comfort, efficiency, typical load, AND observed wear.

i run at my model 3 performance around town at 38-40psi cold for more comfort, plus im alone most of the time. road trips ill go 42-43psi cold to eke out extra mileage, and most of driving is on freeway, and the car is loaded.

heres an example

2018-BMW-M3-pure.jpg

Reactions: AZAV8R