Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation - $200?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with 10k miles in my new tires I called the Dallas SC to see if I can get it done along with a few other minor things.

Was very surprised to hear that it might cost me around $200 to rotate them (no balancing, just rotation) at $175/hour (or is it $150 I can't recollect) and 1 1/2 hours of approx labour time.

That's one expensive rotation. Why can't I just use Goodyear for $25?
Tyre shop.
You don't have electric tyres, it's overkill to get Tesla to rotate them.

Thanks for all your replies. The tread has been holding fine (better than my Nissan leaf) and the alignment has been good too so far. I am going to the local Good Year to see if they have worked on any Teslas at all. I am concerned about them damaging the battery compartment if they jack it up wrongly.

O
So with 10k miles in my new tires I called the Dallas SC to see if I can get it done along with a few other minor things.

Was very surprised to hear that it might cost me around $200 to rotate them (no balancing, just rotation) at $175/hour (or is it $150 I can't recollect) and 1 1/2 hours of approx labour time.

That's one expensive rotation. Why can't I just use Goodyear for $25?

Ouch!

So a Service Center is different than a traditional dealership how? They smile more when that take your money?

So do the Service Centers rotate tires for free or not? There have been differing answers in this thread. I've gone to Discount Tire for years, but I am somewhat concerned about their machine to lift the car not lining up correctly with the Model S frame.

A few posts above saying to rotate the tires yourself. Sure why not. However, getting the right torque on each nut is part of the job. So buy the torque wrench too. Don't just give it a good estimate of the right torque.
Oh, and every shop that installs tires asks me to come back for a re-torque after a stated number of miles/kilometers.

A few posts above saying to rotate the tires yourself. Sure why not. However, getting the right torque on each nut is part of the job. So buy the torque wrench too. Don't just give it a good estimate of the right torque.
Oh, and every shop that installs tires asks me to come back for a re-torque after a stated number of miles/kilometers.
Absolutely right!

O

Ouch!

So a Service Center is different than a traditional dealership how? They smile more when that take your money?
Tesla is different all right, but not in the ways they want us to believe.

They make the best car on the planet, their initial purchase experience is second to none, the car needs less service than almost anything else, but when it does... look out!

Service is significantly more expensive at Tesla than at many other dealerships, and worse yet, they refuse to allow any third party competition which drives up prices even further (and is quite likely illegal, but so far nobody's taken them to court on that one) Additionally, they don't just refuse to allow third parties access to the information on how to service the vehicles, and refuse access to the necessary software, they also refuse to sell the parts. (also likely illegal, but also so far unchallenged in court)

The end result is an amazing car, but a horribly expensive repair bill if you ever need to.

Luckily, there's absolutely no reason to take the car to Tesla for wheel or tire work, any tire shop can easily handle that stuff, and amazingly, Tesla didn't decide to use some form of weird non-standard wheel attachment method that only they have the tools for.

Aircraft mechanic here. Just thought I'd throw in that we do use nitrogen in aircraft. If it's unavailable we will use dry air temporarily.

Nitrogen helps keep the tire pressure consistent as its exposed to drastic temperature changes. (Heating during taxi/braking, and high altitudes).

Nitrogen= less moisture to expand and contract.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
Couple of things to add. Do AWD cars need tires rotated? On RWD, you should be able skip every other recommended rotation. Here's the logic behind it (percentages are theoretical but I believe still accurate if scaled differently) -->

@0-miles
Front = 100%
Rear = 100%

@5,000-miles
Front = 90%
Rear = 80%

<Rotate>

Still @5,000-miles
Front = 80%
Rear = 90%

@10,000-miles
Front = 70%
Rear = 70%

Rotate? Why? Makes no sense to rotate when tires are all even again.

@ 15,000-miles
Front = 60%
Rear = 50%

<Rotate>

Still @ 15,000-miles
Front = 50%
Rear = 60%

@ 20,000-miles
Front = 40%
Rear = 40%

Same thing....no rotation needed.

So rotate at first 5,000, then at 10,000 mile intervals after that. Does this make sense or am I smoking crack here?

The above is from a thread that I had started a while back. there are a few pages of discussion there if you are interested in diving-further into it:

Skip Every Other Tire Rotation

Why don't you just do it yourself? Any particular reason? It is very easy to do and I truly enjoy it. Saves me some 50 eur every time as well, although that is not why I do it myself. Just don't forget to switch on "Jack mode" if you have air suspension.

Some of us more senior owners probably don't want to potentially wreck our back doing our self. That said, be CAREFUL getting some of the cheap places to do it. Have you seen some of the animals that do tire work? :eek: I had the unfortunate experience years ago of getting ALL 4 rims scarred by the air gun; what's a torque wrench I ask? They denied they did it until I took the manager outside and said REALLY? I DID that? :mad: All 4 wheels had to be sent off for refinishing which meant I was out the car for a week and the loaner was sh*t. Never again. I only allow it to be done where they CLEARLY have the liability if they muck it up, and that is usually the dealer I purchased from. Obviously there are some VERY good tire/wheel shops, just do your homework first. :)

Reactions: Ciaopec
My recollection is that the first one was free. I don't remember if I read it or heard it somewhere. (It's been three years - today as a matter of fact!)
I've been doing it myself, but my tires seem to be wearing so evenly I just swap their location when I change tires for the season.

I have a well equipped garage with two hydraulic pump jacks. Do the tire rotation myself. One jack in front and the other in back. Pneumatic wrench driver. It takes me 20 minutes per side. And that includes cleaning the red calipers, and cleaning the wheels and tires, checking the brake pads (essentially new), and cleaning an prepping the wheel wells, and retourqing using a torque stick between the wrench and socket.

This job is simple for me as I already had all the gear (other than the high torque stick).

And the job gets done correctly, with no buggered up lug nuts.

I have a well equipped garage with two hydraulic pump jacks. Do the tire rotation myself. One jack in front and the other in back. Pneumatic wrench driver. It takes me 20 minutes per side. And that includes cleaning the red calipers, and cleaning the wheels and tires, checking the brake pads (essentially new), and cleaning an prepping the wheel wells, and retourqing using a torque stick between the wrench and socket.

This job is simple for me as I already had all the gear (other than the high torque stick).

And the job gets done correctly, with no buggered up lug nuts.

While your in there checking the brake pads, be sure to check the calipers for build-up. Seems we have more risk for the caliper/pad getting all gunked together. Had service do mine when it was in this week for the annual (er... "annual") and a couple other folks seem to have had issues as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Brass Guy