Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation on a Y Performance ? How is that possible with different sizes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does my Model Y Performance require tire rotation when it’s different size tires? How to reset the reminder on the screen?

View attachment 912842

The Tesla service guy showed up at my house upon my wife request because a warning message on the screen.
Asi he recommended tire rotation 😲 I told him how when it has staggered size tires? He said true, proceded you check my tire wear after 15K miles they were ok, but unfortunately said he couldn’t reset the warning ⚠️ on the screen.. Tesla would be liable if something happened 🤦🏻‍♂️ How then am I supposed to reset/clear it from the screen? Help 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
5DCCE1A6-3334-410B-BF75-42D4FFED6DED.jpeg

you cant, even on MYLR if your car is properly aligned you shouldn't have to rotate tires, on my last 3 cars all AWD cars i never once needed to rotate the tires and they all equally across, Model Y has some rear camber that can wear the inside part of the rear tires which is why tesla recomends rotating on the MYLR

Reactions: Msicario
Model Y has some rear camber that can wear the inside part of the rear tires which is why tesla recomends rotating on the MYLR
I don't think the stock 21" tires wear inside faster. The most I've seen the inner tire wear was from people swapping the 21" to either 20"/19"/18" on their MYP which has lower suspension height that can cause more negative camber angle with smaller wheel/tire sets on the MYP.
Also, all car manufactures recommend tire rotation on all cars, except those staggered setup cars.

You can drive for quite a while after the warning message. It’s basically a “heads up - you should think about getting tires soon”. And since they’ll run you $300-$400 a pop, budget for it.

Tesla tires are not cheap.

In theory you could rotate front-to-back if you had the same all around. If you don’t, yeah… you’re stuck with each one in the position it’s in. Drive it, enjoy it, plan for a big purchase soon.

You can drive for quite a while after the warning message. It’s basically a “heads up - you should think about getting tires soon”. And since they’ll run you $300-$400 a pop, budget for it.

In theory you could rotate front-to-back if you had the same all around. If you don’t, yeah… you’re stuck with each one in the position it’s in. Drive it, enjoy it, plan for a big purchase soon.
If the tires aren't directional (and these aren't), you can "rotate" them side to side with staggered. This can prolong the tires if you have a side-vs-side wear imbalance.

I don't think the stock 21" tires wear inside faster. The most I've seen the inner tire wear was from people swapping the 21" to either 20"/19"/18" on their MYP which has lower suspension height that can cause more negative camber angle with smaller wheel/tire sets on the MYP.
Also, all car manufactures recommend tire rotation on all cars, except those staggered setup cars.
Being staggered, by itself, only prevents you from rotating front to/from rear. Or rather, mixing. Because swapping BOTH fronts with BOTH rears isn't necessarily bad, if you want a reverse stagger. Being directional prevents you from rotating side to side (without removing and remounting the tires). Some confuse symmetric/asymmetric, but that deals with which side of the tire faces out (you see) vs face in (you don't see). It only when you have all three that you basically can't rotate tires at all (assuming you don't want to switch staggered with reverse staggered).

And as mentioned, neither the Pirelli nor the Michelin tires that come on the MYP are directional.

As for camber, the angle doesn't change from changing wheel/tire sizes. In the staggered setup, the rear is bigger, which lifts the axle 10 mm higher from the ground than the front (275/35/21 vs 255/35/21). Going squared, evens them out. And that affects the angle of the whole car, rake. And while it can affect camber angle, along with toe and caster, the effect is slight considering the change in this case is 10 mm, or less than half an inch vs the 6 plus FEET from front to back (ratio effect). It's likely to be within error of margin of the measurement device.

Last edited:
One must consider tire sizing is not exact by any means. In fact several years ago I fitted Blizzaks on my Genesis, exact same size as the original summer tires on my car. Noticed after my speedo was reading almost 3 kph faster at highway speeds so i asked my good friend who owns the tire shop to correct the issue as I though I had a bad batch. Turns out his is within spec after he contacted Brigestone which means the tire size you think you are getting has a 3% give or take fudge factor. In the case of the staggered setup the difference is only 2% which could easily mean they are identical in overall diameter even though the sizing says they are not. This will help clarify.

One must consider tire sizing is not exact by any means. In fact several years ago I fitted Blizzaks on my Genesis, exact same size as the original summer tires on my car. Noticed after my speedo was reading almost 3 kph faster at highway speeds so i asked my good friend who owns the tire shop to correct the issue as I though I had a bad batch. Turns out his is within spec after he contacted Brigestone which means the tire size you think you are getting has a 3% give or take fudge factor. In the case of the staggered setup the difference is only 2% which could easily mean they are identical in overall diameter even though the sizing says they are not. This will help clarify.
Air pressure can play a role in that too.

On my Fit and HR-V, I've noticed that at recommended pressure (33 and 32/30), they would both be about 1-2 mph SLOWER than indicated on the speedometer (checked against all the various radar speed signs). But if I increase the pressure by about 5 psi, the speedometer would match the measured speeds. Which actually benefit the Contis, as it makes it less squirmy on turns.

True, but the Tesla service person said I could go online and find a way to reset that warning message 😬 He said he was not allowed to do it. So far I can’t find anything on line.. so I have to live with it 🤷🏻‍♂️