Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation [recommendations on where to get tires rotated?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember looking up the rotation guidance at the Michelin website when I had the OEM tires on my ve
I remember looking up the rotation guidance at the Michelin website when I had the OEM tires on my vehicle:
View attachment 865906
I have Michelin MXM4s (OEM) on my Model 3 LR. Michelin owner's manual says that directional tires have arrows molded on the sidewall showing the correct rotation direction. I don't see any arrows molded on my sidewalls. I presume that means that they are not directional and that I should follow the picture on the left for the correct way to rotate them. Does that seem correct? FWIW, these tires are for sale on Summit Racing website and it says that they are directional.

Upvote 0
Any tire shop is fine. Many will do it for free if you buy your tires there. I use a local shop where I have always purchased my tires and they rotate for free. Others here will mention Discount Tire, Belle Tire, Costco etc. You need to make sure they have the pucks to raise the car correctly but in my experience, Teslas are so common now they know what to do and it's not an issue.
Thanks, appreciate the response! Sorry it took a while !!

Upvote 0
Why not just do it yourself? I just passed 10k miles and still hadn't received a notification to rotate my tires, so just did it myself. Took my time, cleaned the inside of the rims, checked the calipers and pads, checked the tire pressures and filled to 42psi, and in all took me about 45 min.

Total cost: $0 You just need 2 jacks and do it in your garage or driveway.

Upvote 0
Why not just do it yourself? I just passed 10k miles and still hadn't received a notification to rotate my tires, so just did it myself. Took my time, cleaned the inside of the rims, checked the calipers and pads, checked the tire pressures and filled to 42psi, and in all took me about 45 min.

Good for you. I don't have even one jack, and this is not something I'd attempt by myself. I can check the tire pressures and fill them when needed, but that's about it. I'd rather take it to a tire shop and have it done right, for a few bucks.

Upvote 0

So I have a regular shop jack (platform jack). I need one other jack, and it'd be nice if it were the small portable kind you keep in your car. But it needs to work with the pucks. Can someone point me to an inexpensive portable jack that works with the pucks ?

Upvote 0
Literally any tire shop. It’s a car with four well-marked lift points. No special procedures, equipment, or masters degrees required. I dunno why so many people think these cars are such delicate flowers.
Agreed. I have had my Model 3 for three years and take it to my local tire shop where I have always purchased tires. There are many Teslas on the road near me. My tire shop is very familiar with how to lift a Tesla (they have the lift pucks) and what torque setting the lug nuts should be set to. They use a manual torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. They rotate my tires whenever I want for free. No need to take the car to a Tesla service center to buy or rotate tires.

Upvote 0
Other option is your own garage, if you have the following tools:
  • Suitable jack(s) / stands that can fit under the car.
  • Jack pads, pucks, etc. as desired (depending on the shape of the platform on the jack(s) / stands). While jack pucks that plug into the jack points on the car are not strictly necessary, they are convenient in terms of making it easy to position jack(s) / stands in the correct places. However, they may reduce the clearance so that some jack(s) / stands may not fit under them.
  • 21mm deep drive socket, and long handle socket wrench.
  • Suitable torque wrench with reasonable accuracy at 129 ft-lb / 175 Nm.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Upvote 0
Literally any tire shop. It’s a car with four well-marked lift points. No special procedures, equipment, or masters degrees required. I dunno why so many people think these cars are such delicate flowers.

You'd think so wouldn't you? A reputable tire shop (chain) told me they had the jack pads when I asked, but they didn't use them. Instead, they jacked my car up incorrectly and damaged (cracked/broke a chunk off) the plastic shield (thank god that is all they did). After I sent an email to their corporate office and they reviewed the bay cameras at the location my car was dropped off at, they agreed that they did indeed damage the car by not jacking it up correctly. They paid for the Tesla repair (replacement plastic shield).

Apparently there are reputable shops (chains) that still don't understand how to lift Teslas correctly.

Upvote 0