Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Porsche jack even rated to lift the weight of a Model 3?

Original poster claims it's rated for 2200 lbs. An empty Model 3 weighs about 4000 lbs. Rule of thumb is that the jack should be rated for a least 75% of the weight of the vehicle. 75% x 4000 = 3000 lbs. So a 2200 lb jack doesn't seem to be sufficient. Wouldn't the Modern Spare 3000 lb scissor jack be a better choice for the Model 3 and the 4000 lb for other models?

I was of this mindset while looking through eBay. Sadly I just sold a 986 last week with the exact jack you guys are talking about.

Anywho, stumbled upon the Cayenne jack (11-18). It's designed for similar weight to the M3 but with a wacky half scissor design. What could go wrong on the side of the road with this beaut?

Got one shipped for $65 and can be the guinea pig. Also comes with collapsible chocks, so that's cool.

I can report back the weight of the jack and any other info.

Looks like this:
20200113_101312_ddb66ed4cf4a965b1fabaf52e5ce042dc5993657.jpg

Reactions: Mike500
I bought the Heyner Ultralift L Pro for cars up to 2.8 tons or approximately 6200 lbs. This weight rating is sufficient for any tesla model.

I bought the Heyner Ultralift L Pro for cars up to 2.8 tons or approximately 6200 lbs. This weight rating is sufficient for any tesla model.

Nice find. I'm a sucker for German tools.

If my half Cayenne doesn't work, I have a line on a 986 kit for $75, but this German one might be the right path.

That said, can someone translate this page?
347200_d6_Tdeu_Tabelle5Yy5EVsFvnx7D.jpg

Edit: Nevermind, wow, my Google lens thing was able to translate it.

Seems like good kit. The local guy said $75 for the Boxster Jack, I can connect someone if folks are looking for one in Maryland.

Last edited:
Like a glove....

This ball shaped thing fits perfectly inside the jacking point of my Tesla. In the picture above, the tire is just off the ground.

These things are still $50-75 on Ebay.

Jack says 3395 lbs / 1540 kg is the capacity at 1.18 ft extension. I haven't weighed it, I am sure its heavier than OP's 911 jack. Gonna source a Mustang spare tire and should be good-to-go.

As pictured, 9.2 lbs using a bathroom scale. For size, here it is in a 2020 frunk:

That empty space on the top part of the foam was where the pair of folding chocks were supposed to be.
Setting up a spare kit...I purchased one off ebay. Gonna try this out...German engineered looks interesting. Curious to see if the size of the jack lift support hole is the same size as the Tesla. My main concern is the low clearance.

Last edited:
To follow up received my Porsche jack worked like a champ. Factored another 2 inches for clearance with a flat..no problem. For those who are wondering about the size of the ball I took measurements. Took 2 readings gettting 24 and change and 25 mm.

This is an excellent option for those who need an emergency jack. The Porsche is rock solid German engineering. I have an extra set (bought 1 for the 3 and another for a Y). If anyone is interested I’m selling for 125.00 plus shipping or local North DFW area. I ordered a cybertruck so I don’t think I’ll need the second jack.
IMG_0814.jpeg
IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0804.jpeg
IMG_0803.jpeg

To follow up received my Porsche jack worked like a champ. Factored another 2 inches for clearance with a flat..no problem. For those who are wondering about the size of the ball I took measurements. Took 2 readings gettting 24 and change and 25 mm.

This is an excellent option for those who need an emergency jack. The Porsche is rock solid German engineering. I have an extra set (bought 1 for the 3 and another for a Y). If anyone is interested I’m selling for 125.00 plus shipping or local North DFW area. I ordered a cybertruck so I don’t think I’ll need the second jack.View attachment 932991View attachment 932992View attachment 932993View attachment 932994View attachment 932995
Unfortunately, my 2023 Model 3 came with a new smaller 20mm jacking socket.

Over the past five years, I have modified many models of scissors jacks made by Toyota, Hyundai and other manufacturers with Tesla jacking adapters.

A couple of years, ago, I acquired older 1999-2006 Audi A6 aluminum jacks that weighed less than three pounds and modified them with custom Delrin and stainless steel adapters. I bought and sold six of them to fellow Tesla owners, but the Audi jacks became harder to get is acceptable condition. Here is aphoto of one of them.

on scale.jpg

Unable to get more Audi aluminum jacks, I now make a UNIVERSAL TESLA SCISSORS JACK ADAPTER that works with any flat top jack (with the swiveling piece removed by drilling out the rivet and enlarging the hole to 5/16") into a socket hole and retained pushnut.

on electric jack.jpg

Using the jack on my Model 3 and electric jack looks like this.

in use.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gbailey
Unfortunately, my 2023 Model 3 came with a new smaller 20mm jacking socket.

Over the past five years, I have modified many models of scissors jacks made by Toyota, Hyundai and other manufacturers with Tesla jacking adapters.

A couple of years, ago, I acquired older 1999-2006 Audi A6 aluminum jacks that weighed less than three pounds and modified them with custom Delrin and stainless steel adapters. I bought and sold six of them to fellow Tesla owners, but the Audi jacks became harder to get is acceptable condition. Here is aphoto of one of them.

View attachment 953877

Unable to get more Audi aluminum jacks, I now make a UNIVERSAL TESLA SCISSORS JACK ADAPTER that works with any flat top jack (with the swiveling piece removed by drilling out the rivet and enlarging the hole to 5/16") into a socket hole and retained pushnut.

View attachment 953878

Using the jack on my Model 3 and electric jack looks like this.

View attachment 953865
Mike - how do we purchase one of your adapters? What’s the cost shipped within the US? Thanks!

Mike - how do we purchase one of your adapters? What’s the cost shipped within the US? Thanks!
As I am a new member and do not want to violate the rules, I will not be selling them here, Just go to an e--commerce web site and search for "Secure Jacking SOCKET ADAPTER for scissors jack to TESLA ALL MODEL 3, Y, S and X"

I am a retired engineer and make these at near cost as a Tesla owner and enthusiast.

Thank you for your interest.

Reactions: Hangerr
The adapter is designed to be universal. I was disappointed to see a widely available mass marketed jack stand adapter that clamps on with nuts and bolts and absolutely cumbersome.

The same adapter fits perfectly on any of the aluminum jack stands such as the popular Torin Big Red ones. They are especially designed to fit the top requiring that the user only drill a 5/16 inch centered 1 inch deep hole. The one shown was an earlier model. The current one is designed to fit even better.

on aluminum stand.jpg
on Model 3 w aluminum stand.jpg

The top of the saddle of a 2 ton Torin jack stand can be easily drilled the same way to accept the adapter perfectly.

on steel stand.jpg
on Model 3 w steel stand.jpg