Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every 5,000-7,500 miles. Tesla Service Centers by appointment. That way, if/when the lug nut (soft metal) cap pieces get chewed up, they replace them nqa.

Without question, as long as the tires are OEM (factory or replacement sets), rotations are free.

If I had a P car, I'd consider Road Force balancing elsewhere; as far as I know, Tesla SvCs do not have those machines. Anyone know of an exception?

• Disagree
Reactions: Archimedes
I drove over 12000 miles last year. I asked the SC if my tires need to be rotated, they said not necessary because all my tires treadwear evenly.
I should have realized this is the place to start, I'll measure them this weekend.

My i3 burned through the rear tires in just 15,000, but it is RWD with lots of around town driving so I think regen wear must have made a big contribution to such short life.

Lots of good feedback here, thank you everyone!

My Ranger was doing this at my house no charge. Was informed at the last change that this would no longer be available unless I was having service work performed. Today I did the rotation myself after 7500 miles. Easy to do. The Range showed me his trick using one hydraulic floor jack and a jack stand.

When the wheels/tires were off, best time to inspect the treads and clean the inside of the wheel barrels of road tar, grease the wheel studs and check brake pad ware. Good to have a torque wrench on hand.

I have my tires (19" Goodyears) rotated during my regular service visits to the SC. For some reason, my front tires had excessive wear at about 18-20K so they were replaced and put at the rear while the original rears became the fronts. At my last service just short of 40K, tread depth on both the fronts (original rears) as we as the rears were within specs although the rears, being newer, were deeper as expected. Can't explain why/how my fronts are lasting longer this time. My driving style, perhaps?

I have my tires (19" Goodyears) rotated during my regular service visits to the SC. For some reason, my front tires had excessive wear at about 18-20K so they were replaced and put at the rear while the original rears became the fronts. At my last service just short of 40K, tread depth on both the fronts (original rears) as we as the rears were within specs although the rears, being newer, were deeper as expected. Can't explain why/how my fronts are lasting longer this time. My driving style, perhaps?
My theory is that since you have an RWD, regen causes the rear tires to wear faster than the front which is the same thing I experienced with my RWD BMW i3. It's the reverse of ICE where the braking falls to the fronts, so they wear faster.

I'm not sure how Tesla distributes the regen on the dual drive models, time will tell.

I rotate every 5k-6k. I have 46,400 on the original 19" tires so that strategy is working. I use a local tire shop. $20 and its close and they get me in and out. My SC flat out told me early on that they didn't want to do tires unless I couldn't figure it out otherwise.

My Ranger was doing this at my house no charge. Was informed at the last change that this would no longer be available unless I was having service work performed. Today I did the rotation myself after 7500 miles. Easy to do. The Range showed me his trick using one hydraulic floor jack and a jack stand.

When the wheels/tires were off, best time to inspect the treads and clean the inside of the wheel barrels of road tar, grease the wheel studs and check brake pad ware. Good to have a torque wrench on hand.
Dabbler

What was the trick to do a tire rotation with just a jack and stand?
I've been trying to locate recommendations on all the forums, with little luck.