Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tired of the $100,000 Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feel free to spend $100,000 on a Tesla, but it's really a $45,000 car, after the rebate, with a $15,000 battery. The base model is more car than 90% of the population really needs. Spending double the base price isn't going to get you a nicer paint job, better body panel fit and finish, more functional touch screen, or improved AP. Spending a little over base price will get you all of these things and a nicer interior finish though. If you really need ludicrous speed and 300 miles of electric range then go ahead and spend the money, but don't expect the cars fit and finish to match the $150,000 price. Is anyone else tired of all the people that exaggerate the price, just to make the point that it should be as luxurious and perfect as ice cars in the $100,000 price range? At most I think people should be comparing it to $55,000 cars when it comes to quality and reliability.

That's the nice thing about choice. The price of the MS ranges anywhere from high $50Ks to $140K after the $7500 rebate and people will choose the car they want at the price they can afford. The $140K P100DL is a $140K car. The S6 (rear wheel drive only without any extra options is a high $50Ks car.

Not sure where you're getting $45K from. Lots of cars are cheaper cars if you subtract the cost of some major component like the engine.

What exactly is your point?

That's the nice thing about choice. The price of the MS ranges anywhere from high $50Ks to $140K after the $7500 rebate and people will choose the car they want at the price they can afford. The $140K P100DL is a $140K car. The S6 (rear wheel drive only without any extra options is a high $50Ks car.

Not sure where you're getting $45K from. Lots of cars are cheaper cars if you subtract the cost of some major component like the engine.

What exactly is your point?

Subtract the gas tank, not the engine. If you don't understand my point then you must not have read my post very carefully.

Trolls deserve to eat too....at least just a little ;)

I'm shocked by your ignorance. My point was the fit and finish should be compared to a $55,000 ice car. When your paying upwards of $100,000 you are paying for a very large battery and the technology that makes it go so freaking fast. Your not paying for better fit and finish.

If I'm getting the OP's point correctly, he's talking about the Tesla owners who complain about a certain issue with the car and says something along the line of "this is unacceptable in a $100k car". I have seen plenty of similar complaints.

He may also be talking about the media frequently referring to the car as a $100k car (sometimes in a negative story), even though there is a base model at $66k. Naysayers also like to dismiss the car as a rich person toy by referring to it as a $100k car.

Last edited:
I'm shocked by your ignorance. My point was the fit and finish should be compared to a $55,000 ice car. When your paying upwards of $100,000 you are paying for a very large battery and the technology that makes it go so freaking fast. Your not paying for better fit and finish.
If I'm getting the OP's point correctly, he's talking about the Tesla owners who complain about a certain issue with the car and says something along the line of "this is unacceptable in a $100k car". I have seen plenty of similar complaints.

I've made the same complaints myself. I just don't agree with the OPs metrics.

He may also be talking about the media frequently referring to the car as a $100k car (sometimes in a negative story), even though there is a base model at $66k. Naysayers also like to refer dismiss the car as a rich person toy by referring to it as a $100k car.
I believe you're correct in your assumption. My only issue with a $100k car is that the issues I've had are unacceptable even in a $10k car.

Yes, you can find $50K cars with better fit and finish. You can find $200K cars (Aston Martin DB9) with way more issues than a Model S. My P85D has been almost flawless. A loose screw in the arm rest has been the only issue. My Mercedes (transmission) and BMW (electronics) had bigger issues. My $5,000 Suzuki SV has never had an issue. Two $28K Ducati's have blown engines (spun bearings) and lots of little issues.