Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tired of the $100,000 Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Audi S7, and last week I purchased a new D90. I agree that the Model S interior is certainly "cleaner" versus luxury $100k European cars like mine, or for that matter, the all-too-confusing Porsches these days. But folks are right when they say that the interior of a Model S isn't luxurious... and I don't think people mean its about the number of switches, knobs, or little do-hickeys you find in other cars.

Rather, here are specific items that I will miss in my new Model S, which for me should be standard offerings in a $100k+ vehicle:
  • leather seating with the comfort / quality / adjustability that you'd find in an Audi / Porsche / BMW today
  • easy entry/exit steering wheel
  • rear controls for individually zoned climate control (and up until this month, rear cup holders & power ports)
  • vanity mirrors that are usable at night (lighting)
  • coat hooks and grab handles (I can't believe I'm even typing this one 4 years after introduction of the Model S)
  • doors and storage consoles that are wrapped in a soft / compliant leather, with *integrated* storage space & cup holders
  • a rear pull-down center armrest
  • more compliant ride / suspension on par with other luxury brands
  • active noise cancellation and/or improved insulating cabin / passive noise reduction
  • premium audio that is more on par with offerings from Audi / Porsche / BMW
Obviously, there are countless posts that have pointed out such shortcomings, so this is old news. Probably what sums it up for me, is when I have a wife that says the interior of my new $110k car "feels like a golf cart". Frankly, its hard to argue with her. But hey, I still pulled the trigger and purchased a Model S knowing the technology is years ahead of the competition.

Tesla has really made their interiors beautifully simple. I love them. Please Elon and Franz, never give in and go down the useless clutter rat hole...
Franz must have felt "artistic freedom" with designing this car. He was given free reign. And he did an awesome job!
easy entry/exit steering wheel
doors and storage consoles

I end up manually raising the steering wheel often because it is so much easier to get in/out. I'm not heavy/overly tall 6' 195lbs but feel like I have to squeeze in with the wheel where I like it for driving. This simple comfort would have been nice to have.
Door storage: Many complaints for that and i agree

end up manually raising the steering wheel often because it is so much easier to get in/out
Here is a simple solution: create an "entry/exit" (or whatever you want to name it) profile in the list that shows your driver profile and any others you may have created. This new profile has the steering wheel raised up to max and the seat back farther. Select "entry/exit" every time you get out of the car. Makes it easier to get out, and easier to get in.

Here is a simple solution: create an "entry/exit" (or whatever you want to name it) profile in the list that shows your driver profile and any others you may have created. This new profile has the steering wheel raised up to max and the seat back farther. Select "entry/exit" every time you get out of the car. Makes it easier to get out, and easier to get in.
I learned this trick on another thread a few months ago. Pro tip: it is easy to forget that you've left the car in this setting and wind up
driving around with things all out of place; to avoid that, change the display layout in this profile to something very different than what
your real profile uses so you get an immediate visual reminder when you get in the car. That is, until they add the voice greeting that
would say "Hello, exit, are you ready to drive the future?" as you enter, rather than "Hello, <insert your real driver profile name here>,
are you ready to drive the future?".

Pro tip: it is easy to forget that you've left the car in this setting and wind up
driving around with things all out of place...
Not in my experience. The "entry/exit" profile my spouse created and insists I use (I forget sometimes) has the seat all the way back and the steering wheel raised all the way up and pushed all the way forward. There is no way I can get in the car with that profile selected and not realize that it is not my personal profile.

Reactions: Chopr147
Rather, here are specific items that I will miss in my new Model S, which for me should be standard offerings in a $100k+ vehicle:
  • leather seating with the comfort / quality / adjustability that you'd find in an Audi / Porsche / BMW today
  • rear controls for individually zoned climate control (and up until this month, rear cup holders & power ports)
  • coat hooks and grab handles (I can't believe I'm even typing this one 4 years after introduction of the Model S)
  • doors and storage consoles that are wrapped in a soft / compliant leather, with *integrated* storage space & cup holders
  • active noise cancellation and/or improved insulating cabin / passive noise reduction

Good comments and I agree completely whereas I am the person who hates the "posh" or "luxurious" complaints of many who want the Tesla interior to resemble that of a Porsche, BMW or Mercedes, which are too busy and ugly for my liking. I love my no-center consulate minimulist Tesla. But the comments you make ring a bell with me. We need cup holders in all the doors, grab handles, and more USB and 12volt plugs, plus an inverter! For a tech car, it's severely lacking in tech!

For a tech car, it's severely lacking in tech
... gadgetry? You certainly can't say with a straight face that the overall car is lacking in tech.
I wouldn't mind an inverter with a 120v outlet either in the frunk or the trunk area, as long as it's
not cluttering up the cabin. I'll agree with grab handles, though as with many of these things it would be nice if
they were options (not really practical for Tesla to support at their present scale) so that those don't want them
don't have to have them.

The car is what it is. We are picking our second Tesla up tomorrow afternoon, so I guess we are voting with out wallet. For any faults it may have, it is a blast to drive and when you have kids still in car and booster seats how can you possibly have more fun than driving a Tesla?

Reactions: Chopr147
Obviously, there are countless posts that have pointed out such shortcomings, so this is old news. Probably what sums it up for me, is when I have a wife that says the interior of my new $110k car "feels like a golf cart". Frankly, its hard to argue with her. But hey, I still pulled the trigger and purchased a Model S knowing the technology is years ahead of the competition.

My list was shorter.
I found every $100k+ offering was lacking an electric drive train and most were also missing stunning good looks.

I have an Audi S7, and last week I purchased a new D90. I agree that the Model S interior is certainly "cleaner" versus luxury $100k European cars like mine, or for that matter, the all-too-confusing Porsches these days. But folks are right when they say that the interior of a Model S isn't luxurious... and I don't think people mean its about the number of switches, knobs, or little do-hickeys you find in other cars.

I get this and it seems like a very appropriate and reasonable list and I have little doubt that Tesla will eventually get around to addressing some of these items in the future, but I think some people are missing the original poster's point here. The fact is, it's a "$100,000 car" because of the technology that is packed into the vehicle. The other super luxury cars that are comparable in price have to pile on all of the "deluxe features" they do in order to make their vehicles seem like they are worth the price despite the fact that, at their core, they are still just another vehicle with an internal combustion engine. The only significant difference between their entry level models and their super luxury models are all the extra bells & whistles that they tack on, nothing more, nothing less.

With Tesla, the $100,000 gets you a huge paradigm shift in personal transport and it's sitting in your garage every morning, with a full battery, just waiting for you to hop on in and take it for a high-power, neck-snapping, virtually emissions-free spin and THAT is the luxury that you are opting for when you buy a Tesla. When you say you want all of that PLUS all the bells & whistles that the super luxury ICEs have, then you're no longer talking about a $100k car, what you're now asking for is a $180-$200K luxury car, well that, or you're asking for the impossible, which is for them to add all that incredible EV technology to a car that is exactly equal to ICE super luxury cars in every other aspect and not raise the price at all. That's not a realistic nor reasonable request, is it? Like I said, I'm pretty sure Tesla will eventually get around to upping the "luxe factor", but naturally, we're going to have to wait until they have come out with more models before there is any practical reason for them to put forth an effort towards differentiating one of their cars as being the "more luxurious" model. Two huge adult steps...baby step....baby step...one adolescent step backwards...baby step...baby step...baby step...

DISCLAIMER: I realize I'm preaching, not to the converted, but to the ordained, but everyone else was having so much fun, I just had to jump in with my pair of copper Abes. :)

I get this and it seems like a very appropriate and reasonable list and I have little doubt that Tesla will eventually get around to addressing some of these items in the future, but I think some people are missing the original poster's point here. The fact is, it's a "$100,000 car" because of the technology that is packed into the vehicle. The other super luxury cars that are comparable in price have to pile on all of the "deluxe features" they do in order to make their vehicles seem like they are worth the price despite the fact that, at their core, they are still just another vehicle with an internal combustion engine. The only significant difference between their entry level models and their super luxury models are all the extra bells & whistles that they tack on, nothing more, nothing less.

With Tesla, the $100,000 gets you a huge paradigm shift in personal transport and it's sitting in your garage every morning, with a full battery, just waiting for you to hop on in and take it for a high-power, neck-snapping, virtually emissions-free spin and THAT is the luxury that you are opting for when you buy a Tesla. When you say you want all of that PLUS all the bells & whistles that the super luxury ICEs have, then you're no longer talking about a $100k car, what you're now asking for is a $180-$200K luxury car, well that, or you're asking for the impossible, which is for them to add all that incredible EV technology to a car that is exactly equal to ICE super luxury cars in every other aspect and not raise the price at all. That's not a realistic nor reasonable request, is it? Like I said, I'm pretty sure Tesla will eventually get around to upping the "luxe factor", but naturally, we're going to have to wait until they have come out with more models before there is any practical reason for them to put forth an effort towards differentiating one of their cars as being the "more luxurious" model. Two huge adult steps...baby step....baby step...one adolescent step backwards...baby step...baby step...baby step...

DISCLAIMER: I realize I'm preaching, not to the converted, but to the ordained, but everyone else was having so much fun, I just had to jump in with my pair of copper Abes. :)
Folding down seats or USB in the back of said tech car adds 80k? Simple stuff. XM radio?

Folding down seats or USB in the back of said tech car adds 80k? Simple stuff. XM radio?

So, how much more would you be willing to pay for the specific items that you feel are necessary to call it a "true super luxury vehicle"? The list of items I have seen that people find lacking in order for it to be comparable to ICEs at the same price level aren't just a few little items and they come with added manufacturing cost. No one actually seems to be talking about how much more they think the car should cost with these extra "missing items" and that's not really a realistic expectation, is it?

Last edited:
So, how much more would you be willing to pay for the specific items that you feel are necessary to call it a "true super luxury vehicle"? The list of items I have seen that people find lacking in order for it to be comparable to ICEs at the same price level aren't just a few little items and they come with added manufacturing cost. No one actually seems to be talking about how much more they think the car should cost with these extra "missing items" and that's not really a realistic expectation, is it?

That's not anyone's point.

Some want super luxury. I do not. I'm in the camp that the price should include these vs funding model 3 or tesla infrastructure for cheaper cars later. Seems a bit communist to me.

Folding seats in a $100,000 SUV? Literally all my sedans have had it ranging from $1200-$60,000 cars.

That's not anyone's point.

Some want super luxury. I do not. I'm in the camp that the price should include these vs funding model 3 or tesla infrastructure for cheaper cars later. Seems a bit communist to me.

Folding seats in a $100,000 SUV? Literally all my sedans have had it ranging from $1200-$60,000 cars.

Really? Communist? Heavy sigh... With your apparent keen insight as to the intricate workings of free enterprise and capitalism, I'm sure you'll have no problems making billions with the EV manufacturing company you'll be starting up to put Tesla out of business, since it's such "simple stuff" and the competition's weak spots are so obvious to you. Good luck, didn't mean to disturb your fantasy world.

Really? Communist? Heavy sigh... With your apparent keen insight as to the intricate workings of free enterprise and capitalism, I'm sure you'll have no problems making billions with the EV manufacturing company you'll be starting up to put Tesla out of business, since it's such "simple stuff" and the competition's weak spots are so obvious to you. Good luck, didn't mean to disturb your fantasy world.

Add simple stuff that doesn't cost Much... more cars sold.. overall more money to build infrastructure and electric mass autos.

I do have insight of free enterprise and capitalism. Sometimes I think Tesla does not. Great company with vision but their business acumen leaves something to be desired.