Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires unimpressive but expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model X for a few weeks and have a little over 1000 miles on it. Today I pulled into a parking spot and hit the curb adjacent to the parking spot. My tire split along the side and had to be replaced. The cost for the tire was $350 plus labor.

Maybe I hit the curb on just the magical angle, but I was going like 5 Mph. I can't imagine that these tires would hold up on anything off road.

Is anyone else concerned about tire quality?

Also, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have some kind of tire guarantee or insurance service. Any ideas?

I have had my Model X for a few weeks and have a little over 1000 miles on it. Today I pulled into a parking spot and hit the curb adjacent to the parking spot. My tire split along the side and had to be replaced. The cost for the tire was $350 plus labor.

Maybe I hit the curb on just the magical angle, but I was going like 5 Mph. I can't imagine that these tires would hold up on anything off road.

Also, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have some kind of tire guarantee or insurance service. Any ideas?
I had a similar experience parking my car. My car has Continental tires. America's Tire charged me $297 plus labor to change the rear tire. They also offer road hazard warranty at $45 per tire.

Were these the 20 or 22" tires?

My 2015 P85D has Continental ContiSportContact 5 245/35R21 96W XL ContiSilent tires. I bought America's Tire road hazard warranties for only $45 per tire 10 minutes after I took delivery on my Tesla... and they've replaced TWO of these tires from sidewall punctures in 15,000 miles. I love the handling and quiet of these tires but without the AmTire warranties I would be very unhappy.

Fortunately I had years of experience driving with low profile high performance tires on my 2006 Corvette Z06 so this wasn't a surprise for me. I also had AmTire warranties on those tires too which saved me thousand$ over the 10 years I drove my Z06.

19" tires are definitely more resistant to potholes, curbs, etc. but don't have the look and performance of the lower profile 21" tires.

Which tires and what size do you have?

Its definitely a crossover, not an off road vehicle. But "no more than an S" seems a stretch. Doesn't the X have significantly higher ground clearance at the highest setting? (Thus leading to dreaded Acceleration Shudder)

About 6” more in the highest setting IIRC. So minimally beyond an S. It would help with approach and breakover angles but it doesn’t actually have more underbody protection.

Traction, I’d say they’re a wash with the same software/motors, and tires aren’t significantly better. They both have crawls and torque reduction settings (Ie, chill) and the same waterproofing in the batteries. I can’t think of any off reading features the X would have that an S wouldn’t otherwise

• Love
Reactions: mal_tsla
About 6” more in the highest setting IIRC. So minimally beyond an S. It would help with approach and breakover angles but it doesn’t actually have more underbody protection.

Traction, I’d say they’re a wash with the same software/motors, and tires aren’t significantly better. They both have crawls and torque reduction settings (Ie, chill) and the same waterproofing in the batteries. I can’t think of any off reading features the X would have that an S wouldn’t otherwise

6" more sounds like a boat-load. Is the S really THAT low?

That's like 30%, but yeah it is no Wrangler

Another issue is the approach and departure clearance is very limited because of the overhang. Look at a jeep CJ and notice how there is little to get hung up in front or behind the wheels. Even the Jeep Grand Caravan I had in the late 1990s was good in this area. We regularly took it off road in the Sierras. No way I am trying that in the X.

Would be curious if "Wheel Bands" would have helped. I do lots of curb parking myself and looking for ways to protect the rims/wheels..

Wheel Bands Kit for Tesla Model X

One curb rash incident and these will get partially torn off. You’re out the full cost to replace a small segment. They’re not a good idea.

I’ve started fixing mild to moderate curb rash with some 200 grit sandpaper and wheel touch-up paint. Much cheaper.