Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Weak WiFi Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, tethered to phone, place phone on top of driver mirror, 4 bars. On top of passenger mirror, 5 bars.

Tried to reconnect to home network, fluctuating between 1 to 3 bars but now a new problem:

View attachment 540672

Thinking its more a network config issue than a problem with the car although it connected OK yesterday.
Could be worth a shot, but looks like you have a Virgin Media Hub. Go into settings and disable 5ghz and leave the 2.4 on. Change the channel to 3 or 6 and have a go at that?

I find my VM hub plays buggers with some android devices as the bounce between the 2.4 and 5 and lose connectivity or are slow

Settings on the VM hub!

Could be worth a shot, but looks like you have a Virgin Media Hub. Go into settings and disable 5ghz and leave the 2.4 on. Change the channel to 3 or 6 and have a go at that?

I find my VM hub plays buggers with some android devices as the bounce between the 2.4 and 5 and lose connectivity or are slow

Settings on the VM hub!
Thanks. My VM hub is in modem only mode as it is rubbish as a WiFi router.

I'm using a TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System now which is working great everywhere apart from the car! I can't change the channels unfortunately but can change the band. Unfortunately I need the 5Ghz band to be active on that particular hub as it's the main one I use in the office.

Thanks. My VM hub is in modem only mode as it is rubbish as a WiFi router.

I'm using a TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System now which is working great everywhere apart from the car! I can't change the channels unfortunately but can change the band. Unfortunately I need the 5Ghz band to be active on that particular hub as it's the main one I use in the office.
Agree about the VM hub. Looking to do a similar setup with a mesh but not got around to it yet.

Stumped at problem, if you're tethered to the car and step away say 3m from the passenger mirror does the WiFi signal weaken? The only explanation I can think is a broken connection if it displays a weak signal? This happens when I setup routers with no antenna attached, you can still get full signal close by but drops rapidly when you walk away a few feet

Agree about the VM hub. Looking to do a similar setup with a mesh but not got around to it yet.

Stumped at problem, if you're tethered to the car and step away say 3m from the passenger mirror does the WiFi signal weaken? The only explanation I can think is a broken connection if it displays a weak signal? This happens when I setup routers with no antenna attached, you can still get full signal close by but drops rapidly when you walk away a few feet
Thanks for your help. When tethered the signal does weaken the moment I move the phone away from the car and down to 3 bars when I'm in the car with the doors closed. Maybe it's time for a ranger visit Covid-19 allowing.

For context, this is how far the WiFi hub is from the car :)

20200511_190825.jpg

Reactions: davidmc
Hi,

I am really frustrated with the Wifi Signal. I have moved the BT router to the entrance of the house, parked the car in the driveway let's say 3 meters from it, and still can't update anything. I see a yellow arrow and the router has a green tick box...nothing happens. Silly question: if I leave the car supposedly connected and lock it up, will it still supposedly download/update?

Does the car need to be unlocked/switched on to do these updates?

I have only had my car for 3 days now...still getting used to it. But this update thing it's annoying me. What other options do i have? should I go to a supercharger and update the car there?

I have also changed the channel in the 2.4GHz setting to channel 6, just in case. It was previously in channel 1.

Thanks

Hi,

I am really frustrated with the Wifi Signal. I have moved the BT router to the entrance of the house, parked the car in the driveway let's say 3 meters from it, and still can't update anything. I see a yellow arrow and the router has a green tick box...nothing happens. Silly question: if I leave the car supposedly connected and lock it up, will it still supposedly download/update?

I have only had my car for 3 days now...still getting used to it. But this update thing it's annoying me. What other options do i have? should I go to a supercharger and update the car there?

I have also changed the channel in the 2.4GHz setting to channel 6, just in case. It was previously in channel 1.

Thanks
Are you trying to download firmware 2020.20 by any chance?

Mine connects but wont download this firmware which i belive Tesla may have put a stop to it (Few issues by the sounds of it)

Hi,

The car doesn't need to be unlocked or activated specially. Can you get useable data via wifi on the car screen for the web browser or whatever? Are there now wifi connection bars showing? Have you received a message that the car is ready to download an update?

The car doesn't need to be unlocked or activated specially. Can you get useable data via wifi on the car screen for the web browser or whatever? Are there now wifi connection bars showing? Have you received a message that the car is ready to download an update?

wow very quick interactions here fellas!

Well I can see other wifi signals, some with more bars than others.

I have not received an specific message but I see the yellow arrow next to the 3G/LTE and tapping on it says there's an update available and that I have to connect to the Wifi. The firmware is 2020.20.10 I think?

I connect to the router but only has 1 bar, some moments has 2...

If your car is connected to the router, you should get the update. I have two WiFi transmitters, one is hard wired and set to extend the signal.
That one would dent the boot if it fell out of the window as it is just above it but the car prefers to link to the main hub which is three walls away with only one or two bars max.
I have never seen a strong WiFi signal in any circumstance.The aerial is in the RH drivers mirror but I doubt you will get more than two bars if you hung a WiFi hub off the mirror!

• Disagree
Reactions: NewbieT
I connect to the router but only has 1 bar, some moments has 2...

Some people have had success using their phone as a wifi hotspot ... worth a try perhaps. Also if you have any space to angle the car so that the side angles towards the router as the antenna is in the wing mirror ... there have been questions over which side! Used to be said right side and then left ... suck it and see. Car wifi reception is bizarre it has to be said ... it seems to be particularly directional.

If your car is connected to the router, you should get the update. I have two WiFi transmitters, one is hard wired and set to extend the signal.
That one would dent the boot if it fell out of the window as it is just above it but the car prefers to link to the main hub which is three walls away with only one or two bars max.
I have never seen a strong WiFi signal in any circumstance.The aerial is in the RH drivers mirror but I doubt you will get more than two bars if you hung a WiFi hub off the mirror!

I thought about getting one of this wifi extenders but reading some posts it seems that it's not a great solution either...

It seems connected but I don't see anything happening, i.e. the green bar in the update box does not go forward.

Some people have had success using their phone as a wifi hotspot ... worth a try perhaps. Also if you have any space to angle the car so that the side angles towards the router as the antenna is in the wing mirror ... there have been questions over which side! Used to be said right side and then left ... suck it and see. Car wifi reception is bizarre it has to be said ... it seems to be particularly directional.

yep and this adds to the frustration when we are supposed to get the utmost important updates via Wifi and the car sucks at it!

All this technology and the Wifi is the weak spot, unbelievable!

I even thought to go and park near a Tesla Service and try to get the update there, but if it takes hours...

Yep, it's completely nuts. I've had 3 bars tops within a few feet of my wifi access point ... then one day the car was parked 50 yards away and was showing a couple of bars!

I had the same grief, in the end it was fixed by accident. I bought a 4 pack of Tenda mesh network points to fix dodgy upstairs and garden wifi. Completely resolved weak signal in the car. Odd because the network point closest is exactly where the old TP-Link wifi router was. Paid £70 for them from eBuyer.

well I'm puzzled with that statement as I have found that sometimes the car is connected to our WiFi (seen in the router logs) from the parking and when tested even my iPhone will not connect from that spot due weak signal too far away due living in a flat...
other times if struggles to connect to my iPhone hotspot while on top the dashboard...

one thing I have done is forced the WiFi router to be on channel 1 (2.4GHz) as Tesla uses US channels?

also found out that with GiffGaff SIM it wouldn't connect while with the same iPhone on a SMARTY SIM no issues (most of the times)

WiFi and the Model 3 is a mystery for me

I thought an image would be worth a thousand words so here we go:

Firmware update to 2020.20.12
Theoretically connected with 1 bar, sometimes 2
Been like this for 3 days and the green progress bar doesn’t move
I have left the car locked

Frustrating

Attachments

• 2B7FDAB2-32AE-40BD-9340-46F3615B1F00.jpeg
    2B7FDAB2-32AE-40BD-9340-46F3615B1F00.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 51
I thought an image would be worth a thousand words so here we go:

Firmware update to 2020.20.12
Theoretically connected with 1 bar, sometimes 2
Been like this for 3 days and the green progress bar doesn’t move
I have left the car locked

Frustrating

Wifi looks fine according to the symbol but a questionable wifi signal is often implicated. Have you tried a double steering wheel button re-boot? It has been known for downloads to get "stuck" and if the worst comes to the worst it can be "pushed" from Tesla if you raise a service request. I vaguely remember having one of the updates having a few goes before it dowloaded properly ... couldn't tell you which one. Usually it's a totally pain free experience but this is not something you need, particularly if relatively new to the car. (Meantime, though this is a pain, you really aren't missing anything with 2020.20.12)

Well I can see other wifi signals, some with more bars than others.

Try different channels. Sounds like you have other signals to contend with, so unless you can see which channels are less congested, its going to be a bit hit and miss which ones are more right than others.