Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Iceland Meetup 2020!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am up for this. Will try to persuade the wife to come, but she's scared of flying, so unlikely, plus she's pretty sick to death os Tesla vie me, so a room full of Tesla people, talking about Tesla, might give her a stroke...

I don't fly much either - any advice on how to find a cheap flight?
I seldom fly either. 3½ years ago we took Icelandair I believe (Daugher made the reservations) but on the return it turned out their plane needed care so the whole planeload were bussed to the far end of Keflavík to board an older plane (where our checked-in seats were no longer adjacent) run by Aeroflot. Now, it wasn't much money but it certainly was not worth it. Bad luck I guess. Made it home in one piece (each).

Airlines are prone to violent restructuring. I do believe Icelandair tries hard to be competitive, for patriotic reasons, and offers good deals for Transatlantic fares with a stopover for tourism.

'Net is your friend, my friend. Seek and you might find. Here endeth ... ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Tslynk67
I am up for this. Will try to persuade the wife to come, but she's scared of flying, so unlikely, plus she's pretty sick to death os Tesla vie me, so a room full of Tesla people, talking about Tesla, might give her a stroke...

If there's too much Tesla chat in one hot tub, she can pop on over to another one, or the steam room, or sauna, or a hot saltwater bath... hard to be upset with anything when soaking in hot water ;)

(Seriously, this will be totally non-formal; people can come and go as they please :) )

As for the flying-scared: the sort of aircraft that fly overseas are really big ones that fly high and are relatively immune to turbulence. The flights are really nondescript. Nothing ever happens. I've flown back and forth plenty to the US and never had an eventful flight.

Last edited:
Seeking feedback:

1) Invite Tesla fans/investors from other pro-Tesla sites/groups?
2) Should I try to keep the number of attendees below some fixed number? Note that we can split up as desired, while congregating for big group activities (tree planting, group photos, etc).

There's still some people who expressed interest who are yet to RSVP. Using a ratio of 0,1x for "probably not coming" people; 0,5x for "maybe coming" people; 0,85x for "probably coming" people; and 0,99x for "definitely coming" people - and an average 1,4x people per group - we have an expected number of 17 people coming. The above numbers may be a bit of an overestimate, depending on everyone's interpretation of the wording, cancellation rates, etc of course.

94% of people would be there for the whole event.
62% of people would be there for an extended period and would like to spend it with others (mean ~4 days extra)
69% of people are interested in pooling cars (would be awesome if they could all be Teslas! :) )
75% are interested in sharing apartments; 1/6th of them don't care if they have a private bedroom.

Beyond the previously-addressed comments, and comments about the probability of people coming, we get the comment:
  • "I like beer" - Dinner at a local microbrewery added to the list ;) (unless anyone's opposed!)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: madodel and kbM3
If there's too much Tesla chat in one hot tub, she can pop on over to another one, or the steam room, or sauna, or a hot saltwater bath... hard to be upset with anything when soaking in hot water ;)

(Seriously, this will be totally non-formal; people can come and go as they please :) )

As for the flying-scared: the sort of aircraft that fly overseas are really big ones that fly high and are relatively immune to turbulence. The flights are really nondescript. Nothing ever happens. I've flown back and forth plenty to the US and never had an eventful flight.
Once I was supposed to take Great Lakes Airlines from Phoenix to Page, AZ. I flew in on another airline, got my bag, went to the Great Lakes counter and was told the FAA had shut them down. I rented a car. On another trip I was booked through probably on United and the last leg turned out to be Great Lakes Airlines. I mentioned at the counter that the last time I tried to fly they were shut down by the FAA. No response. I boarded the 19 seat turboprop plane. It was very hot, with a portable air conditioner outside and a flexible duct sending cold air into the cabin through the door without making it cool. People on board were talking about being unhappy about flying is such a small plane. When we were about to leave the co-pilot who looked like Dom Deluise popped into the front of the cabin and said: 'I'm supposed to show you how to open this door in the event of an emergency (there was no staff in the cabin) but you don't need to know that because if there's a problem I'll be the the first one out.' And he didn't. Two women sitting beside each other were in a crash position with their heads between their knees and their hands behind their heads as we took off.

Like Karen said the planes that fly to Iceland are big. They seldom crash. Also they have a cabin crew who will open the door if you crash land. It could be on water though.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Seeking feedback:

2) Should I try to keep the number of attendees below some fixed number? Note that we can split up as desired, while congregating for big group activities (tree planting, group photos, etc).

There's still some people who expressed interest who are yet to RSVP. Using a ratio of 0,1x for "probably not coming" people; 0,5x for "maybe coming" people; 0,85x for "probably coming" people; and 0,99x for "definitely coming" people - and an average 1,4x people per group - we have an expected number of 17 people coming. The above numbers may be a bit of an overestimate, depending on everyone's interpretation of the wording, cancellation rates, etc of course.

94% of people would be there for the whole event.
62% of people would be there for an extended period and would like to spend it with others (mean ~4 days extra)
69% of people are interested in pooling cars (would be awesome if they could all be Teslas! :) )
75% are interested in sharing apartments; 1/6th of them don't care if they have a private bedroom.

Beyond the previously-addressed comments, and comments about the probability of people coming, we get the comment:
  • "I like beer" - Dinner at a local microbrewery added to the list ;) (unless anyone's opposed!)

Screw mountains, glaciers and aurora, does the microbrewery have accommodation? :D

Last edited:
Once I was supposed to take Great Lakes Airlines from Phoenix to Page, AZ. I flew in on another airline, got my bag, went to the Great Lakes counter and was told the FAA had shut them down. I rented a car. On another trip I was booked through probably on United and the last leg turned out to be Great Lakes Airlines. I mentioned at the counter that the last time I tried to fly they were shut down by the FAA. No response. I boarded the 19 seat turboprop plane. It was very hot, with a portable air conditioner outside and a flexible duct sending cold air into the cabin through the door without making it cool. People on board were talking about being unhappy about flying is such a small plane. When we were about to leave the co-pilot who looked like Dom Deluise popped into the front of the cabin and said: 'I'm supposed to show you how to open this door in the event of an emergency (there was no staff in the cabin) but you don't need to know that because if there's a problem I'll be the the first one out.' And he didn't. Two women sitting beside each other were in a crash position with their heads between their knees and their hands behind their heads as we took off.

Like Karen said the planes that fly to Iceland are big. They seldom crash. Also they have a cabin crew who will open the door if you crash land. It could be on water though.
Can you be more specific on your definition of "seldom"? I may hitch a ride on an iceberg.

I told my better half that there will be a Tesla Widows Commiserate, Console, and Support Group.

Unfortunately, icebergs generally melt before they get here. Although we do at regular intervals get stupid tourists climbing on the icebergs that shed off glaciers at Jökulsárlón and getting swept out into the water. ;)

So, I think most of the TMC people who expressed interest have RSVP'ed now. Updating the previous post, with the same statistical-likelihood interpretations for probably not/maybe/probably/definitely coming, and the size of the average group (1,43 people) = 20 people

91% of people would be there for the whole event.
67% of people would be there for an extended period and would like to spend it with others (mean 4,8, median ~3,5 days extra)
72% of people are interested in pooling cars (would be awesome if they could all be Teslas! :) )
77% are interested in sharing apartments; 18% of them don't care if they have a private bedroom.

Still haven't heard back on this part below:

Regardless of the answer to the above, once I think we've gotten most of our RSVPs, I'll start looking into rooms to book for the shared-room people. Since Tesla still thinks cars are going to start being delivered in the first part of March, I'll probably wait until the end of March to see if the rental companies picked up any (or any private people who'd be willing to rent), and if so, book them. Sound good? :)

Bookings would be based on the probabity-estimated number of people who'd need them, with an extra ~25% or so of private bedrooms/seats in cars booked as a precaution (sound good? :) ). Bookings can always be changed at a later date as peoples' plans firm up - either more added or some cancelled :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: riverFox
Unfortunately, icebergs generally melt before they get here. Although we do at regular intervals get stupid tourists climbing on the icebergs that shed off glaciers at Jökulsárlón and getting swept out into the water. ;)

So, I think most of the TMC people who expressed interest have RSVP'ed now. Updating the previous post, with the same statistical-likelihood interpretations for probably not/maybe/probably/definitely coming, and the size of the average group (1,43 people) = 20 people

91% of people would be there for the whole event.
67% of people would be there for an extended period and would like to spend it with others (mean 4,8, median ~3,5 days extra)
72% of people are interested in pooling cars (would be awesome if they could all be Teslas! :) )
77% are interested in sharing apartments; 18% of them don't care if they have a private bedroom.

Still haven't heard back on this part below:

Regardless of the answer to the above, once I think we've gotten most of our RSVPs, I'll start looking into rooms to book for the shared-room people. Since Tesla still thinks cars are going to start being delivered in the first part of March, I'll probably wait until the end of March to see if the rental companies picked up any (or any private people who'd be willing to rent), and if so, book them. Sound good? :)

Bookings would be based on the probabity-estimated number of people who'd need them, with an extra ~25% or so of private bedrooms/seats in cars booked as a precaution (sound good? :) ). Bookings can always be changed at a later date as peoples' plans firm up - either more added or some cancelled :)

I’m okay with however many you’d like to invite. All else sounds good.

What about inviting Rob Maurer, Galileo, or other Youtubers?

I might even be willing to partially chip in some for them:)

Hmmm, flights are not expensive, Brussels to Reykjavik return for $320. That would be arrival Thursday evening and departure early Monday. Icelandair.

Asked the wife, told her to sleep on it...

Example prices from Europe to iceland round trip in june.
US people could combine trip to Europe.
I think I'll go to London. Then on to Iceland on Easyjet.

upload_2020-1-18_7-47-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-18_7-50-45.png
    upload_2020-1-18_7-50-45.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 40