Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To ceramic coat or not to ceramic coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much decided I was going to get my new M3P ceramic coated to make washing easier and having it always look freshly waxed just after a wash and watched a vid on youtube from a detailer who said if you are only going to keep the car 3 years or so it's not really worth it. Not sure how long I will keep it but seems like if you only keep it 3 years or 6 years it would still be nice to have it done for easier washing and such. Thoughts?

It's worth it in my opinion, but it may not be worth it in your opinion. I ceramic coated the wrap, and do not expect to own the car for 2 years max...it's getting traded in as soon as they put upgrades on a newer version.

Pretty much decided I was going to get my new M3P ceramic coated to make washing easier and having it always look freshly waxed just after a wash and watched a vid on youtube from a detailer who said if you are only going to keep the car 3 years or so it's not really worth it. Not sure how long I will keep it but seems like if you only keep it 3 years or 6 years it would still be nice to have it done for easier washing and such. Thoughts?
It is easier to wash with ceramic coatings but you still have to wash it, so shrugs. That's not a reason why I chose to do ceramic myself. But more importantly, I did the ceramic after a full front PPF. Then the ceramic brings some advantages like the sio2 hard coat that is resistant to a lot of things that fall onto the car but you still have to wash it soon something like bird droppings. Also there are some annoying things about ceramic like for ex. on a flat surface after say a rain, there's no gravity or wind to pull the water off so it just sits there and evaporates leaving water marks and you could have a ton of these since the droplets ball up instead of breaking down into like a sheet of water. That said I love the ceramic coating, albeit on top of PPF. I mention the PPF because I think that is more important than ceramic. I'd rather not have the front end look like its been sandblasted after a couple years.

If you are concerned about cost, there are DIY consumer-grade ceramic coatings that are cheap and relatively easy to apply. For example, I just bought Gyeon Cancoat Evo for $59.00. It is very easy to apply and will provide about 18 months of protection.

There are also ceramic-infused spray sealants. They are not nearly as durable as actual ceramic coatings, but they are easier to apply and are more forgiving if you make a mistake. Examples are Griot’s Garage Ceramic 3-in1 Wax and Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant. You need to reapply these once every 4 to 6 months.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
I did it myself using avolon king. It worked good. I have had it on 1.5 years now, water still beads nice. I agree about water spots though. I have hard well water. I get bad spots after I wash unless I towel dry the car. I have tried spot free car soap to no avail.

I'm going through this same decision myself. Taking delivery this Saturday and debating whether to do the front PPF + ceramic. Just got a quote here from a well regarded installer in the SFV in Los Angeles. Quote was $2750 for everything and 2-3 days to do it.
That's for full body PPF and Ceramic? If so that's a great price. I paid $4500 for front end PPF (bumper, fenders, A pillar, mirrors) and ceramic on everything (including calipers and wheels)

That's for full body PPF and Ceramic? If so that's a great price. I paid $4500 for front end PPF (bumper, fenders, A pillar, mirrors) and ceramic on everything (including calipers and wheels)
No, I'm just doing the front end PPF (full hood, full fenders, headlights, mirrors front bumper) + ceramic on what I assumed was the entire car. I'll have to confirm whether the cost of the ceramic was for the entire vehicle. Given the pre-discount cost I assumed it was.

Scratching from a finger touch? Can you please elaborate? Your comment re: Subaru paint resonates with me. I had a 2002 WRX and the paint on that thing was awful (loved the car, though).
Closing one of the rear doors with your finger on the paint will leave clear coat scratches from your finger. To be fair it happens on a lot of new vehicles these days but my wife just got a new Genesis GV70 and the paint is not nearly as soft.

Couldn't you just get the whole car repainted for less money? lol

I'm not doing the PPF or ceramic coating. Just not worth the money to me for a car I'll drive 2-3 years and replace.

Reactions: Perscitus