Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To get Carpool Sticker now or wait until 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Green stickers replaced the Yellow, specifically meaning hybrid. The white has always meant BEV

-Randy
The green sticker is for plug in hybrids. Where the car can at least be propelled for X amount of miles under battery power. I want to say the battery had to be at least 6kw or larger. Hybrid batteries are tiny. Like 2.5kw and hybrids can’t be driven solely on battery alone.

That’s the difference between green and yellow

Reactions: FalconFour
The green sticker is for plug in hybrids. Where the car can at least be propelled for X amount of miles under battery power. I want to say the battery had to be at least 6kw or larger. Hybrid batteries are tiny. Like 2.5kw and hybrids can’t be driven solely on battery alone.

That’s the difference between green and yellow

i think the gen2/gen3 prius have something like 900wh batteries... really small. the original plug in prius has (IIRC) a 4.8kwh battery but only 60% is exposed to the user, so in effect it is a 2.9kwh battery. goes between 9 and 12 miles on electric. and it was, i believe, the first car eligible for green stickers (i have one of the first 2012 PiPs, and my sticker number is in the high 200s.)

you can drive a regular prius on electric only if a) you are really careful not to ask for too much torque or b) you install the double-secret EV mode switch. however, you can go about 2 miles if you are lucky.

the spirit of the green sticker was very much in the spirit of the yellow sticker - it's like for next-gen hybrids, that is, plug-in hybrids.

Along my commute the HOV lanes are often slower than other lanes, and the continuing success of the Model 3 will only exacerbate that trend. It's a good problem to have, but it raises questions about the policy.

Looking ahead to 2022, will there be any benefit to HOV access? If EVs can stand on their own, will red stickers be the last gasp of California's HOV access program for EVs? If EV buyers continue to need incentives, will California convert more general-access lanes to HOV lanes? Should we mimic DC's I-66, where all lanes are HOV-only during commute hours?

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilesuit818
they're still helpful for getting across the bay bridge in the morning. but i agree that the carpool lanes, at least on 880N in the afternoon, are just as clogged as any other lane. but i believe some of this is due to the fact that almost every day there are 2-3 accidents on 880...

Now on this page under White CAV Decals: Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.​

So, check your mail... and don't delay returning the form! :)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Now on this page under White CAV Decals: Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.​

So, check your mail... and don't delay returning the form! :)

What is wrong with the DMV? They are being proactive and not asking for another $22?

This is a scam. Fake news.

meaning what exactly? you turned in the form on your own? or they just sent you a new set of stickers and glovebox certificate? there's no "ID card" that i'm aware of so not sure what you mean.

I didn’t have to do anything.
They just sent me a new glove box certificate. That’s what I meant when I said ID card. Couldn’t think of the description at the moment

8F9CA101-74B5-4202-969C-650BE0A409DC.jpeg

oh, well that's different. some of us have *white* stickers on cars that are still eligible for carpool stickers (for instance, bolt purchased in 2017, tesla purchased in 2017, etc.) which will require a new set of red stickers to remain carpool-legal after jan 1 2019.

since you already had red stickers, all they had to do was send you that certificate. for the rest of us, there's the small matter of applying for and receiving new stickers... until the DMV said they would just send pre-filled forms, it was entirely unclear to us how to proceed.

oh, well that's different. some of us have *white* stickers on cars that are still eligible for carpool stickers (for instance, bolt purchased in 2017, tesla purchased in 2017, etc.) which will require a new set of red stickers to remain carpool-legal after jan 1 2019.

since you already had red stickers, all they had to do was send you that certificate. for the rest of us, there's the small matter of applying for and receiving new stickers... until the DMV said they would just send pre-filled forms, it was entirely unclear to us how to proceed.

White stickers will probably have to re apply. And pay $22. As of 9/26.
White Clean Air Vehicle Decals are no longer being issued, but are valid until January 1, 2019 (per AB 266). Qualifying vehicles issued a White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 will be eligible to apply for a RED Clean Air Vehicle Decal later this year. The DMV IS NOT yet accepting applications for these vehicles. More information will be available later this year.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

In other words. Please wait...

White stickers will probably have to re apply. And pay $22. As of 9/26.
White Clean Air Vehicle Decals are no longer being issued, but are valid until January 1, 2019 (per AB 266). Qualifying vehicles issued a White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 will be eligible to apply for a RED Clean Air Vehicle Decal later this year. The DMV IS NOT yet accepting applications for these vehicles. More information will be available later this year.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

In other words. Please wait...

What a cluster... hurry up and wait :cool:
The DMV will be overwhelmed with Red decal applications at year-end and will probably not catch until Spring/Summer 2019.

• Funny
Reactions: ebmcs03