Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Tesla Service Leadership (I know you read these threads)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dont tell customers to call Tesla Collision shops, when you want to avoid telling the customer you don’t wanna help them replace a part. Also don’t tell customers to call your own Collision shop either; that’s almost 10 times worse.

(Moderators please don’t censor or ban me, because people should know what my experience is)

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
What has your experience been?

Generally, Tesla doesn't want to even talk to customers. If you need a part, the general experience is to look up the part in the Tesla Parts Catalog using your account. Then open up a service ticket with the app, Other, Parts Only, and tell them the part and the part number. This usually works.

Reactions: CleanDemon
What has your experience been?

Generally, Tesla doesn't want to even talk to customers. If you need a part, the general experience is to look up the part in the Tesla Parts Catalog using your account. Then open up a service ticket with the app, Other, Parts Only, and tell them the part and the part number. This usually works.

My experience has been dreadful and awful.

Tesla service center has treated me very badly and it just gets worse through every single interaction.

All I want to do is fix my suspension issue with my compressor, per my own needs. So that means if I say I want the shop to replace the part and I already have the part in hand: Replace the part.

From what I can see this is just about making a dollar and I’m not the only person who notices this.

Tesla service has pretty much treated me like a number on a chart.

All I want to do is fix my suspension issue with my compressor, per my own needs. So that means if I say I want the shop to replace the part and I already have the part in hand: Replace the part.
First-party shops not wanting to install random customer-provided parts is not particularly novel or unique to Tesla.

First-party shops not wanting to install random customer-provided parts is not particularly novel or unique to Tesla.

Bingo.

Guess what? If you showed up at my place of work and said "here, install this random widget I got somewhere else" ... the answer would ALSO be no.

That's not a Tesla service problem, that's called a business protecting themselves from silliness. As they should.

This is a have your cake and eat it too sort of proposition.

If you want first-party service, support, and expertise, then you pay for it and do it their way. That generally means proper diagnostics and sourcing known-good parts from their own supply chain.

If you want a cheaper route, then buy your own parts on eBay and install them yourself or find a third-party shop that might be willing to take your money. Expecting Tesla to do so is unreasonable.

It’s standard practice for repair shops to tell customers to kick rocks if they walk in with their own part. So many issues can pop up. What if the part is wrong? Are you going to pay their labor only to find out another part is needed? Are you going to pay for their lift being unavailable while your car is sitting on it waiting for a proper part? Are you going to pay their labor again if the new part fails?

Just take your car and part to a shop that’s willing to install customer parts. Not sure why this is a Tesla problem.

Reactions: henderrj
A lot of shops won't put parts on a vehicle you bought. If the part goes bad they don't want to be on the hook for the issues that may arise. Some shops just want to get the part themselves so they can charge their markup. I purchased a lawnmower tire. One shop refused to mount it because I didn't purchase the tire from them. I went to another shop and left 20 minutes later with my tire mounted. Try to find a repair shop that will do the work.