Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To the owner of the red model 3 traveling north on the M90 this evening...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of auto lane change without spending an extra £3.5K or even the ability to change lanes in autopilot without invoking the bing bongs of death does make lane hogging an attractive option.
I try to resist but on occasion where the right lane is clear for others to overtake me. I have been known to leave my car in the middle lane a little longer than might otherwise have been the case...

The lack of auto lane change without spending an extra £3.5K or even the ability to change lanes in autopilot without invoking the bing bongs of death does make lane hogging an attractive option.
I try to resist but on occasion where the right lane is clear for others to overtake me. I have been known to leave my car in the middle lane a little longer than might otherwise have been the case...
i feel you man.

i for the fact, try to stick on the 3rd lane on the 4 lane road. because I hate those bing bongs. since my AP speeed is set to 72, I am still faster than 1st and 2nd lane, and ocacasionally I even jump into 4th lane

this is on the 4 lane motorways to be fair...

I like our American cousins on this - stick to your lane - especially with Tesla AP!

correct me if wrong if wrong but can't you pass in any lane in the US so the need to switch lanes while cruising is reduced which may be a factor in the design?
You can pass but it is mostly frowned upon - most of them stick to their lane. Yes that is a factor in the design and they love their cruise control - so that they can get on with other million things they can do while driving :)

Some dashcam-shaming footage to share, maybe?
No, I wouldn't want to shame anyone just in case they did actually see this post :)

The section of motorway is only 2 lanes. Was following in the fast lane for about 4 miles. Motorway was very quiet and judging by the amount of times their car touched the outer white line of the fast lane I don't think AP was enabled.

In their defence, my offside headlight nearly always points in the air after a firmware update, not every time but most times, it's incredibly annoying, Drive home, get flashed by everyone, remember the update, try to find somewhere flat while getting flashed, pull over, run the auto level. Happens way to often.

Please let me know if you need assistance calibrating your offside headlamp.
I found that the headlight calibration was reset by a software update. While it's possible to do the calibration yourself with a wall, tape measure, and towel, only by raising service requests with the associated costs back to Tesla corporate will the problem get fixed in the long run. Get them to fix their mistake.

Reactions: Medved_77
But you don't need to do any adjustments when an update screws up the aim of the headlamps, just enter the menu, let the lights dance and they will assume the position of the default settings and exit, no adjustments necessary. Update screws up the aim sometimes but it doesn't change the defaults stored in the car. If you make any changes then upon exit your settings are the new default stored in memory.

I also stay in the middle lane (It hurts me to admit it, because I'd never to do before I got the Tesla) on motorways now, due to no auto-lane change with AP. Not only that, the car doesn't try and take slip roads of it's own accord when I'm in the middle lane, because they're not there :D.

I don't do it to be annoying... I do it to stop the annoyances to myself and my passengers who are trying to enjoy the music without the AP bongs.

Reactions: spooksman
So FSD does have some benefits then. I don't get any bongs when changing lane with FSD engaged, I have always driven in the left hand lane and only use lane two or lane three for overtaking. I guess my driving style was ingrained many many years ago, At age 21 (46 years ago) I took my HGV class 1 and drove a 40 footer refrigerated box for a few years then moved to a parcel service with 40' box trailers - I do remember the HGV test was a 2 hour test and the training emphasised so many rules of the highway code - I don't even think about it anymore - and i still flash the lights to HGVs if an artic overtakes me to let him know his rear is clear to pull in. (some of these modern artics do over 70mph- my days limited to 64)

If I have FSD engaged i indicate and the car changes lane though most of the time i simply forget the autopilot completely.

Reactions: Doudeau
This thread validates my thinking that too many people are now using their cars version of lane keep assist (not just Teslas) on motorways and not returning to the inside lane when they’ve finished overtaking.

As my wife has spotted - I undertake more than I overtake these days. Personally, I would prefer to overtake but I’m impatient and don’t want to sit in a long convoy of cars when I can get to my destination quicker by staying in the non overtaking lane 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: thax1