Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Those That Have Seen Model 3 in Person - Better Looking than the S?

Model 3 Better Looking Than the S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lmao I'm basing my opinion on the picture showing the two cars side by side that everybody else in this thread is commenting on. If you measure from the ground to the hood, then divide that by the distance between the hood and the top of the glass, that number would be smaller on the Model 3. At least that's how it looks in that picture. I think it's reasonable to use that as a comparison point since they're both in the same shot.

And my other point is that tall roofs aren't sexy. There's a reason people other than myself have commented that Model 3 looks "goofy" in that pic. It's too tall! Sedans can be sexy and SUVs can be sexy, but in different ways. Traditional notions of "sex" are low, sleek, long body styles. Just look at literally any sports car in existence. Look at Model S. Model 3 has proportions closer to Model X than Model S, namely being narrow, long, and tall (proportionately). Look at S3X side views and you'll see that Model 3 looks like a mini X more than a Model S.

Model 3 comes across to me as a tiny SUV without the functionality of an SUV because it's tiny, but also without the sexiness of smaller cars because it's proportioned like a tiny SUV.

In case you haven't guessed, I don't like the way SUVs look! But that is something purely subjective, so I can see people liking the Model 3's design more than the S if they're more inclined toward SUV type shaping. I'd be curious to see if there are any people who prefer the way the X looks to the S.
Fair enough. I don't think pictures do the Model 3 justice. It definitely does look weird at certain angles in pictures. It looks much better in real life.

Reactions: voltage and DR61
Lol.

The front of Tesla's cars is not what makes them aerodynamic. The size of the front however, does help. Model 3's stubby front is far more important than whether it's flat or round, although round is slightly more aerodynamic. This is the same reason Model X has the same Cd compared to Model S, despite the fact that it's a taller, less aerodynamic overall shape. The front is stubby in comparison with the rest of the car, so the Cd is lowered. (Also the back isn't as long.)

Fair enough. I don't think pictures do the Model 3 justice. It definitely does look weird at certain angles in pictures. It looks much better in real life.
I agree. Most stuff looks better in real life.

I see some images of Model 3 that look really good, and others that are kinda horrid. Problem is, I don't see many pictures of the S that look bad. Maybe unflattering, but never bad like some 3 pics.

As for angles, I'm under the impression that if a car is good-looking, it will be good-looking (or at least not ugly) from all angles. Some angles are better than others, but you have to stretch to make an attractive car ugly. My problem with Model 3 is that you don't have to stretch very much or look very far to find a bad shot/angle. This tells me that Model 3 isn't a great-looking car. It's not bad-looking, but it's not great. I expect great from Tesla and they delivered with the Model S. They fell short on the Model 3. And the tragedy is that they did it on purpose so people would still want to buy the S.

It's hard to complain too much though (although I admit I am quite good at that), because at the end of the day, Model 3 is not hideous. It's sharp and even though the proportions are off, we're not talking offensive like certain other EVs that shall not be named. Its worst angle is still better than some cars' best angles, but in the end, it's a little bit weird, despite reassurances from Elon that it would not be weird.

And the tragedy is that they did it on purpose so people would still want to buy the S

I'm sorry, but in my opinion that is a ludicrous assertion. Any anti-selling they are doing is strictly temporary while they are ramping the Model 3. The Model 3 is the future of the company, and there is no way that they didn't make it the best they knew how given the constraints.

I agree. Most stuff looks better in real life.

I see some images of Model 3 that look really good, and others that are kinda horrid. Problem is, I don't see many pictures of the S that look bad. Maybe unflattering, but never bad like some 3 pics.

As for angles, I'm under the impression that if a car is good-looking, it will be good-looking (or at least not ugly) from all angles. Some angles are better than others, but you have to stretch to make an attractive car ugly. My problem with Model 3 is that you don't have to stretch very much or look very far to find a bad shot/angle. This tells me that Model 3 isn't a great-looking car. It's not bad-looking, but it's not great. I expect great from Tesla and they delivered with the Model S. They fell short on the Model 3. And the tragedy is that they did it on purpose so people would still want to buy the S.

It's hard to complain too much though (although I admit I am quite good at that), because at the end of the day, Model 3 is not hideous. It's sharp and even though the proportions are off, we're not talking offensive like certain other EVs that shall not be named. Its worst angle is still better than some cars' best angles, but in the end, it's a little bit weird, despite reassurances from Elon that it would not be weird.
I don't think they made it less attractive on purpose. Robert Cumberford praised the Model 3 design. I think if you compare it to the status quo the Model 3 is not as flat as a typical sedan. But, whether that looks better or not it's subjective.

Tesla Model 3’s design praised by famed car design critic Robert Cumberford

Reactions: DR61
Love the M3 overall - I've seen it in person. But it gives the impression that the front and rear were not designed by the same person. The trunk / rear lights / rear bumper area look very average. Wish Tesla had been more progressive in those areas. Not crazy like the rear of the new Honda Civic, but pushed the design a bit more. Thankfully the glass roof does mitigate the bland rear end somewhat.

Love the M3 overall - I've seen it in person. But it gives the impression that the front and rear were not designed by the same person. The trunk / rear lights / rear bumper area look very average. Wish Tesla had been more progressive in those areas. Not crazy like the rear of the new Honda Civic, but pushed the design a bit more. Thankfully the glass roof does mitigate the bland rear end somewhat.
I totally agree that the rear view is the least attractive. I wished they had kept the lights from the Model S. That was my favorite design feature of the Model S.

And my other point is that tall roofs aren't sexy. There's a reason people other than myself have commented that Model 3 looks "goofy" in that pic. It's too tall! Sedans can be sexy and SUVs can be sexy, but in different ways. Traditional notions of "sex" are low, sleek, long body styles. Just look at literally any sports car in existence. Look at Model S. Model 3 has proportions closer to Model X than Model S, namely being narrow, long, and tall (proportionately). Look at S3X side views and you'll see that Model 3 looks like a mini X more than a Model S.

Model comparison.png

car looks too tall, like a mini model x. also the rear glass to trunk transition is so awkward. especially if you see the car from quarter rear view.

i like the front of the car. the rear, not so much
yes same. i like the front, but the back is not that great. i dont like the new charging port either. or the non hatch trunk like the one on model s. but i like the model 3 headlights

Lol.

The front of Tesla's cars is not what makes them aerodynamic. The size of the front however, does help. Model 3's stubby front is far more important than whether it's flat or round, although round is slightly more aerodynamic. This is the same reason Model X has the same Cd compared to Model S, despite the fact that it's a taller, less aerodynamic overall shape. The front is stubby in comparison with the rest of the car, so the Cd is lowered. (Also the back isn't as long.)

Round is slightly more aerodynamic than flat? You don't say. I guess Boeing should make slightly round nose cones on aircraft.

Aerodynamics: the study of the motion of air, particularly its interaction with a solid object. There is far more to aerodynamics of a ground vehicle than drag. If the Model 3 proves to be stable at high speed, and also has a Cd of 0.23, then Tesla has done a great job.