Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Uber or Not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my friend brought up the idea that he wanted to uber in his X a few times a day/week from an airport during just the day. Strictly a part time gig. He had spoke to another tesla owner who is currently doing this and paying his monthly payments ubering, although idk if its full time or not.

I'm curious if there are other uber drivers that find it beneficial. I did a fare estimate from my living area to a local airport and it came out to approx 4 times the rate compared to a regular uber ride when selecting Uber Black.

Anyways what are your thoughts, pros and cons from those that do it currently part of full time.

thanks in advance.

Reactions: msnow
I'm curious if there are other uber drivers that find it beneficial.
How do you define benficial?

If you can afford a Tesla, I can't imagine Uber making a significant improvement in your bottom line. Personally, I would not want random people in my baby. OTOH, I know a local who has a P85DL who Ubers a few times a day, as he works from home and it's a diversion that breaks up his day.

The part you can't see in the title above is "500 Uber Rides"

Yes. The easy answer is: If you are even considering it, try it.

Some will like it. Some won't...so many variables as to what makes it "worth it" to different people (but it's probably not worth if $ is your only goal when you consider depreciation).

I wouldn't advise getting a Tesla just to Uber as a way to make $. But, if you already have one, and want to amaze your riders and help spread the word about Tesla, then at least try it. It's easy to start, and easy to quit anytime!

Verify with your insurance company that you're okay before Ubering. Most personal insurance policies do not cover commercial use, which is what Uber is. If your insurance company finds out you are using your car to Uber, there is a decent chance they might drop your coverage or refuse to pay if you get into an accident. If you are in CA, then many insurance companies offer ride share compatible insurance for about a 10 percent bump over your usual coverage.

How much money you can make doing Uber depends a lot on your market. Uber Black requires commercial insurance and some areas aren't accepting new Black drivers. Uber Select has decent rates, but it can be pretty competitive with pretty weak demand since everybody with a base level luxury car are on Select, waiting for pings. Depending on your market, Uber might not let you opt for only Select pings, so you'll likely get a bunch of X and Pool pings, which have absolutely horrible rates and generally aren't worth driving unless you're in NY or there is a decent surge going.

Uber as a side thing to have some fun chatting with people and to show off your car can be fun with a little extra money as a bonus, so long as you make sure your ass is covered if the worst happens. But be aware that, while the vast majority of people will be on a range from awesome to tolerable, a few will be complete as assholes who think their $2.60 minimum fare entitles them to treat you as their personal chauffeur, valet, and/or slave and your car as.their personal dining table/toilet/garbage can. It only takes a couple of those to sour you on the whole experience.

I drove for Uber for a few months in the South Bay of SoCal with my Leaf, in case you're wondering. I only turned my app on when there was a surge of 2.0 or better going. It was mostly fun, but a few bad eggs annoyed me. I've since gotten a 2017 Volt and haven't bothered to register the car with Uber yet and am on the fence on if I want to.

Btw, you can drive Uber without checking with your insurance if you want to take the chance, but I'd advise against it. Uber does offer coverage, but I believe it is secondary to your own coverage, and in period 1 (app on, waiting for a ping) there is either no coverage or strictly liability with no collision depending on your state, and the deductible is high. Also note that to Uber, their drivers are a fungible resource. They will value the customer over you by default unless you fight like crazy with them. If you're driving a Tesla and get into an accident, dollar signs are going to go off in the minds of all involved parties and I'm pretty sure insurance will do more than their due diligence to investigate and you want to make sure your ass is covered.

Btw, you can drive Uber without checking with your insurance if you want to take the chance, but I'd advise against it. Uber does offer coverage, but I believe it is secondary to your own coverage, and in period 1 (app on, waiting for a ping) there is either no coverage or strictly liability with no collision depending on your state, and the deductible is high. Also note that to Uber, their drivers are a fungible resource. They will value the customer over you by default unless you fight like crazy with them. If you're driving a Tesla and get into an accident, dollar signs are going to go off in the minds of all involved parties and I'm pretty sure insurance will do more than their due diligence to investigate and you want to make sure your ass is covered.

True, but something that's changed recently is some of the insurance companies now offer a "rideshare" add on to your insurance. For me, it was just $15 a month extra with USAA. Then you are covered and not doing it behind their back.

IF you wanted to do this seriously, as in full time, I'd go ahead and get full commercial insurance and also qualify for the much higher rates of UberBlack. However, I suspect most people will just want to do this occasionally so commercial insurance would likely be overkill.

I'm not willing to do it because I paid so damn much for the car and I don't want strangers in my car trashing it. Not to mention my insurance would cancel me and I have a great rate!

Oh, and I have no tolerance for, as my old boss used to say, the "Great Unwashed American". Of which there are many, regardless of income level or social status.

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer
I really don't understand. Did you buy your car new? If you can afford a new tesla. Ubering should strictly be because you enjoy it. If you need it to pay for any part of the car... Buy a cheaper car.

Deprecation alone makes ubering not make sense. More importantly this is not a cheap car alone with regular deprecation and price tag. Should have assets and or income to support it.

Geico indicated that if I had Uber stickers on my car and/or was actively driving, I wouldn't be covered. It's worth giving your insurance a call to get the specific policy figured out before doing it.

Farmers seems to be the go to in CA for Uber. There's also another insurance company, Metro Mile (iirc), that charges based on the number of miles you drive and exempts miles you drive while actively driving for Uber. I think it links to you Uber account so it knows when you're on Uber and when you're not.

Two reasons for me not to drive for Uber right now.

1) Since my car is new, I don't want any a-hole to spill drinks or dirty up my brand new car

2) My insurance advise against it because I would be on my own should something happens to my expensive car.

All in all, I don't think it's worth the few extra bucks I get from uber to expose my expensive brand new car to that much of a risk.

If I got a CPO or a used tesla or what not, then maybe I would be more incline. Or maybe a few years down the road when my car is old and I don't care too much about it anymore.

my friend brought up the idea that he wanted to uber in his X a few times a day/week from an airport during just the day. Strictly a part time gig. He had spoke to another tesla owner who is currently doing this and paying his monthly payments ubering, although idk if its full time or not.

I'm curious if there are other uber drivers that find it beneficial. I did a fare estimate from my living area to a local airport and it came out to approx 4 times the rate compared to a regular uber ride when selecting Uber Black.

Anyways what are your thoughts, pros and cons from those that do it currently part of full time.

thanks in advance.

Although perhaps not germane, uber alles! ;)