Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To wrap-0r not to wrap

do you plan on or have you done a protective wrap or applicant to your Tesla?

• Yes

Votes: 62 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the car yet but will next Thursday. I am getting almost a full wrap (excluding hatchback) of Suntek PPF, CQuartz Finest on the whole car including wheels and brake calipers, and Photosync Spectra Window Tint (35%) for just under $6000. If you live around San Antonio, check out Jay's Detail (jaysdetail.com).
That sounds very high. Local detailer in austin quoted $3500 for full wrap with suntek ppf. $450 for F1 ceramic tinit.
sunbusters on Research blvd.

I put Opti-Coat Pro Plus Ceramic then sealed it with SunTek paint protection film on the whole car. I selected SunTek over XPEL for 2 reasons the price almost 1.5k less to have it installed in Houston, and the Gloss of the SunTek compared to XPEL gives a better finish. both have self-healing and I have seen that it is effective. I have seen scratch marks on the car after applying but then after leaving the car in the sun for a day or two there gone.

1. SunTek installs easier
2. SunTek is glossier
3. SunTek warranty is only 5 years.

I also wrapped all the chrome on the exterior of the car with exception of the Telsa T, with 3M black Brush meal.

Give it a nice look all Black.
Can upload photos on request.

I put Opti-Coat Pro Plus Ceramic then sealed it with SunTek paint protection film on the whole car. I selected SunTek over XPEL for 2 reasons the price almost 1.5k less to have it installed in Houston, and the Gloss of the SunTek compared to XPEL gives a better finish. both have self-healing and I have seen that it is effective. I have seen scratch marks on the car after applying but then after leaving the car in the sun for a day or two there gone.

2. SunTek is glossier

I also wrapped all the chrome on the exterior of the car with exception of the Telsa T, with 3M black Brush meal.

Would love to see some photos.

I'm conflicted about wrapping. It is only a car, after all...one we plan to keep and not sell.

One option I've been considering...something like Autoflex to change the paint color when I get tired of seeing rock chips, lol. So if I'm considering doing that at some point, a wrap like Xpel seems almost unnecessary...

I'm just being realistic in looking at the current condition of the cars we own...remembering how I felt when they were new, when we got the first signs of road rash and rock chips, and we recently replaced a fog light that got cracked. And how I feel now. Does it bother me? No, not really. Would this sort of damage bother me MORE because we are paying twice as much for the X? Not sure...

4K is a really nice vacation!

Reactions: GSP
I'm conflicted about wrapping. It is only a car, after all...one we plan to keep and not sell.

One option I've been considering...something like Autoflex to change the paint color when I get tired of seeing rock chips, lol. So if I'm considering doing that at some point, a wrap like Xpel seems almost unnecessary...

I'm just being realistic in looking at the current condition of the cars we own...remembering how I felt when they were new, when we got the first signs of road rash and rock chips, and we recently replaced a fog light that got cracked. And how I feel now. Does it bother me? No, not really. Would this sort of damage bother me MORE because we are paying twice as much for the X? Not sure...

4K is a really nice vacation!

It depends on your personality. I have definite OCD tendencies and it drives me batty to look rock chips and scratches on the front end of such a beautiful and costly car. With XPEL I just don't have that and that makes me happy.

I'm picking up my car on Monday!

If I decide to do the wrap....should I wait until all issues are fixed (if any)? Sounds like that could take some time if they need to order parts...or would it be better to wrap and then have them work on the car? If they need to realign doors, for example, would it not matter? Would it be extra protection? Worried if the SC damages it, wouldn't be covered under wrap warranty.

New owner of a beautiful Obsidan Black 70D. Color aside, knowing the issues with a black car, I wonder at the decision to wrap our apply protective applicants to car. I've read the various threads on this and even got a quote myself. How many of you are doing this?

Yes, I'm in process of having it done. My car was delivered last Friday, and I drove it straight it to the detailer. I should get it back this weekend. I haven't even really "driven" it yet. I did full paint correction, had CQuartz Finest applied, and a full Xpel kit applied. I believe my Xpel kit covers the full hood, bumper, headlights, A pillars, rear rocker panels, bottom of doors. I might have missed a few areas or gave the wrong name of the body areas.

It depends on what your budget is and if you purchased or leased your car. How long do you plan on keeping it? Will rock chips or scratches bother you? I know I'm spending more on everything than I originally thought I would, but it's the nicest (and most expensive) car I've ever owned, so I wanted to protect it.

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
I went through the same thought process. Need to schedule as I take delivery Friday. Yippee

Haha yes, I did research about paint protection and the Xpel here on the forum and elsewhere before even getting my car. I consulted many different detailers here in the Bay Area before deciding on one and booking an appointment before my car was even ready. I know I'm a little obsessed about my car. LOL.

I went through the same thing when I got the car, I decided not to. In hindsight, I probably should have had the hood and mirrors wrapped, after a year, i'm just going to live with it.

I have a few rock chips on my hood, and on a blue car, it's pretty visible.

I agree, which is why I decided to do the full wrap on my blue Model S. For reference, I just got rid of/transferred the lease for my 2016 VW e-Golf (midnight blue). That car is only 9 months old. I never wrapped or protected that leased car. I would wash my car once or twice a month and noticed several chips on the hood, front bumper, and side mirrors after only a month or two of having it.

My Model S is a brighter blue and has "softer paint," so I'm not taking any chances.

2. SunTek is glossier

Attachments

• 20160820_195140.jpg
    20160820_195140.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20160820_195136.jpg
    20160820_195136.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160820_195130.jpg
    20160820_195130.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160820_195122.jpg
    20160820_195122.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160820_085225.jpg
    20160820_085225.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 65
IMG_20160823_170241.jpg
IMG_20160823_165920.jpg IMG_20160823_165816.jpg IMG_20160823_170008.jpg I just got my car back from the detailer. The exterior has full Xpel wrap (front bumper, hood, headlights, A pillars, black parts of pano roof, side mirrors, across the bottom of the doors of the wheelbase, and rear bumper), paint correction, Cquartz finest, and 3M Crystalline/Llumar CTX tint.

Joseph Torbati at OCDetailing in Fremont did everything (as well as the CQuartz leather to the interior, installed my quick connection phone dock, took off my front license plate, and will install my Black Vue dash cam shortly). I can PM you for the detailed pricing.

View attachment 191407 View attachment 191408 View attachment 191409 View attachment 191410 I just got my car back from the detailer. The exterior has full Xpel wrap (front bumper, hood, headlights, A pillars, black parts of pano roof, side mirrors, across the bottom of the doors of the wheelbase, and rear bumper), paint correction, Cquartz finest, and 3M Crystalline/Llumar CTX tint.

Joseph Torbati at OCDetailing in Fremont did everything (as well as the CQuartz leather to the interior, installed my quick connection phone dock, took off my front license plate, and will install my Black Vue dash cam shortly). I can PM you for the detailed pricing.
Great looking car! Joe will be doing mine pretty much the same thing to my car this Saturday. I am also getting the wheels powder coated grey.

Reactions: ssrajputev
View attachment 191407 View attachment 191408 View attachment 191409 View attachment 191410 I just got my car back from the detailer. The exterior has full Xpel wrap (front bumper, hood, headlights, A pillars, black parts of pano roof, side mirrors, across the bottom of the doors of the wheelbase, and rear bumper), paint correction, Cquartz finest, and 3M Crystalline/Llumar CTX tint.

Awesome car. Time for a new profile pic!

Reactions: ssrajputev
You are correct. I live in Florida where this is a big problem. If you leave a wrap on more then 2 years in the sun it's very hard to remove. I have the front end of my Nsx done which is black and up close you see orange peel. It works great for rock chips but I would remove it after a few years to be safe

Yes, you are correct about the difficulty to remove clear film after it is several years old (especially in Florida). However, if done safely and by a professional, it can be done. We just removed a full front on a Ferrari California that was applied over 3 years ago, here in Orlando. It was difficult, but 100% successful.

Great looking car! Joe will be doing mine pretty much the same thing to my car this Saturday. I am also getting the wheels powder coated grey.

Awesome! LOL. I'm debating doing that as well, black or grey. I'm just waiting a little, because I have to watch my budget. That stuff he just did for me wasn't cheap. I'm adding on the Black Vue dash cam install at the end of this week as well.

Who knows if the rumors are true about AP 2.0...I might have to pay to upgrade my car if it doesn't have the new hardware. :/

Awesome car. Time for a new profile pic!

Thanks! Yeah, I haven't had time/forgot to do it. I actually went for a first "real drive" in my car last night for an hour. I don't take it to work right now, because I'm waiting for my HOV/carpool stickers to come. I'm also leaving it outside in the daytime on my driveway to allow the tint, films, and coatings to fully cure (per Joe's instructions).