Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is, and I have one. I will have to look back to see where I got it—but I can tell you for sure it was something I learned about on this board. It is a small piece of plastic with a fresnel lens that just sticks to the inside of the windshield and lets you see the traffic lights without bending your neck down. Of course I can honestly say that I still often bend my neck down because the fresnel lens makes things smaller and it is still easier, if more painful, to just bend my head down!

was it sized for the top of the windshield?

barring something fitted for this purpose, you probably could cut down something like this for vans into a narrower piece.

of course, install it upside down so it's viewing up vs. down

was it sized for the top of the windshield?

barring something fitted for this purpose, you probably could cut down something like this for vans into a narrower piece.

of course, install it upside down so it's viewing up vs. down

The one I have is from LightInSight.com. I learned about it on TMC years ago. If you search the Roadster forum for "Fresnel" you can find the post with a nice photo. I just tried to view their website without success, but the product still appears to be available on Amazon.com (only 13 left in stock!)

• Helpful
Reactions: drewski
Cross posting for reference...

Fresnel lens to see traffic lights

fresnel-png.62320

dsc03007-jpg.62408

• Informative
Reactions: mongo

I can personally vouch for 1349, having seen it in person last year. Not to mention it is meticulously cared for by a very knowledgeable owner. It’s also one of maybe three Roadsters that has an integrated Tesla II charge port, which the current S, X, 3 & Y vehicles use. No need for a CAN SR adapter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ra88it and Gremlin
I can personally vouch for 1349, having seen it in person last year. Not to mention it is meticulously cared for by a very knowledgeable owner. It’s also one of maybe three Roadsters that has an integrated Type II charge port, which the current S, X, 3 & Y vehicles use. No need for a CAN SR adapter.

Did someone install that Type II port after purchase? Curious how they did that.

Did someone install that Type II port after purchase? Curious how they did that.
It's not a Type II conversion which would only work in Europe and HK. It's a Tesla 2 conversion. I know the person who did the conversion. He said there is no latch to prevent the connector from accidentally pulling out and experiencing a live disconnect.

It's not a Type II conversion which would only work in Europe and HK. It's a Tesla 2 conversion. I know the person who did the conversion. He said there is no latch to prevent the connector from accidentally pulling out and experiencing a live disconnect.

Thanks, Henry. Corrected my wording above. Does this mean you’d have to be careful unplugging it?

This is 100% what I was curious of, if could be done, months ago.

interesting to know I can now purchase one of a few with said modification.

that said, I own both the Sr and Jr. solid products! Thanks for making these.

Thanks, Henry. Corrected my wording above. Does this mean you’d have to be careful unplugging it?
You have to be careful that the car is not charging when you unplug it. It's easy to forget every once in a while so it's nice not to have to think about it. I would be more worried about any kind of movement that caused the cable to be tugged on, such as bumping, kicking or just organizing the cable. You really don't want the contacts to be moving at all when there's 30, 40, or 70A going through them. Maybe I'm over reacting but the Tesla 2 connector was designed to be latched.

Reactions: ra88it
2008 Tesla Roadster
VIN:
5YJRE11B381000468
Mileage: 137,000
Price: $42,500 USD BIN + Make Offer
Electric Blue 1.5 in Silver Spring, MD up for auction on eBay. Silver forged rims, soft top, xenons, Premium(?) orange/red int, infotainment pkg.

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 48
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    387 KB · Views: 50
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    344 KB · Views: 48
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg