Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Today's Roadster Orphan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inhibiting APS on a regular basis isn't a good idea, and the main disconnect is far too easy to break. Neither are intended for frequent use. Having the main disconnect contacts come loose (due to wear) while driving would be, um, "bad".

The circulation pump is on because the car needs to have the coolant circulate to help preserve the battery cells, not because it's stuck. Best to actively cool the battery (see the link above), and let it manage the rest on its own.
Curious why you feel inhibiting APS is a bad idea (assuming your battery isn't in need of cooling at the time)? Only risk (of which I am aware) is to the little 12v on a 2.0 and 2.5 as it will continue to be utilized by some electronics without being recharged by the traction battery.

By the way, my answer wasn't to a question about doing it "on a regular basis."

The disconnect is easy to also easy to use, but I would tend to agree that it certainly could be damaged if done incorrectly.

Curious why you feel inhibiting APS is a bad idea (assuming your battery isn't in need of cooling at the time)? Only risk (of which I am aware) is to the little 12v on a 2.0 and 2.5 as it will continue to be utilized by some electronics without being recharged by the traction battery.

By the way, my answer wasn't to a question about doing it "on a regular basis."

The disconnect is easy to also easy to use, but I would tend to agree that it certainly could be damaged if done incorrectly.
At a high level, inhibiting APS isn't something Tesla intended to be done by anyone other than a service tech, so it's not something they did much of anything to protect the various parts of the car from stress. If the objective is to shut off the coolant pump, for example, the pump was on for a reason. Better to fix the condition that caused it to be running, rather than to force it off by killing power. Same, but more so regarding the HV disconnect. That should be a last-resort, storing the car away from power for months, or keeping it from bricking because the charging system is broken, sort of situation.

We are being forced by Tesla's unwillingness or inability to service the car to pick up some of that responsibility ourselves. But I remind myself multiple times about what comes with the great power of the Tech security code whenever I'm in there... I do not treat it lightly.

Reactions: dhrivnak
At a high level, inhibiting APS isn't something Tesla intended to be done by anyone other than a service tech, so it's not something they did much of anything to protect the various parts of the car from stress. If the objective is to shut off the coolant pump, for example, the pump was on for a reason. Better to fix the condition that caused it to be running, rather than to force it off by killing power. Same, but more so regarding the HV disconnect. That should be a last-resort, storing the car away from power for months, or keeping it from bricking because the charging system is broken, sort of situation.

We are being forced by Tesla's unwillingness or inability to service the car to pick up some of that responsibility ourselves. But I remind myself multiple times about what comes with the great power of the Tech security code whenever I'm in there... I do not treat it lightly.
My recommendation to inhibit APS WAS to a question about storing the car.

You can make the same argument then, that we should not be servicing the PEM (or really any other component) ourselves since Tesla didn't intend anyone to service the car other than their techs. Rubbish.

I agree 100% that if you are inhibiting APS to stop the coolant pump that you better be aware of the ramifications and make an informed decision.

Again, I ask if you are aware of ANY risk by inhibiting APS (other than to the 12v, which I have already mentioned).

I put an ad in the classified section for my Roadster. No sense repeating it here. I do think it is one of the nicest, most fully equipped ones there is. Some people on the forum know the car....."djp" was the previous owner.

I would appreciate it if anyone knows about getting it registered in the US (it is in Ontario, Canada now), if it would be an issue.

Link:

2010 Roadster 2.0 - upgraded

If I had the cash, you would have my cash. Alas, saving up for a Sprinter van.

Elon had two Roadsters, a black Founders Series which he still has now and the red one he sent into space. #622 was well sold. #642 was well bought. Black is the color that Elon decided to keep. I'm interested in hearing other opinions on this.
I wouldn't lump all "red" Roadsters into the same bin. Radiant Red is incredibly common, while Fusion Red is somewhat rare. Less than 25% of the red Roadsters in my quick check are Fusion. I happen to think red cars are boring, in general, but the Fusion Red is an absolutely beautiful color.
Didn't Musk launch one of those common Radiant Red Roadsters into space?

Didn't Musk launch one of those common Radiant Red Roadsters into space?

Musk’s Roadster 2.0 launched into space was painted in a bespoke Red with a gold colored base coat and more than a half-dozen red passes. The paint was spectacular in person (I’m using the past tense since I suspect space radiation is hard on the car’s clear coat).

Fun Fact: A second Roadster 2.5 was also painted in the same bespoke red and presented as a gift to Akio Toyoda for saving Tesla with an infusion of $50mil to build RAV4 EV battery/motor (presented to Mr. Toyoda at the opening of Tesla’s first store in Japan).

Attachments

• BEAB5D3F-2DF4-4EAC-BFEA-DCFC5CFF3101.jpeg
    BEAB5D3F-2DF4-4EAC-BFEA-DCFC5CFF3101.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 77
I am quoting some distant memories, but I think Franz may have called it "Candy Apple Red" (like old custom hot-rod paint), and I think Elon may have referred to it as "Midnight Cherry".

The gift to Akio was after Akio visited Elon and got a ride in his and raved about how much he liked the color.

Toyota then bought $50m TSLA stock and offered the Fremont factory "dirt cheap" so it seems that relationship paid off well for Tesla. (One custom painted Roadster was a pittance in comparison.)

Also, Toyota did well on that $50m TSLA investment, but they got out way too early, and sold it off before it really took off in value. (Meanwhile Tesla market cap is now more than Toyota!)

Also, more "fun facts", Elon's was a 2.0 but got updated to "2.25" (2.5 bodywork on a 2.0) and was originally painted in copper paint (similar to last of the 1.5 Roadsters #500), but apparently he ended up not liking it that much, so sent it off to be custom painted after.

l284q2-b78638933z.120100510145020000gtjo8vec.1.jpg

4020813258_42ec39c3b0_h.jpg

4020052881_ba57c58239_h.jpg

I think the above were pre-repaint, and pre-2.5 Bodywork changeover.
Perhaps that original copper paint lives on under all the coats of red lacquer.
Those were from the Anaheim/Orange-County 2009 Auto show.

Last edited:
Also, more "fun facts", Elon's was a 2.0 but got updated to "2.25" (2.5 bodywork on a 2.0) and was originally painted in copper paint (similar to last of the 1.5 Roadsters #500), but apparently he ended up not liking it that much, so sent it off to be custom painted after.

I think the above were pre-repaint, and pre-2.5 Bodywork changeover.
Perhaps that original copper paint lives on under all the coats of red lacquer.
Those were from the Anaheim/Orange-County 2009 Auto show.

ah, to have enough disposable cash to send your car off to be painted on a whim because you’re tired of the color!

Dealer in Dallas just texted me confirmation that indeed, Bill Maher was the previous owner. He has signed the title over, so, a little more prestige for this vehicle, at least for the "left leaning" folks... :)
Bill Maher is "left leaning"? He seems critical of the left when appropriate. Sorry for the non-Roadster content. It's indeed interesting that he owned this VIN, even for folks who don't lean.

Reactions: im4uttx
How do you and @DeedWest know so much about each VIN. Astounding!

Hey what about me?!

Yes, I noticed it from a charity auction as well...
P0234-5YJRE11B081000234-VIN.jpg

Gulf Coast Exoticaudio listing

Tesla Roadster auction
https://auction01.charitybuzz.com/s...m_id=300116&lotsindex=0&show=10&order=default

"Car #234 will be yours in this historic first year of production. You'll have an exclusive opportunity to tour the final assembly area in Menlo Park giving you and a guest exclusive insight into this revolutionary piece of engineering. This package also includes Tesla Motors apparel and an invitation to the next Tesla Motors Road Show drive event. Reservations and delivery only available within the contiguous 48 states, out-of-service area fee may apply."

Petra Nemcova and the Happy Hearts Fund Ask You to "Save The World, Drive a Tesla"

Oof... Trump & Kevin Spacey...

Tesla resale

Last edited:
I've recently realized that CarFox reports have to be interpreted carefully. For my Roadster, CarFox shows a lot of incorrect info, including several owners. I bought the car from one of my best friends and he was the original owner. I think some of the errors might have to do with him moving to different states and re-registering/re-titling it in those states as me moved.
Not to doubt your best friend, but I bought my first car from a neighbor "friend" who falsely claimed it had never been wrecked. Years later, when I had an accident myself, the bondo was obvious. When I confronted him about it, he confessed that he never told his wife about the wreck he'd gotten in, and he'd had it fixed behind her back. So, when he sold the car to me, he had to keep up the lie.

Moral: If your best friend happens to be already lying to his wife, then he might easily lie to you.

(this story is presented for laughs, not to disparage your friend in any way)

• Funny
Reactions: drewski
How do you and @DeedWest know so much about each VIN. Astounding!
I live in Seattle, Tesla Motors' second largest market after California, and joined a local Tesla Roadster club.
I test drove one of the Engineering Prototypes that Tesla Motors brought to Bellevue, WA.
I got on the waiting list before the Roadster shipped (I think), and ended up with VIN 0681 only to have to bail out.
I was there for the delivery of 0181 & 0189, before there were dealership locations.
I also saw 1322 (the lightning green one featured in the video about Medlock & Sons) roll off the truck before her owner picked her up, since my 1244 was delivered in Seattle on the same truck.
I've been fascinated with these cars for years, and wrote a Mac OS X application that graphs the charging and driving logs interactively. As part of that research & development, I had to gather lots of information about a variety of cars, but curiosity took me far beyond necessity.

Despite all of that, my information is probably still 99.8% redundant compared to TEG, who has photos to go along with the other data.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I live in Seattle, Tesla Motors' second largest market after California, and joined a local Tesla Roadster club.
I test drove one of the Engineering Prototypes that Tesla Motors brought to Bellevue, WA.
I got on the waiting list before the Roadster shipped (I think), and ended up with VIN 0681 only to have to bail out.
I was there for the delivery of 0181 & 0189, before there were dealership locations.
I also saw 1322 (the lightning green one featured in the video about Medlock & Sons) roll off the truck before her owner picked her up, since my 1244 was delivered in Seattle on the same truck.
I've been fascinated with these cars for years, and wrote a Mac OS X application that graphs the charging and driving logs interactively. As part of that research & development, I had to gather lots of information about a variety of cars, but curiosity took me far beyond necessity.

Despite all of that, my information is probably still 99.8% redundant compared to TEG, who has photos to go along with the other data.

will that OSX app still run on modern versions of the OS?