Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took my P3D+ autocrossing. Here's what happened:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my P3D+ autocrossing today vs. 73 other cars. I'm very into racing, have read tons of books on theory, and have a sim racing setup at home. However, this is the first time I've actually brought a real car to a track. Long story short, I came in 30th place, beating cars like Camaro ZL1s and Shelby GT350s driven by autocross veterans. I'm very, very happy with how the car performed. The majority of the cars that put in a faster time were stripped and race-prepped Miatas with roll cages, no windshields, slicks, and not street legal. Laps were about 40 seconds long and covered a little under a half mile. With such a short course and 10 minutes of cool-off time between runs, I did not run into any power reductions and had full acceleration and braking performance for each of my 6 passes.

Having said all that, I feel like I could have shaved 3-4 seconds off my lap and been within striking distance of the podium if Track Mode was available. The traction control was cutting power left and right on the short course. The understeer is very controllable and the car is very predictable at the limits. But if I could have just rotated the back end around in a few spots instead of understeering, and not have it cut power in a few other places, things might have been even more interesting.

The only other tiny criticism is the brakes. They are definitely powerful enough, but the feel isn't as good as the Boxster S I traded in for it. You could tell exactly what was going on with the brakes on that car. The Tesla felt a little vague, in that I would press down harder on the pedal, and it didn't feel like the car was slowing down any faster until I jammed it down some more. It could just be that it's a 3800 pound car too. I have steel brake lines on order from Unplugged Performance, and will swap out for racing fluid and sport pads and see if that makes things a little more direct.

I'm super impressed with how the car performed today, and I can't wait for all the mods AND TRACK MODE (and the carbon fiber spoiler!) I have planned to see if I can turn this thing into an autocross monster. The 0-40 acceleration is unreal on the Tesla, and that's a huge advantage on an autocross course. Thanks everyone!

Among the various Miatas and Toyobaru 86s, I beat 1 Camaro, 6 Mustangs, 2 M cars, and an AMG Mercedes. One M3 beat me by 1.5 seconds, and it was driven but a guy that obviously had a lot of experience (low 2 digit number on his car, mine is 903) and was running slicks.

I have 20” forged staggered wheels with Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. They held up fine, they are just a little scuffed up. Next autocross I will switch to a square 19x10” setup with racing slicks.

I also ran about 900wh/mi for each of my 6 runs, a new energy usage record for me!

Took my P3D+ autocrossing today vs. 73 other cars. I'm very into racing, have read tons of books on theory, and have a sim racing setup at home. However, this is the first time I've actually brought a real car to a track.

Glad you had fun! I autocrossed extensively many moons ago. Don't take this the wrong way, but there's no replacement for seat time and experience. Your car in more capable hands would've been close to top of the pack as-is. HP, brakes, track-mode, etc are nice. But a skilled driver and good set of tires will take you pretty far regardless of vehicle.

Glad you had fun! I autocrossed extensively many moons ago. Don't take this the wrong way, but there's no replacement for seat time and experience. Your car in more capable hands would've been close to top of the pack as-is. HP, brakes, track-mode, etc are nice. But a skilled driver and good set of tires will take you pretty far regardless of vehicle.

Totally agree, but taking myself out of the equation, you can’t really get racing performance out of a car with a street-safe traction control system, and I’ve definitely owned enough cars to know there is better brake feel out there. My point is the car is so ridiculous that a novice could conceivably take a podium with a P3D car in Track mode and race slicks. I was only 4 seconds off the FTD.

One of my autocross friends noted that the Model 3 has been classed in DS, which seems like the right class for the RWD car but is probably not the right class for the Performance car. As of right now, the SCCA rules don't distinguish or exclude the AWD cars from the DS classing.

The Model 3's biggest problem is probably going to be tires. They just aren't wide enough for a 4000 lb car, in the autocross context. You can't go to a wider wheel without changing classes, so that's going to hold the Model 3 back somewhat in stock classes.

But I'm looking forward to giving it a shot!

Don't take this the wrong way, but there's no replacement for seat time and experience. Your car in more capable hands would've been close to top of the pack as-is. HP, brakes, track-mode, etc are nice. But a skilled driver and good set of tires will take you pretty far regardless of vehicle.

This guy is dead-on accurate. I've been doing autocross for 8 years in my S2000, and it really is a measure of who is the best at figuring out the proper racing line, executing it near the car's full potential ASAP, and making minor improvements without hitting the cones or losing control of the car.

There is a driver in our region who runs a 1989 Honda civic, with all of its ~90HP, that is regularly one of the fastest cars in any of the "Street" classes. He's just extremely talented as a driver.

In autocross, tires are the most important bits of equipment for any car, period. Power, suspension, brakes, are all working through the tires to move, stop, or turn the car.

And, with all due respect, 4 seconds is a very long time on a 40 second course.

Last edited:
Currently the model 3 is D street

https://www.scca.com/downloads/41816-2018-07-30-solo-rules-book-2e-reduced/download

whether or not you are street, street touring, street prepared or street modified you have to work your way through the intricacies of SCCA rules for tire size adjustments and other things

Right. My question to OP was regarding which class he ended up in, since he had the experience, and certainly would not remain in D street with those wheels/tires.

What I have not been able to determine is which class you get bumped into once you increase tire width and modify your suspension. Street Touring? But then, is it STS, STH, STX, or STU? This sub class determines the max tire width (or does tire width determine sub class?). I reached out to San Diego SCCA, and they were not sure. They suggested that I submit a request for classing to National SCCA. I'm awaiting their response.

MountainPass,
Will your suspension for the P3D+ be SCCA street compatible?

Also, does anyone know which wheel sizes are street compatible for P3D+?
I read the rules and it may mean keeping to 19-20". I'd prefer 18", but it seems that wouldn't be allowed because for 2018 you can only get 20" with the upgraded brakes.

13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset
more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car. The
resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the stan-
dard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles.