Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took the Plunge and Ordered FSD for my 2020 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the fence ever since I got my LR model a month ago as to whether I'd get any benefit from the FSD upgrade. I've done a lot of reading to fully understand what exactly that $7k would get me, and I know many people on this forum have strong opinions on this subject.

In the end, I decided to go for it. I kind of decided that the extra $7k on an $80k car was relatively negligible, and it does provide some actual benefits that I will enjoy almost every day that I use the car (as well as the potential for much more in the future). I figured since I dropped $80k already, why not drop another 10% to get the latest and greatest from Tesla, plus the promise of more to come in the coming years.

I know I will greatly enjoy the automatic turn-signal lane changes; I use auto-steer a LOT, and it's always so annoying having to reconnect it every time I change lanes now. I know that used to be a part of the Advance Auto Pilot, and I'm sure a lot of people were bummed when it got pulled up into the FSD package!

I can see using the Navigate on Autopilot feature any time I drive on the interstate.

I have gotten great amusement out of backing the car out of my garage using my smart phone (Summon feature), and I plan to go to an empty parking lot (there are plenty of those right now) to try out the Smart Summon feature. The idea of Reverse Smart Summon terrifies me somewhat, as I'm super-picky about where I park in parking lots, but I can see that it would be pretty cool if it worked well.

The promise of stoplight/stop sign stops and auto-navigation on city streets has me intrigued.

Anyway, I'm sure this post will incite many people to remind me of all the promises made (and not kept) in the past, along with the foolishness of tossing $7k down the toilet on this "vaporware" upgrade.

In the end, I'm all-in on future self-driving technology, and no company does it better than Tesla so far, so I went for it!

I'm going to take the plunge as well and order FSD right before the price increase in July. Since my car is a few years old it's $4000. I'm also planning on doing the MCU update so for $6500 my car should be like new.

Last edited:
When i bought my 2017 90D last December from Tesla, was fortunate enough that their administrative mistakes on my sales paperwork clearly stated FUSD and EAP. So when both were not on the car when I took delivery, a quick trip (4 miles away from my home) to my local SC to show the paperwork got me both back on the car.
My EAP contains 100% of everything available today with FSD. Smart Summon, Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change. Will not provide city driving once that becomes avail. I'd need to pay $4k for that, which I do not plan on doing.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I'm going to take the plunge as well and order FSD right before the price increase in July. Since my car is a few years old it's $4000. I'm also planning on doing the MCU update so for $6500 my car should be like new.

I've heard the rumors that the price will increase in July, in theory in conjunction with the release of new functionality (Reverse Summon, Auto Driving on City Streets, etc.). That's what made me go ahead and buy now. Once I decided to purchase FSD, I didn't see any advantage to waiting, as I figured I might as well start enjoying the features right away.

I'm really not naive enough to expect truly FULL self-driving for my car anytime in the next 10 years, but I do think we'll see continued evolution towards that end goal, and I look forward to the updates as they happen.

Reactions: SilverGS
Thanks for sharing, I'm on the fence and look forward to your thoughts over time.

I'll be happy to share my experiences to help you decide on your own!

I did have the opportunity to use the Summon feature yesterday, and it worked perfectly! I am a real estate agent and met with a client at a home showing. I had parked in the driveway, and when my client arrived and pulled in behind me there wasn't quite enough room for him to park. While I was chatting with him, through his window, I whipped out my IPhone and used Summon to pull my car ahead 10 feet or so, giving him enough room to fully park behind me. It was entertaining watching his jaw drop when my car did this "parlor trick." Obviously, I could have just jumped back in the car to move it forward for him, but it was SO much more fun using Summon!

"Summon" is fine. Thats' just basic move forward "x" amount of feet or move backward "x" amount of feet.

Its the "Smart Summon" (limited to about ~200 feet in the US) that is sketchy, at best. Where it's supposed to flawlessly come to you from wherever it is in the parking lot, private road, etc. (Doesnt work on a public road, for obvious reasons). Youtube has evidence, but many here have experienced the "smart summon" not being consistently smart. (Scraping side of garage opening, going up and onto curbs, scraping curbs causing rim damage, etc). To Tesla's credit, they do tell you in the warnings that YOU must be in 100% control of the car and watching it 100% at all times, while its being summoned.

In my case, I did watch the car. Watched it as it didnt pull forward far enough out of an end space, turned, and went up and onto the tall curb that I assume the numerous cameras/sensors did not detect.

If they havent gotten Smart Summon to consistently work well, not sure how they expect to get reverse summon going well enough to be trusted.

You have to do what makes you happy. I doubt you’ll find anyone arguing that it’s the most cost effective option, but FSD does add significant value even now, with more to come in the future.

I bought it because I enjoy watching the car learn and improve, because it promises things I want for the future, and because it makes my road trips safer and easier.

I think you will enjoy it. Like some have said, even in its current state there are some features that are really worth while. It has literally reduced my driving fatigue on long trips by 100%. For me, the decision was based on safety for long trips, and it was $5k when I bought it, so switching from a white interior and blue paint to the more traditional Pearl White and black interior pretty much paid the difference. I have not regretted it.

"Summon" is fine. Thats' just basic move forward "x" amount of feet or move backward "x" amount of feet.

Its the "Smart Summon" (limited to about ~200 feet in the US) that is sketchy, at best. Where it's supposed to flawlessly come to you from wherever it is in the parking lot, private road, etc. (Doesnt work on a public road, for obvious reasons). Youtube has evidence, but many here have experienced the "smart summon" not being consistently smart. (Scraping side of garage opening, going up and onto curbs, scraping curbs causing rim damage, etc). To Tesla's credit, they do tell you in the warnings that YOU must be in 100% control of the car and watching it 100% at all times, while its being summoned.

In my case, I did watch the car. Watched it as it didnt pull forward far enough out of an end space, turned, and went up and onto the tall curb that I assume the numerous cameras/sensors did not detect.

If they havent gotten Smart Summon to consistently work well, not sure how they expect to get reverse summon going well enough to be trusted.

Yeah, I don't know if I would be willing to risk damaging my car using Smart Summon just yet, unless it was raining hard and in a parking lot that was mostly empty. I tend to park far away from other cars whenever possible, so I would probably have a bit less risk than others who park in the middle of a bunch of cars.

I really can't see using Reverse Summon even if it worked flawlessly, as I do tend to try to keep my cars away from everyone to avoid door dings.

Of course, (in theory) the hundreds of thousands of times Smart Summon has been used has been "feeding" the Artificial Intelligence algorithm used by Tesla, and the whole idea behind the AI is constant improvement, so hopefully the early problems with Smart Summon are being overcome as the system learns and adapts.

I'm happy I got the FSD but can't say it is worth that much money. Fun to use even if not perfect. If I hadn't come by the money I wouldn't even have purchased the Tesla this year. But I treated myself because I made some good moves on Tesla stock the last two years that paid for the car. Normally, I'm a $30,000 car guy. $7000 for FSD is insanity, I would agree. But if Tesla stock gave you the car why not enjoy it? Right?