Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Mileage Thus Far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there any ratio e.g. 1000 miles = 2% or 5% deduction in mileage... just curious

Roadster batteries were losing 12-18% after 100k miles.

That's a smaller pack with less rugged technology (NMC Li-Ion 2.2Ah vs NCA Li-Ion 3.1Ah, 53kWh vs 85kWh), so I would say in the region of 5 to 10% loss after 100k miles is reasonable, probably less than that even.

Tesla really baby the batteries, so I would not be surprised to see a Model S (85kWh) with 200 miles range charge at 250k miles (the decay will get steeper as the battery ages.) 200 miles would still be enough to reach most superchargers... although I'm pretty sure most people won't keep one for that long.

Last edited:
Coming up on a year in 10 days. Just rolled over 9k miles. I'm actually driving more than the Prius since I love driving it. Lots of no purpose trips.

No idea on the range charge. I've never had the patience to wait for one to finish. Same deal on the balancing. Just too lazy. Is this bad? Is it hurting the pack not to balance? I get about 235 miles at 90% on the slider. When I got the car this number was 242-245. I seem to remember an update where it just immediately dropped to 235 from 245 so I just assumed it was the update. No?

One year today 18,800 miles. Last full range charge: 259. Last incomplete range charge: 260 (happened a few weeks after the 259). Daily charge is meaningless because setting it isn't consistent. Wh/mi: 257. 85 kW B battery.

- - - Updated - - -

(the decay will get steeper as the battery ages.)

All the graphs of LiIon batteries posted show that the decay is steepest in the first year and then levels out.

Coming up on a year in 10 days. Just rolled over 9k miles.

I'll be at the one year mark in about a week and I am a bit over 21,000 miles.

When I got the car this number was 242-245. I seem to remember an update where it just immediately dropped to 235 from 245 so I just assumed it was the update. No?

I also got around 245 on a "standard" charge (before the variable slider) and 265 on a Range Charge when the car was new. I now get 245 on a Range Charge and about 215 at 90%.

I had wondered whether this was just a software thing, but other folks with newer cars (and the newer software) are reporting numbers like I used to see when my car was new. I'm not very worried about it... just reporting my stats.

This week is my 1 yr anniversary and I just crossed the 40k mark this morning.

yby6uzyp.jpg

Congrats!!!

You are closing the gap - I think I just hit 45k - I was just off the road for 10+ days due to business travel and have a week of holiday coming so you will pass me soon enough.

In the last 3 months my mileage has been half of my normal rate due to so much snow & work from home days. Otherwise I would've been over 45k already. Back on schedule now. Unless we get like the 19th storm in a row.

My one year anniversary too this week. But man...I'm at 10,300 miles. But I have a 2.5 mile commute.

I have had many wonderful experiences in my life...surviving medical school, fantastic travels, scuba diving, flying, climbing Mt Rainier...but owning
"Beastie" and being a part of this community have been among the best things I've ever done.

It disturbs me a little bit that owners with higher miles and/or longer ownership times have better range charge numbers than I do. I've been getting 255-258 since I hit 9k miles (after allowing time for pack balance.) Some folks are getting the same or better numbers than that and they have over 20k miles. I have a B pack... but I'm wondering if the combination of 21" wheels, pano, and having a performance makes any difference. My avg kwh is 350... which seems to be higher than most on here, but it's tough to say because not everyone reports whether they have 21's, Performance, or Pano... which all should affect avg kwh along with driving habits (most of my miles are hwy back and forth to work.) 21's are an obvious hit to efficiency. Performance could be too because you can theoretically pull more juice out of the pack when putting it to the floor, possibly leading to faster degradation on Tesla Grin launches... and the pano roof adds about 200lbs from what I've read, so that could add to the stress on the battery, over time at least. Last important factor besides battery age, mileage, driving habits, and car weight I believe is location (and more importantly climate)... Down here in GA we have hotter days during the spring/summer so maybe that leads to faster degradation than some of you folks in the northwest/northeast and SF bay area?
I know I'm still within normal ranges with my loss of rated miles, but it still concerns me I'm a little below the average (at least it seems that way)

I do think my pack is out of balance, because I rarely range charge (only on road trips- which there have been only two of those)... However, I've read that 90% charges should balance as well, so there's confusion for me there how far out of balance I really am. Normally in the cold months this past winter I was charging to 90% every day. now I'm charging to 80% because it is starting to warm up. Just thinking out loud here, but my numbers seem slightly lower than the average- or am I wrong and that's just my perception? Any thoughts are welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

yby6uzyp.jpg
Wow! Your avg kwh is higher than mine and you have the 19's. Wonder if that's because you drive more aggressively or the NJ cold has something to do with it? or both? Either way- nice to see somebody really using their car a lot and enjoying it. Out of curiosity, what's your rated 90% and range charge?

Congrats on the anniversary, Jerry!

A year and 6 weeks in, at 20,060 miles now at 311 Wh/mile.

90% charge tops out at 173-174 miles. Haven't range-charged since around Christmas (when it was 203 miles as I recall).

congrats to you both!

nearing 20k on VIN 3737 60kWh on fw .8 and range charge is 195 rated. Lifetime is 300Wh/m

It disturbs me a little bit that owners with higher miles and/or longer ownership times have better range charge numbers than I do. I've been getting 255-258 since I hit 9k miles (after allowing time for pack balance.) Some folks are getting the same or better numbers than that and they have over 20k miles. I have a B pack... but I'm wondering if the combination of 21" wheels, pano, and having a performance makes any difference. My avg kwh is 350... which seems to be higher than most on here, but it's tough to say because not everyone reports whether they have 21's, Performance, or Pano... which all should affect avg kwh along with driving habits (most of my miles are hwy back and forth to work.) 21's are an obvious hit to efficiency. Performance could be too because you can theoretically pull more juice out of the pack when putting it to the floor, possibly leading to faster degradation on Tesla Grin launches... and the pano roof adds about 200lbs from what I've read, so that could add to the stress on the battery, over time at least. Last important factor besides battery age, mileage, driving habits, and car weight I believe is location (and more importantly climate)... Down here in GA we have hotter days during the spring/summer so maybe that leads to faster degradation than some of you folks in the northwest/northeast and SF bay area?
I know I'm still within normal ranges with my loss of rated miles, but it still concerns me I'm a little below the average (at least it seems that way)

I do think my pack is out of balance, because I rarely range charge (only on road trips- which there have been only two of those)... However, I've read that 90% charges should balance as well, so there's confusion for me there how far out of balance I really am. Normally in the cold months this past winter I was charging to 90% every day. now I'm charging to 80% because it is starting to warm up. Just thinking out loud here, but my numbers seem slightly lower than the average- or am I wrong and that's just my perception? Any thoughts are welcome.
I wouldn't worry about it. I have almost 15k miles, 350 wh/mi average, 19" wheels no pano, and get 229-234 rated for 90%, and 265+ for range charges on my B pack. It seems like pack balance is a big factor, and the people who don't charge to at least 90%, have out of balance packs.