Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harvey Mudd College is also setting up an alumni trip to Madras, so I'll be there (with my Model S of course). Not sure yet whether I'll be driving straight to Burning Man from there, but I'll definitely be at the Burn as well!

Incidentally, on August 12, 2045, another spectacular solar eclipse (>4min) will pass directly over Black Rock Desert. I wonder if they'll schedule Burning Man a few weeks earlier that year? (Can you imagine?) Coincidentally, the 2045 eclipse will also pass directly over one of my other favorite spots on Earth, Dean's Blue Hole in the Bahamas... I may need all 28 intervening years to make that decision :)

Harvey Mudd College is also setting up an alumni trip to Madras, so I'll be there (with my Model S of course). Not sure yet whether I'll be driving straight to Burning Man from there, but I'll definitely be at the Burn as well!
Caltech and Harvey Mudd alumni associations are working together going to the same place. So I guess I'll see you there. I volunteer for ESD, so I'll likely be at Burning Man working well before it opens to the public.

I rented a house in Highlands NC, planning to take my family. My current plan is to take my kids on a hike without telling them in advance what awaits. I will be prepared with 5 glasses and hope to time the arrival at an awesome overlook with event itself.

Of course, we will drive the Tail of the Dragon in my MX that morning!

I think I'm too late to book a place but I'm looking.
We may stay at my sister's place in Park City and just drive up to Idaho Falls area very early in the am. I'll suppose I can then adjust my destination according to weather.
Love to hear about good observing spots in that vicinity. I think in Idaho the eclipse will be fairly low in the East so, need a good view in that direction.
Saw the '91 eclipse from Keck Observatory on Hawaii. Nothing like a TSO.

We have a place booked near Salem, Oregon. We will be picking up our MX within the next few weeks and we are looking forward to the trip already. After that we will be going along the Oregon Coast to San Fransisco. I am also interested to have a Tesla factory tour when we are down there..

Woodburn Supercharger OR. Diving from Clackamas OR In the morning. Any one know what traffic is like southbound on the 205 on Monday mornings?

I would advise being at your eclipse site near dawn. I'm serious, this event has/will be so heavily publicized that the possibility of major roads in the totality path being congested that morning is very high, in my opinion.

I'll be observing the event near Thermopolis, WY. Best wishes for your event!

I would advise being at your eclipse site near dawn. I'm serious, this event has/will be so heavily publicized that the possibility of major roads in the totality path being congested that morning is very high, in my opinion.

I'll be observing the event near Thermopolis, WY. Best wishes for your event!
Agreed. I've heard all campsites/RV parks are sold out (& most for several months). Best to get to your viewing spot as early as possible.

Best to get to your viewing spot as early as possible.

And the best spot will be any cloudless location! We'll be driving to South Carolina, where the risk of cloud cover will be higher than most states. For this reason we're prepared to be on the move. We're hoping to avoid some of the traffic, so our plan is to camp just north of the path of totality. Then we'll head out in the early morning armed with a best guess forecast. There's a good chance of cumulus clouds forming in the afternoon, but the dynamics of the eclipse might actually work in our favor. As the eclipse progresses the air begins to cool, thereby reducing possible convection activity.

Several eclipse sites will be providing detailed weather forecasts. Bonnie, here's one with a peak at what might be expected for Idaho in August.
Idaho | Eclipsophile

Looks like just about anywhere within the Snake River Plain could have good opportunities for viewing. During August, Idaho Falls is mentioned as having clear skies or just scattered clouds 2 out of 3 days.:)

Questions for the astrophiles on this forum :

I obviously intend to buy eclipse glasses for the family, but am trying to decide whether to get a telescope and the necessary camera upgrades for photography. I have always "kinda" wanted a telescope, but sky visibility from my house is poor and it probably won't get much routine use. If I do purchase a telescope, it would need to be very portable and should be affordable, since it would be only used on vacation or weekend trips. Would a telescope with a solar filter improve the experience, and if so, is there a recommended model? I was thinking about the Meade Infinity 102mm, or "travel" refractor scopes from Celestron, Gskyer, or Orion.

Here is a little picture I took in 1991 of the "diamond ring" effect:
1991-ring.png

That was taken with a 35mm camera with Kodak slide film, and a 500mm lense. I put a glass welders helmet plate in front of the lense.

One of my kids decorated the little frame in an art class, and I thought the picture suited it.

Reactions: NikeWings