Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched for this but couldn't find anything so I'll ask. Now that people are actually driving Model 3's in the real world, I need to hear from other bicycle enthusiasts about how they are transporting their bikes. For several reasons I do not want the rooftop mount which I can get from Tesla. I really had been hoping for a bike rack that I could put into a tow hitch, but there had been all sorts of conjecture about whether or not this was possible. So it looks like there is no place to put a hitch right now. Has anyone added an after market hitch? Has anyone successfully used the plain old bike racks that you strap on?

Thks in advance. I'm thrilled to be able to configure!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch
manufactured.jpg

If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements.

Need a trailer hitch, but can't come to Tempe, AZ for a fabrication?

Please complete the form below, we'll contact you with trailer hitch options for your vehicle

Just from looking at the showroom model, I was a bit worried about clearance with a trailer hitch. It looks really low! Also, while the trunk looked quite spacious, it looked a bit too easy to hit the paint if I were to try to angle a bike back there. I think roof might be the route I go.

I have a 2 inch receiver on my S and a 1 1/4 receiver on my wife's S, we drive in low suspension setting all the time with no issues. in over 70K of miles, my 2inch receiver may have scrapped once or twice on a driveway, I just geo-located a suspension High setting for that location and issue solved.

I spoke with Torklift and they will have a 2" hitch for the model 3 similar to what they make for the S. They said it will be ready by the end of March.

We installed the Torklift on our Model S and I love it. (make sure you use the isolation washers). I do take it off, which takes about 3 minutes, if I have a long road trip, and use their "under cover." I do find that if there is a really aggressive gutter at a driveway, I do drag the hitch. Normally I can see them and if I drive into the drive at an angle, no drag...

The best bike rack (IMHO) is 1UP. All metal construction and lighter than others. Easily removable. carries big tire bikes and kid bikes. We bought an extra bit that allows us to carry three bikes.

Mahana
Model S 70D 2015

Well I installed the EchoHitch today. The hitch is very well made and solid and it attached quite securely to the Model 3. I would have been done in about 3 hours if the studs on the new hitch were the same as the Model 3. Someone changed from M10x1.5 studs to M10x1.25 which was a cause of much consternation as you were supposed to use the same nuts. But that aside I can now easily and securely transport bikes now.
Model_3_Hitch (1).JPG
Model_3_Hitch (2).JPG Model_3_Hitch (3).JPG Model_3_Hitch (4).JPG Model_3_Hitch (6).JPG
2018 Tesla Model 3 Stealth EcoHitch

For a 2” hutch the Kuat bike rack is the best you can get. I even got rear ended in it by a pickup truck at 70mph by a drunk driver and then we both got rear ended by his drunk friend and were pushed into three cars - it totalled his Vehicle and the rear of mine was saved by the 2’ stick of steel that essentially impaled his motor and turned it into a crumple zone of sorts. I would have done much better if he wasn’t so heavy so we hit so many more cars in a row in front and needed a new front bumper.

Reactions: DR61
Well I installed the EchoHitch today. The hitch is very well made and solid and it attached quite securely to the Model 3. I would have been done in about 3 hours if the studs on the new hitch were the same as the Model 3. Someone changed from M10x1.5 studs to M10x1.25 which was a cause of much consternation as you were supposed to use the same nuts. But that aside I can now easily and securely transport bikes now.
View attachment 295765 View attachment 295766 View attachment 295767 View attachment 295768 View attachment 295769
2018 Tesla Model 3 Stealth EcoHitch
Nice! How hard is it to take the hitch out and cover up? Did you get the undercover as well? Tesla Model 3 Undercover - XA2002

How long did it take you to be brave enuf to rip apart the back end of your Tesla?

Nice! How hard is it to take the hitch out and cover up? Did you get the undercover as well? Tesla Model 3 Undercover - XA2002

How long did it take you to be brave enuf to rip apart the back end of your Tesla?
I did not get the cover up as it would be rare I take the receiver off. But if I do there is always black gorilla tape. And since this was my third hitch it did not take a long time to dig in.

Last edited:
Reactions: israndy
It's REALLY easy to install. The car seems to be made to be taken apart and put back. I kept forgetting things and had to take it apart again. During the install, I did it *5* times.

IMG_4053.JPG
Me realizing I forgot to plug
bumper sensors back in

I did make a mistake cutting the hole in the belly pan but it trims easily with a utility knife so I was able to shape it better.

-Randy