Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The spec sheet someone posted today said “if equipped” so it seems it may very well be an option and not standard. Who knows when that document was made and just another reason why Tesla should’ve been more transparent up front before scheduling deliveries.

• Love
Reactions: Evoforce
The spec sheet someone posted today said “if equipped” so it seems it may very well be an option and not standard. Who knows when that document was made and just another reason why Tesla should’ve been more transparent up front before scheduling deliveries.

There are going to be a bunch of folks who take early delivery pissed that their Model Y was not equipped with a tow hitch.

Reactions: lnsh
To pile on here :) I, too, am waiting on a Model Y until a hitch is confirmed. I have a model S, and my wife is still in a Subaru. To replace the Subaru, the Y has to have a hitch; primarily for a bike rack (3 bikes) but also for a small trailer. For those that think an aftermarket hitch is fine, there is something to consider; the Y body is aluminum, the hitch will be steel. Dissimilar metals will cause galvanic corrosion. Google hitch corrosion issues on the Model S, or search for it in this forum. A factory hitch will be sure to address this, aftermarket exposes you to risk, and not just in the event of an insurance claim as noted above.
This Is the #1 reason I’ve held off on adding a torklift to our 3, without an obsessive level of sealing and separation of the Al rear frame and the iron hitch.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Evoforce and lnsh
Having an available tow hitch is kinda a given if you want to call the Model Y a SUV. Being delivered one without any option to have the hitch, makes the Model Y more of a hatch back or station wagon, maybe a cross over (whatever that means).

If I took delivery to find no ability to add a hitch, I would be pissed. Especially if they start offering it as an option to those who didn't put down $2500 and leave it with Tesla for years.

Reactions: lnsh and rxlawdude
I found this photo in the thread about "ground clearance." Can't imagine why else there would be the cut out.
ENjRbjDUEAEmDLB.jpg

Attachments

• ENjRbjDUEAEmDLB.jpg
    ENjRbjDUEAEmDLB.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 92
I found this photo in the thread about "ground clearance." Can't imagine why else there would be the cut out.View attachment 521299
Some people are still unsure of whether there is a hitch under there ready to go, or if there is another accessory they'll need to buy first. Some other people act like there wont be any towing at all though, and that is clearly not the case at this point.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce
Some people are still unsure of whether there is a hitch under there ready to go, or if there is another accessory they'll need to buy first. Some other people act like there wont be any towing at all though, and that is clearly not the case at this point.
I imagine it won't be "ready to go" and may require something installed such as is the case with the homelink.

Reactions: liuping
It could be only available in Europe. New Model 3 have also come with a cover for a hitch for over a year but it is not an option in the US.