Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of towing are you guys doing with a crossover? Just curious .. wouldn't be something I'd expect in this size vehicle ..

I work on classic cars and have to drag them here or there. Plus like using a hitch rack for ski gear and bikes. I dragged a VW Ghia from Denver to San Diego behind my Model X a few years ago, but that was painful. Most towing would be in town.

So it looks like the trailer hitches we saw on the pre-production models will be for the European Model Y. That sucks.

That would explain why it is not an option. Not available in US and standard in Europe.

In addition to no standards-based supercharge option (i.e., no CCS), North America is really punished by Tesla. Took forever to give us Spotify too.

Reactions: kayak1
I currently use my Mazda CX5 to tow a small popup camper(about 1500lbs) and a small utility trailer (about 1000lbs empty). I've got a 700lb experimental aircraft I tow to the airport on trailer every once in a while.

What kind of towing are you guys doing with a crossover? Just curious .. wouldn't be something I'd expect in this size vehicle ..

Yep, no tow hitch. Opened the panel and empty space. Obviously ready for one.

IMG_20200313_165630.jpg

IMG_20200313_165636.jpg

IMG_20200313_165636.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Y manual talks about the possibility of having a hitch (page 205):
"Note: Vehicles equipped with a hitch
receiver cannot be pulled from the rear
tow eye. Use the tow bar or hitch receiver
only to pull the vehicle to a safe location,
such as onto a flatbed truck. Do not
transport the vehicle with wheels on the
ground."

It would be a big pain to charge if you're towing a trailer though...I suppose you'd have to unhitch it. Racks would be OK though I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Pretty disappointed by this. Glad I didn't finish my paperwork. I don't even need a ton of weight, I just wanted a low-impact way to transport bikes locally.

Maybe it'll be a Homelink-like option, but I'm not holding my breath. Didn't it take over a year for the Model X's optional hitch to start shipping? And those were promised from the beginning, unlike these.

Reactions: Fiddler
There are pastes that can be used to mitigate galvanic corrosion issues.

No metal to metal contact necessary. Use stainless steel for bolts & nuts.

Aftermarket hitches are usually bolted on. Easy to just install them when necessary, if need is infrequent.

Of course, a factory mounted hitch would be better, but for most average customers, work arounds are feasable.

• Love
Reactions: Evoforce and Zoomit
Just searched the owners manual for the Y and saw that it stated: "Model Y is not equipped with towing" (P. 189). Guess we may have to wait for a third party after all. :-(

For the Model S and Model 3, the same section of their respective manual states: "Towing is not permissible". For the Model X, the same section states: "See Towing and Accessories on page 94." I imagine the phase, "Model Y is not equipped with towing." will be updated once the tow package is ready. Potentially, held up by regulatory approval, limited supply of the accessory, and/or strategic planning.

Furthermore, there is a panel opening for a potential tow hitch. The instructions for towing the Model Y on Page 205 provide a warning about a "hitch receiver" conflicting with towing from the rear.