Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a big pain to charge if you're towing a trailer though...I suppose you'd have to unhitch it
I’ve towed my trailer with my Model X for over two years and 10,000+ miles. It’s easy to unhitch and Supercharge, I do it all the time. Adds less than 10 minutes to my total time at the Supercharger.
" I imagine the phase, "Model Y is not equipped with towing." will be updated once the tow package is ready. Potentially, held up by regulatory approval, limited supply of the accessory, and/or strategic planning.
Agreed. The fact that there is a removable panel in the center under the bumper makes it obvious that the Y will be offered with a towing option in the US in the future. There is plenty of demand for such an option. It is being offered in Europe initially because that is normal for that market. Y sales in Europe would be severely adversely impacted if the car could not tow. The Model 3 is being sold in Europe with a tow option. See Tesla launches tow hitch for Model 3 - Electrek

Agreed. The fact that there is a removable panel in the center under the bumper makes it obvious that the Y will be offered with a towing option in the US in the future. There is plenty of demand for such an option. It is being offered in Europe initially because that is normal for that market. Y sales in Europe would be severely adversely impacted if the car could not tow. The Model 3 is being sold in Europe with a tow option. See Tesla launches tow hitch for Model 3 - Electrek
US Model 3s also have a removable hatch for the tow hitch since last year, but have no towing option in the US. It’s just easier to have one part that works everywhere. I hope you’re right, but I’m not sure it implies we’ll get it eventually given the 3.

IMG_20190820_194413.jpg

On the Model 3 it's quite low, and can only handle 200 lbs vertical weight, although some claim 300 lbs.
A 4 bike North Shore bike rack would sure be pushing it.
I'd get the Y with a hitch AND a roof rack.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
This. Cycling season is just around the corner, I’m not putting my dirty mtb bike in the back, plus I don’t think me and wife’s road bikes will fit in the car. I’d be ok with a roof rack, any word on that?

My delivery rep stated yesterday there would be a roof rack for the MY, and that It was specific for MY and not a repurposed M3 version. He was also very clear about no towing and no idea if/when there will be that option in the US.

My concern is that I have a eMtn bike that sits just shy of 45 lbs and putting that on a roof rack is a bit much. I can drop that by another 8 lbs by removing the battery. May just have to put a hitch on the wife’s CRV and borrow it so I can keep using my Kuat bike carrier.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
This. Cycling season is just around the corner, I’m not putting my dirty mtb bike in the back, plus I don’t think me and wife’s road bikes will fit in the car. I’d be ok with a roof rack, any word on that?
I'm sure there will be a roof rack. Someone should check the to see if there are arrows on the glass pointing to the pick up points.
My efficiency with my hitch mounted bike rack on is horrible. I lose about a third of my range. You can fit two bikes in the back of the 3 if you take off the wheels so it should be no problem on the Y. I do like the hitch mounted rack for the convenience, cleanliness and lowered risk of bashing the bike into my bumper.

It looks like the towing option is coming but I did notice that it says you need 20" tires so I guess it won't be available on the performance upgrade. The different between performance and performance upgrade seems to make a little more sense now...
Tesla Model Y Trailer Mode For Future Update
In the picture, i think it says it must never exceed these:

5 or Fewer Occupants

20" Tires

Maximum Towing Capacity: 3200 lbs (1451 kg) *

Maximum Tongue Weight: 320 lbs (145 kg)*

so trailer towing not recommended for vehicles over 20" tires? So the 21" Uberturbines on performance vehicles may not be approved for trailer towing?

In the picture, i think it says it must never exceed these:

so trailer towing not recommended for vehicles over 20" tires? So the 21" Uberturbines on performance vehicles may not be approved for trailer towing?

Model X has restrictions based on wheel size as well:

"Equip your Model X with a high-strength steel tow bar and removable 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels. Tow Mode actively monitors trailer sway and adjusts wheel braking and speed. Please note all new Model X vehicles come standard with this tow package"

From the tow package page:

Model X Tow Package

I have to wonder if the tow package will appear simultaneously with the air suspension (which would provide load leveling)...especially given the "leaked" air suspension info a few weeks back. Of course that would be just another reason to wait to see if air suspension shows up...or course that was my plan for the Model 3...didn't exactly pan out!

There are pastes that can be used to mitigate galvanic corrosion issues.

No metal to metal contact necessary. Use stainless steel for bolts & nuts.

Aftermarket hitches are usually bolted on. Easy to just install them when necessary, if need is infrequent.

Of course, a factory mounted hitch would be better, but for most average customers, work arounds are feasable.
Unfortunately, stainless steel bolts would be part of the problem. Ask any boater about aluminum and stainless, then add salt water . a quick google came up with this from a faster company: Stainless Steel & Aluminum: Why You Shouldn't Use Them Together and Proper Precautions To Take If You Do | Albany County Fasteners

An aftermarket hitch may not get the "Tow Mode" software activated. I would guess, the AP sensors would freak without that mode. By controlling the software stack, Tesla can make it inconvenient to use a third party hitch.

An aftermarket hitch may not get the "Tow Mode" software activated. I would guess, the AP sensors would freak without that mode. By controlling the software stack, Tesla can make it inconvenient to use a third party hitch.

Kind of related, when I was waiting on Tesla to get the Model X back in stock I asked about turning on tow mode with an aftermarket hitch. That was an absolute no. They were hesitant to turn on the tow mode with a used hitch, but they did it since there was an option for purchasing the tow mode software for Xs that already had the hitch... I would have to double check but it was either $400 or $600 just for them to turn on tow mode...

Tesla is taking a big L with every towing related item so far...

Aluminum aircraft have been using Cadmium Plated nuts and bolts for decades without issues. I'm sure there are ways to mitigate any issues they might arise.

Unfortunately, stainless steel bolts would be part of the problem. Ask any boater about aluminum and stainless, then add salt water . a quick google came up with this from a faster company: Stainless Steel & Aluminum: Why You Shouldn't Use Them Together and Proper Precautions To Take If You Do | Albany County Fasteners

What kind of towing are you guys doing with a crossover? Just curious .. wouldn't be something I'd expect in this size vehicle ..
bike rack.
Kind of related, when I was waiting on Tesla to get the Model X back in stock I asked about turning on tow mode with an aftermarket hitch. That was an absolute no. They were hesitant to turn on the tow mode with a used hitch, but they did it since there was an option for purchasing the tow mode software for Xs that already had the hitch... I would have to double check but it was either $400 or $600 just for them to turn on tow mode...

Tesla is taking a big L with every towing related item so far...

There is a small contingent of us wandering around these threads that are patiently awaiting official word from Tesla on this topic. Some of us will put up with no information longer than others... but it's slightly disappointing that they won't at least tell us what we can expect. Even if it's -- never... or 6 months... or it's gonna cost you $xxxx once we get around to it in 2022.

I want a hitch, but I don't feel entitled to one. Seems the courteous* thing to do would be letting us know what's going on, so we can make decision and adjust accordingly.

*clearly, I haven't been a Tesla customer before... :)

Stealth Hitch (and there are others) makes a trailer hitch for the Model 3. Considering the similarities between the 3 and the Y I would expect them to come out with a trailer hitch for the Model Y soon. I have the Stealth Hitch on my Model 3 and it works fine for pulling small utility trailers short distances. Have also used the small cargo carriers that connect into the hitch. I don't see a bike rack being a big deal but have never used one.