Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing travel trailer with Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in Canada, specifically the GTA able to get the brake trailer controller pig tail? I had messaged service (set up an appointment) back in June. They said they'd order one to Mississauga service centre. Then in July I followed up with another service request as the first one was done and they don't know what I'm talking about. They say they don't sell the part and I need to look after market.

Any suggestion appreciated, they only want like $7 or something initially so not bad. If there is aftermarket anyone knows of I could do that. Luckily I did not end up getting a larger camping trailer (have a tent trailer now) so did not need the brake controller, but want it for when I do.

It's the exact same part as for the Model X, someone might have gotten tripped up, as I'm pretty sure it's not actually listed for Model Y, but it works... as long as you have the factory-installed tow hitch.

Anyone in Canada, specifically the GTA able to get the brake trailer controller pig tail? I had messaged service (set up an appointment) back in June. They said they'd order one to Mississauga service centre. Then in July I followed up with another service request as the first one was done and they don't know what I'm talking about. They say they don't sell the part and I need to look after market.

Any suggestion appreciated, they only want like $7 or something initially so not bad. If there is aftermarket anyone knows of I could do that. Luckily I did not end up getting a larger camping trailer (have a tent trailer now) so did not need the brake controller, but want it for when I do.

Not from TO but out here in Vancouver I emailed my local shop a few times about ordering / buying the pigtail and never heard back so I eventually just went there in person and said 'I would like to buy one of these please, here is the part number'. They were sold out but the other service center near by had some so I ended up just driving there and getting it. It was only $5.xx plus tax. We were hoping to tow with our Y shortly after delivery and needed this piece and really didn't want it to be the reason we couldn't use our Y on our trip! I had actually emailed our service center before we took delivery or had a VIN to get the ball rolling but heard nothing. I was a bit disappointed. I've been meaning to get in touch with them to let them know it was less than stellar service especially when you call and the recorded message tells you to email them and they will return your email within a day (I sent 2-3 email over a few weeks and heard nothing).

Here is the name of the part you're needing and the part number (and yes it's the same part that the X uses).

TRAILER BRAKE ECU ADAPTER
1072586-00-A

Go in with that information (have them look it up) and no one should be able to tell you it doesn't exist. ;)

FWIW I think it's crazy how much work it is/was to get this piece (not hearing back, people not knowing what you are talking about, telling you to go to aftermarket). This part is available and required in order to fully take advantage of the tow package they are already providing from the factory. If you order the tow package on the Y they should be just be throwing one of these into the glove box for you at delivery so you have it, OR at the very least (because I know every dollar counts when you'r making millions of cars) it should at least be an option when you're ordering your car to include it and tack on the additional $5.

Good luck!

Reactions: wackojacko
PXL_20230128_230135939~2.jpg

PXL_20230128_230101738.jpg

We have our trailer - didn't get a chance to clean the car, but all is well otherwise!!

inTech RV Sol Dawn (base model).

Last edited:
I winter, I wonder if you may just do some cooking and eating inside the trailer,
but sleep inside the car because of the efficient Heatpump HVAC of the Model Y?
We're only planning on camping in places with full hookups, so the heating & cooling in the trailer will be just fine... Plus, not gonna do any winter camping.

We have our trailer - didn't get a chance to clean the car, but all is well otherwise!!

inTech RV Sol Dawn (base model).
Thanks for posting. Interesting trailer design. When you’ve done some long distance towing, please post your Wh/mi figures, if possible when towing at a steady speed on a level dry road with no headwind. It’s always interesting to see energy usage numbers for different trailers.

Thanks for posting. Interesting trailer design. When you’ve done some long distance towing, please post your Wh/mi figures, if possible when towing at a steady speed on a level dry road with no headwind. It’s always interesting to see energy usage numbers for different trailers.
Planning on our first trip in April, so I'll report back then. I'm route planning assuming about 600wh/mi, hopefully it's better than that...

Do they make low rolling resistance (LRR) tires for trailers? I know most of the energy is spent overcoming air drag but they keep putting these big knotty tires on trailers like everyone wants to go offroading and I know those can't help our limited EV range. Thoughts?
Please post your trailer wheel size and current tire size.

Reactions: Misterbee
My wife and I did some testing today, pulling our Sol Dawn with our Tesla Model Y. Some interesting numbers that I'm pretty happy about.

1. We never drove faster than 63mph (and we don't plan on driving more than 60mph anyway), and it was anywhere between 39 and 43 degrees out - so the battery was having to keep itself warm while we were driving. In addition, there was a slight crosswind between 8-12mph. On the way back home, we had about 10 minutes of driving in heavy graupel (very soft hail, for those than don't know).
  2. We drove about 100 miles round trip as a test. All but 6 of those miles were freeway (Interstate 90). Destination was a Tesla Supercharger, for safety.
  3. Left our house with a full charge (duh).

The results were about what I expected..... for summer driving. Numbers came to 700-750 Wh/mi overall. I expect that number to go down on this first real trip we are taking next week for a few reasons: 1. Will be doing only 60mph max the whole way, and maybe 55 in spots due to the route, 2. It'll be warmer.

Either way, it's about 100-125 miles of range when pulling our trailer, which is right about what I expected.