Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing travel trailer with Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how many miles can i realistically tow a 2000 lb trailer at 80 mph ? My car reads 261 max from full charge. Trailer is 4x8 harbor freight with built sides and holds 2 dirtbikes, so its definitely below roof of the car but not flat either.

how many miles can i realistically tow a 2000 lb trailer at 80 mph ? My car reads 261 max from full charge
At that high a speed, your range is going to be reduced by well over 50%. I would be surprised if you could tow more than 100 miles on a full charge, and my guess is that it will be more like 80 miles and you will be down to 10% remaining range and need to charge.

that sucks.

I was reading about the F150 lightning full electric, that truck would be pretty useless hwy towing also then. Guess you really need ICE vehicle for towing much...I doubt i could pull 2 dirtbikes to local places esp in winter.

that sucks.

I was reading about the F150 lightning full electric, that truck would be pretty useless hwy towing also then. Guess you really need ICE vehicle for towing much...I doubt i could pull 2 dirtbikes to local places esp in winter.

Towing efficiency affects ICE as much as EV. EV less so due to regen and more so usually because EVs have good Cd.

If you are considering F-150 it certainly will have a higher Cd than a Model Y and given it's size and weight will most likely not see such a high relative effeciency/mileage drop with the same trailer.

When you say "local" how far do you mean?

The tires are rated for 55 I think but yeah pushing it at 80 for sure. I’ve prob got 100,000 miles on it that way, we take it on every beach trip. If you drove 45 in Atlanta on the hwy you would get shot lol.

I think the farthest dirtbike ride spot is prob 100 miles round trip and prob 80 or so will be high speed. Just sound like it would be cutting it close esp with the car sitting all day and waking up ect .. over and over. Also in winter the heat would be used. I’ll try it out once I get the hitch installed. Trailer weight is prob more like 1000 lbs and maybe 70 would be ok on the big highways just stay far right.

yeah on the f150 electric that must be all but useless towing. It’s a brick in the wind and is epa rated at 270 which can prob be divided by 2 real world. I bet towing at its weight limit on the hwy it would barely go 50 miles lol

For reference, I get 100+ mi towing a 3000lbs tow hauler dual axle popup with MY AWD. I think the trucks will do better.

PXL_20210529_154901838.jpg

Reactions: Araman0
yeah on the f150 electric that must be all but useless towing. It’s a brick in the wind and is epa rated at 270 which can prob be divided by 2 real world.

We still have a lot to find out about the F150 Lightning, but it could do very well. Ford can't afford to sell their flagship product, that's KNOWN for it's towing and payload abilities and turn out to have it be horrible at both. The thing is going to have huge batteries, likely over 125kWh, possibly as much as 150 to 175kWh. That would be 1.6x to 2.3x the Tesla and could turn a 80 mile towing ability on the Tesla into 130 to 180 miles, all things being equal. In addition, there's comments that the rated range shown right now is with 1,000 pounds in the bed of the truck. This all seems to make sense to me if Ford is serious about this; load the truck up and advertise that range and ship it with a huge battery. Those two things will go a LONG way to generating good experiences from initial customers, many of which might be contractors or using the vehicle for other business reasons. The thing that doesn't add up in the price... but Ford could be playing games with the price right now... taking a loss on the vehicles to get the brand out there and an EV truck before someone else really lands that sector as well as banking on selling the $70k to $80k high end trims (that pays for a lot of batteries). The low end contractor versions that are a lot cheaper might be a negative sale for Ford until they can get battery costs low enough, but you keep those customers, and you keep the Ford brand showing up in a number of jobs, that can go a LONG way for a company that is a little behind the ball but seriously wants to keep their flagship vehicle relevant.

If the lower end versions can tow some serious weight 150 miles and the high end guys hit 200 or 225, I think they'll have a big win from this. Still wouldn't want it compared to a Tesla because of the charging networks.

Reactions: a2t2
Good info on 150. I was on Ford site checking out the Mach e and saw the lightning 150. Said 270 range which would translate to useless ? towing / real world truck / hwy. but if they are sand bagging that would change my thinking for sure. Will keep watching it. When’s it come out ?

if they are sand bagging that would change my thinking for sure.
An extra 1000 lbs doesn’t mean much at highway speeds. It increases the tire rolling resistance by about 15% [[1000+6500)/6500] but rolling resistance only accounts for about 20% of the energy needed to move the vehicle at highway speeds. So adding 1000 lbs only decreases highway range by about 3% [15%*20%]. That’s LESS impact than a 2 mph headwind!

See also my post here: Range with 1 person vs 3 persons (Roadtrip)

I want to clarify. My comment about 1,000 pounds of payload wasn’t to say that should translate to 1,000 pound towing without any range but, but more to say Ford might be aware of how their marketing needs to be handled and the actual usage case for their truck. They seem to know customers will be towing and putting crap in the bed of the truck, they need to deliver some decent abilities or they’ll completely alienate their core customers. They might know this and actually be trying to act on it.

I’m also curious how much of an aero hit many trailers would add to the existing aero “hit” of the F150…. It’s tall, kinda boxy (or at least large frontal area), and has a bed that will generate a lot of low pressure and dirty air. If the air coming off the truck is creating a fairly large wake, the trailer might not be as dramatic as being behind a Model X or Y.

Obviously there will still be a hit, but I’m very curious what they’ll be able to actually deliver and I think for their sake it needs to be utility focused.

Reactions: Araman0
how many miles can i realistically tow a 2000 lb trailer at 80 mph ? My car reads 261 max from full charge. Trailer is 4x8 harbor freight with built sides and holds 2 dirtbikes, so its definitely below roof of the car but not flat either.

Wow. Towing a trailer at that speed would probably result in confiscation if vehicle and trailer here and probably a license suspension. Different jurisdiction, different rules I guess. I suppose it’s possible you have M rated tires on the trailer but more than likely they are speed rated to 65 mph. Anyway, be ready for the big boom when they blow.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
We were using a mount with the max 3/4" rise that Tesla recommends, and it put the trailer perfectly level. I didn't take any close up photos of the hitch, but the ball kit we were using is this one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/reese-tow-kit-2-in-0406899p.html

Tanks were empty for this run, however trailer was loaded with camping gear. Not sure on total weight of the trailer when loaded, but likely just over 3000#.
Using the Curt Echo brake controller. Honestly, it is pretty remarkable how well this car tows without trailer brakes. You can do one pedal driving still with this trailer behind you, however for emergency scenarios we still decided to install the brake controller. Setup was a breeze and took less than 5 minutes.
Car was mostly empty for cargo. Just 2 adults in the front and maybe 50# worth of gear.

Happy to answer any other questions folks may have. First real world trip is next Monday, travelling about 300km and hitting 2 Superchargers along the way.
We also have that echo brake controller on a MY with a 2500lb popup trailer. What sensitivity and power.

I know mine would be different but, i'm curious because while regen, the brake lights would cause the trailer to drag brakes also.

Or do you have it very low sensitivity but good power setting and use it manually if necessary?

Because of this I lower the trailer brake power in city driving and raise the power on the highway. The highway is where I’d need the trailer brakes in an emergency. In the city I use pure regen to stop and go, and don’t want the trailer brakes messing that up.

If you use a wired brake controller it will not brake with regen or brake lights. It will only brake when applying the physical brakes. Some also have deceleration so the stronger you are slowing down (like strong regen) and you start to brake the stronger it will apply the physical brakes. I prefer this setup.