Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Prius brake checks me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see two drivers who need to go back for more training.

1) Passing to the right is bad.
2) After passing to the right of the CUV, you can easily see there is no place to go. Both lanes ahead are blocked. Relax and pace traffic until there is an opening.
3) Prius driver is practicing for a Darwin Award. If the truck would have braked hard, he'd be the trailer plate.

Both drivers make appointments for defensive driving school, but while waiting visit your psychiatrist and get a prescription for Xanax.

Lol. I love it.

1. Totally agree but get it done or be delayed 30-40 min since around my area, people only drive in the left lane and never move right to let people pass.
2. Yes, both lanes are blocked, but seeing a semi on left means he is passing slower traffic on right. So, I move left as well and wait it out.
3. Agree

I've taken that school and an offensive driving school while attending the Florida State Highway Patrol academy. Was a FL trooper for many years then got into cyber for the money.

• Informative
Reactions: RacerX
I wish I had a rear cam to quiet @MasterT and some others.
Jon, I apologize for my "investigative" skills but unfortunately that's what it looks like to me. I realize that my made up story might not be what actually transpired. If the Prius really passed the grey SUV on the left, it's just too outrageous to believe without a video because the right lane was available and it's just logical to use it.

Reactions: deonb
I'd happy to clear the air as it seems many are getting mad about this situation. Lol.

1. MD/PA border on I-83 USA
2. Never saw the Prius until he passed that gray Chevy SUV on the left and then he passed me. He wasn't behind me either when I was behind the gray Chevy SUV. I think he was at least one to two cars behind me. I looked once to see if left was clear, it was, signaled, AP changed lanes for me, Prius says hello.
3. I wish I had a rear cam to prove my case but when I moved left there was no Prius, only the gray Chevy SUV
4. I'll get back to you on this one as my work computer has the audio muted and admin rights are needed to change it

If he also passed the Chevy SUV on the left (in the emergency) lane, the Chevy would have honked and we would have heard it on the recording.

I think the more likely sequence of events was:

a) Prius was behind you when you overtook the Chevy
b) He also overtook the Chevy on the right
c) He switched to the left lane and started overtaking you
d) You started moving to the left
e) Prius moved out of the way into the Emergency lane, and honked at you from cutting you off. (Prius honked first)
f) You honked back at the Prius since he surprised you when you finally noticed him
g) Prius got miffed since he didn't think it was his fault, so he break-checked you

Reactions: jeffaa and ABC2D
Since no one here knows what was happening to the rear of your car during that video clip, perhaps you can explain more fully?

What I saw is that you were in the left hand lane of two lanes (note to everyone: this in the US) on a divided limited access highway, also known as a "freeway". You changed to the right lane to pass a car in the left lane that was ahead of you. In many states that is not a legal passing maneuver. You passed that car and after about 6 seconds tmoved back into the left hand lane.

Almost immediately after you re-entered the left lane a Prius passed you on the shoulder which is illegal in any state as far as I know. Illegal, reckless, and dangerous. The Prius then appeared to cut sharply in front of you and then braked unnecessarily quickly. More reckless behavior on the part of the Prius driver.

From what I can see in the video you didn't do anything wrong. But all I can see is what was ahead of you.

It does appear that the AEB did a good job of detecting the rapidly slowing Prius after it cut in front of you and sounded an alert and applied the brakes appropriately.

I wish they (police) would enforce slower traffic to keep right so we wouldn't have to pass on the right. I hate doing it, but people will never get over and i don't like to follow super close to "force" them over so I pass on the right. This makes me miss FL and OH a lot!!

I wish I had a rear camera.

Yes, passing on a shoulder on any side is illegal in every state. I have seen it done so many times I wish I were still a cop.

I am fascinated that by watching this video you were with 100% certainty able to determine that the OP was "specifically looking for this guy and cut him off on purpose"

With that same level of certainty, I can say 100%
1. You jump to conclusions with little evidence
2. You like to be the guy that say "no" when everyone else says "yes" and vice-a-versa --regardless of circumstances.
3. You believe yourself to always be correct
4.Every thread will have at least one guy, who can take any statement made by the OP and find a way to make an argument out of it.

Agreed. If I had a rear camera it would solve all of this.

I never cut him off because he wasn't behind me in the first place; the right lane or left lane. I think he was behind the F250 who was behind me and passing all of us on the left shoulder. When I finished my lane change, at the time, my left lane was clear and AP changed lanes for me.

I wish they (police) would enforce slower traffic to keep right so we wouldn't have to pass on the right. I hate doing it, but people will never get over and i don't like to follow super close to "force" them over so I pass on the right. This makes me miss FL and OH a lot!!

I wish I had a rear camera.

Yes, passing on a shoulder on any side is illegal in every state. I have seen it done so many times I wish I were still a cop.

Absolutely agree with you on every single point.

It's no difference in FL - most people still drive slow in the left lane, the same as everywhere else, and the only options are either to tailgate them or highbeam to "force" to free the lane for passing, or pass them on the right.

Absolutely agree with you on every single point.

It's no difference in FL - most people still drive slow in the left lane, the same as everywhere else, and the only options are either to tailgate them or highbeam to "force" to free the lane for passing, or pass them on the right.

When I was a trooper in FL this was my number one ticket maker. I pulled over so many senior citizens who would be in the left when the right is wide open for them to travel in during their drive. Obviously not just senior citizens but younger people too who are just not taught how to drive.

If he also passed the Chevy SUV on the left (in the emergency) lane, the Chevy would have honked and we would have heard it on the recording.

I think the more likely sequence of events was:

a) Prius was behind you when you overtook the Chevy
b) He also overtook the Chevy on the right
c) He switched to the left lane and started overtaking you
d) You started moving to the left
e) Prius moved out of the way into the Emergency lane, and honked at you from cutting you off. (Prius honked first)
f) You honked back at the Prius since he surprised you when you finally noticed him
g) Prius got miffed since he didn't think it was his fault, so he break-checked you

You know for sure he would have honked? Maybe you would have, but not everyone honks.
the F250 didn't honk (who was behind me)
the Chevy didn't honk
I honk cuz I love honking, especially through tunnels
the Giant Grocery semi who was later down the road didn't honk either when he was passed

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
Agreed. If I had a rear camera it would solve all of this.

Jon, I'm gong to say something else which would probably add insult to injury, but, but, but, pardon me, but I think you do have rear view video, you just dont want to post it. The dashcam you're using is BlackVue DR650S-2CH - that's a 2 channel dashcam. Yes it is absolutely possible to install just the front camera but how many do that? I know you did install the rear view camera, here is your post from the blackvue thread (Blackvue Dash Cam - Step by Step Installation):

@Nerdy_Engineer Great video! This helped me do my own install and it's really super EASY!

For the rear cabling, I just pried off half of the paneling in the trunk. I bought some fancy pry tools from Amazon so I didn't break any clips.

With the OBD2 Memory Saver.... does this option forego the need to have a magic pro hard wire solution? I really don't want to splice into any OEM wires and tap into fuses because if Tesla is like Ford, that voids your warranty.

Jon, I'm gong to say something else which would probably add insult to injury, but, but, but, pardon me, but I think you do have rear view video, you just dont want to post it. The dashcam you're using is BlackVue DR650S-2CH - that's a 2 channel dashcam. Yes it is absolutely possible to install just the front camera but how many do that? I know you did install the rear view camera, here is your post from the blackvue thread (Blackvue Dash Cam - Step by Step Installation):

True story. I do have a 2channel system but only 1 camera is up and running. What I didn't post is that I damaged the cable when forcing it through the headliner using my own homemade push rod. I also gouged some wires running through the trunk wiring harness. So until I buy a new cable I have a 2CH system with only 1 camera.

Reactions: rabar10
You know for sure he would have honked? Maybe you would have, but not everyone honks.
the F250 didn't honk (who was behind me)
the Chevy didn't honk
I honk cuz I love honking, especially through tunnels
the Giant Grocery semi who was later down the road didn't honk either when he was passed

Occam's razor. It would have been much easier for the Prius to overtake the Chevy on the right.

Do you have dashcam footage of the Prius also overtaking the semi in the emergency lane?

Unbelievable!! My memory recalled that the left shoulder wasn't even a full car-width (I had to watch it again to verify). It might just be a car's width, but it looks super tight (the fisheye lens may be distorting things and it may be bigger than it looks).

Not only is that dangerous, but that's where most debris ends up (like screws, broken glass, hub caps, etc.). He is just asking for a tire puncture as well.

Reactions: ABC2D
Occam's razor. It would have been much easier for the Prius to overtake the Chevy on the right.

Do you have dashcam footage of the Prius also overtaking the semi in the emergency lane?
No,
Unbelievable!! My memory recalled that the left shoulder wasn't even a full car-width (I had to watch it again to verify). It might just be a car's width, but it looks super tight (the fisheye lens may be distorting things and it may be bigger than it looks).

Not only is that dangerous, but that's where most debris ends up (like screws, broken glass, hub caps, etc.). He is just asking for a tire puncture as well.

You can barely fit on the shoulder so it's a squeeze for sure, even for a Prius. The rumble strips have the nasty stuff that gets kicked up and ruins your paint and other things you mentioned.

So he was in an obvious hurry..and when you have a driver like that driving like an emergency vehicle at 80mph..you don't engage with them. You get as far as possible away to protect yourself, your vehicle and others. Honking at them or keeping up the speed or trying to maintain your rights is not going to be safe at this point.

Oh and who am I telling..you said you have been a State trooper. So you probably know what defensive driving is but that's now what your video shows. It shows poorly on you, unfortunately. I am sorry this sounds disparaging but the truth is that you are equally at fault if an accident would have occurred.

Reactions: jeffaa
I blame the schools. Many schools abolished driver's education or curtailed the programs due to legal liability issues. Deep pocket doctrine strikes again, this time killing people.
Except in Calif you still have to obtain the education, but it might not come directly from the school. But your comment could certainly be extended to other activities that used to be standard and now are MIA.:(

Driver License (DL) and Identification Card (ID) Information

The Prius was never in the right lane and was never directly behind me. There was a F250 behind me and I think the Prius was directly following him and passed him on the left then just kept on going up until he got scared by the semi. I was completely settled in my lane when the Prius came on my left. I saw him pass the Chevy and thought..."this guy is nuts" then he says hello to me. Lol.
Thank you for clarifying. Perhaps the people in this thread who came to a certain conclusion based on no evidence can re-think their positions.
That is quite an assumption. I have seen many similar situations where people did not respond with a honk when another driver did something extremely stupid in their vicinity. I include myself in that group. Sometimes an event happens so quickly, and is so unexpected, that by the time I think about honking the other driver is too far away from me to even notice.

Reactions: RacerX
So he was in an obvious hurry..and when you have a driver like that driving like an emergency vehicle at 80mph..you don't engage with them. You get as far as possible away to protect yourself, your vehicle and others. Honking at them or keeping up the speed or trying to maintain your rights is not going to be safe at this point.

Oh and who am I telling..you said you have been a State trooper. So you probably know what defensive driving is but that's now what your video shows. It shows poorly on you, unfortunately. I am sorry this sounds disparaging but the truth is that you are equally at fault if an accident would have occurred.

We agree to disagree on this one, but I'm glad you know who would be at fault should an accident have happened. ;)