Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Willy3988 , No I didn't remove the autopilot camera housing or the autopilot cable channel. I installed the dash cam right below the autopilot camera housing, and ran the cables on the right side of the autopilot housing and up to the new channel that I installed.

I'll take some photos of the completed dashcam installation and post them.

Reactions: pchan
@Nerdy_Engineer Great video! This helped me do my own install and it's really super EASY!

For the rear cabling, I just pried off half of the paneling in the trunk. I bought some fancy pry tools from Amazon so I didn't break any clips.

With the OBD2 Memory Saver.... does this option forego the need to have a magic pro hard wire solution? I really don't want to splice into any OEM wires and tap into fuses because if Tesla is like Ford, that voids your warranty.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
I also pried the top half of the rear as well. Instead of the channel on the windshield I just used the 3m tape and trimmed it to the width of the wires. . Looks good. Would have been even cleaner if I found 1/4 inch tape and would not have to do any trimming. Removed the white lettering on the wires with Goof Off.

@jonman , yes, using the OBD2 Memory saver allows you to plug directly into the OBD2 port under the dash. You won't have to mess with any of the wires or fuses in the Tesla. And there's no need for the magic pro. The OBD2 port in Teslas is always powered. You can either splice the power cable directly to the cable on the OBD2 memory saver, or you can splice the OBD2 memory saver cable to a cigarette adapter cable.

• Informative
Reactions: jonman
I wasn't a big fan of the ODB Memory Saver sticking down so far and wanted a sleeker lower profile connector.

So I picked up one of these cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C2M2ZZG/

Cut the cable and spliced into the above mentioned socket adapter with 12V (red) wired into pin 16 and ground (black) to pin 4.

Attached is the result.

Attachments

• 20161005_205121.jpg
    20161005_205121.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 184
For folks who choose to forego Blackvue's charging cable: keep in mind that the Blackvue charging cable comes with a 2 amp fuse built-in to the cigarette lighter end (you can access it by unscrewing the tip). You might want to consider adding your own inline fuse to protect the Blackvue device. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-5x20mm-Holder-Inline-screw/dp/B00VLBAF84/

An inline fuse isn't required for the Blackvue to operate, but it's a safer way to go. It's super easy and inexpensive to add. For my own install, I purchased an inline fuse holder from Fry's Electronics for $2-3 USD and simply inserted the fuse that came inside Blackvue charger. Works great.

• Helpful
For folks who choose to forego Blackvue's charging cable: keep in mind that the Blackvue charging cable comes with a 2 amp fuse built-in to the cigarette lighter end (you can access it by unscrewing the tip). You might want to consider adding your own inline fuse to protect the Blackvue device. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-5x20mm-Holder-Inline-screw/dp/B00VLBAF84/

An inline fuse isn't required for the Blackvue to operate, but it's a safer way to go. It's super easy and inexpensive to add. For my own install, I purchased an inline fuse holder from Fry's Electronics for $2-3 USD and simply inserted the fuse that came inside Blackvue charger. Works great.

The fuse is not there to protect the $300 blackvue device... it's there to protect your $100+k car's electrical system. So don't bypass the fuse.

I wasn't a big fan of the ODB Memory Saver sticking down so far and wanted a sleeker lower profile connector.

Cut the cable and spliced into the above mentioned socket adapter with 12V (red) wired into pin 16 and ground (black) to pin 4.

Attached is the result.
It would have been a perfect setup if that cable was attached to the opposite end of the OBDII port!

Thanks to Brett for the super informative video. I was able to run the wiring and install the dashcam with no issues. I also used the OBD2 Memory Saver, which works great.

A question I have for everyone is, where did you hide the cig adapter/plug and wires near the OBD2 port? It doesn't seem like there is much room to hide everything out of the way.

@Raska, You can either tuck the cable under the carpet, or you can take off the cap on the side of the dash. I haven't removed that, but I saw photos of someone else that removed that piece of trim and there's plenty of room to store the excess cable in there.

I bought this same connector and the pin numbers are labeled reverse of the standard OBDII connector. Beyond that for mine, the White wire is the power (physical pin position #16) and the yellow/black is the ground (physical pin 4). The casing around the pings label these as 9 & 5 respectively.4

Chart for reference

OBD II power when key not in ignition

Attached is the result.

ok, so I got mirrored mixed up based on male female connections. The pin numbers are correct. The colors are still different. My power is purple and my ground is orange/black. I have verified functionality in my X. Does work now.

I bought this same connector and the pin numbers are labeled reverse of the standard OBDII connector. Beyond that for mine, the White wire is the power (physical pin position #16) and the yellow/black is the ground (physical pin 4). The casing around the pings label these as 9 & 5 respectively.4

Chart for reference

OBD II power when key not in ignition