Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS display in V7.0 with older sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Artsci, please let us know what you find. Would be good to have this feature, but I don't think $1k in parts and some labor is worth the value.

My car was scheduled to go to the SC in mid November for a repair of the old TPMS system, which is failing all the time and needs to be reset way too frequently. Yesterday they gave me the option of upgrading to the new system for the $1,000 price. I'm going to take them up on the offer. But I think I was only offered this option because the old system has been requiring resets so often.

My car was scheduled to go to the SC in mid November for a repair of the old TPMS system, which is failing all the time and needs to be reset way too frequently. Yesterday they gave me the option of upgrading to the new system for the $1,000 price. I'm going to take them up on the offer. But I think I was only offered this option because the old system has been requiring resets so often.

Since it is failing all the time, shouldn't they replace it on their dime? Unless they fix the old one, which they don't know how to.

Can you try to find out where the parts are located for the brain? Thinking maybe we can try doing it ourselves.

Maybe you should ask them if this is a covered "hardware upgrade" during the annual service :)

IMO, instead of paying Tesla $1000 for this upgrade, we should be lobbying them to make software changes that allow pressure readouts with the old hardware, even though those pressure readouts can't be automatically associated with the correct wheels, and give us a way to make the association manually.

IMO, instead of paying Tesla $1000 for this upgrade, we should be lobbying them to make software changes that allow pressure readouts with the old hardware, even though those pressure readouts can't be automatically associated with the correct wheels, and give us a way to make the association manually.

I agree 100% with this. We know that they have the data, so it would be relatively easy to implement a manual calibration. Easy to calibrate during the winter / summer tire exchange. The fact that they are not doing this really bugs me.

I've called Service and logged a request to have a couple of Warranty issues handled, and to find out about getting the TPMS upgraded. North Houston Service Center.

Update: North Houston called and said the latest knowledge they have is from a 12-day-old letter from Corporate stating: there is no retrofit to an updated TMPS for older cars. I told them about a customer having received such since that letter was issued, and asked them to inquire "live" up to Regional or National about the latest policy.

Last edited:
I've called Service and logged a request to have a couple of Warranty issues handled, and to find out about getting the TPMS upgraded. North Houston Service Center.

Update: North Houston called and said the latest knowledge they have is from a 12-day-old letter from Corporate stating: there is no retrofit to an updated TMPS for older cars. I told them about a customer having received such since that letter was issued, and asked them to inquire "live" up to Regional or National about the latest policy.

Refer them to this thread. They should find the parts list and figure out what needs to happen from there.

Peace,
Father Bill

Since it is failing all the time, shouldn't they replace it on their dime? Unless they fix the old one, which they don't know how to.

Can you try to find out where the parts are located for the brain? Thinking maybe we can try doing it ourselves.

They were going to repair the old system under warranty. But upgrading to the new is my cost.

I'm surprised the corporate Temple of Doom even permits this:)

I agree 100% with this. We know that they have the data, so it would be relatively easy to implement a manual calibration. Easy to calibrate during the winter / summer tire exchange. The fact that they are not doing this really bugs me.

Totally agree with the above. How much work can it be to add a small section under Settings/Service showing each tire pressure with a drop-down menu next to it allowing us to assign each to a wheel location? Done!

Totally agree with the above. How much work can it be to add a small section under Settings/Service showing each tire pressure with a drop-down menu next to it allowing us to assign each to a wheel location? Done!

A similar argument could be made about the new Speed Limit feature. Since the software can't rely on the camera to accurately read speed limit signs on the road, the software also uses the speed limits in the map database. How hard could it be to provide that feature to Classic owners - to at least provide us a display of the map database's speed limit for the current road???

A similar argument could be made about the new Speed Limit feature. Since the software can't rely on the camera to accurately read speed limit signs on the road, the software also uses the speed limits in the map database. How hard could it be to provide that feature to Classic owners - to at least provide us a display of the map database's speed limit for the current road???

I agree with you completely! I have sent Elon the suggestion to add the Speed Assist feature to all older, non-AP cars for this reason. I encourage others to do so as well.

This was the only feature I was looking forward to in the 7.0 since I don't have AP hardware. I decided to check my tires because of all this TPMS talk and all were well below the 45, but not low enough to trigger the general warning. Would really like to have this, even if it doesn't tell me which tire, on the same note, not sure it's worth $1000. Maybe like $400.

In another thread AP owners are already discussing the next generation AutoPilot hardware - and hoping Tesla will provide them an upgrade path...

While Tesla could, theoretically, design the Model S to facilitate future upgrades (like upgrading a PC with newer components), Tesla hasn't chosen that route - and it's more likely current AP owners will find they be the next generation of "Classic" owners when AP 2.0 hardware is released, and they discover there isn't a practical upgrade available to the new hardware.

However, Tesla can do better with their software - and should be trying to provide Classic owners at least limited access to new features (like Speed Assist). Of course, doing that increases the complexity of testing - because new features have to be tested on an increasing number of different configurations - which is why a more open beta program should be considered for Tesla - and why Microsoft (and others) do open betas - to get more people testing - on more different configurations.