Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Programming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back again, with another automotive basics question!

Almost pulled the trigger on winter tyres to fit Gavin's 18" Varros and TPMS. The bloke in the fitter said 'no problem', but 'are the TPMS programmed for the car?'.

What does this mean? What do they need?

I don't know about third party TMPS's, but when we swap between winter/summers on the Tesla ones, we don't have to do anything to get the new TPMS's recognised other than to drive the car for a mile or so. So they do not need to be 'paired' to the car as such other than just drive. A message does come up on screen, but its little more to remind us to change our wheel specification. As we have like for like wheel sets, it doesn't affect us, but as you are swapping between 18's and 20's, thats your reminder.

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob
I fitted Hof TPMS transducers, allegedly Tesla's choice, to my new 18 inch Borbet wheels with Kleber Krisalp HP3 winter tyres

Drove a mile or so. Got a nag. Hit the button. Sorted in less than a mile.

YMMV if you don't fit Hofs.

I chose them thanks to a nod in this parish to tpmswarehouse.com. Good price. Fast delivery.

Back again, with another automotive basics question!

Almost pulled the trigger on winter tyres to fit Gavin's 18" Varros and TPMS. The bloke in the fitter said 'no problem', but 'are the TPMS programmed for the car?'.

What does this mean? What do they need?
The TPMS that Gavin supplied me with needed no programming. When we swapped for the winters last year I just went into settings to change the wheel specification to 18”. After only a very brief drive the car recognised the sensors.