Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS retrofit for older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello migselv, did you get the tire pressure readings on the menu after the retrofit like gutowskia? I just did the retrofit at the local SC and they tell me it is not possible to display the pressure readings on my 2013 P85, which is in direct contradiction to what has been posted on this thread. Thanks!

I have a 2013 P85 which had the TPMS upgrade fine years ago. It displays the tire pressure for each car on the instrument cluster display. Your local Service Center is wrong.

The guys at the Toronto Lawrence service centre (awesome guys) just offered to do the retrofit for me. $680 CDN + tax (which seems pretty reasonable given what I'm reading here).

One of the sensors in my aftermarket wheels died, and their new wheel sensors won't fit my wheels, hence, the offer to replace the system. It would be nice to have the tire pressure readout on my dash, but not for that price.

For those looking to do the TPMS upgrade yourself.

I was able to purchase the upgraded continental receiver on eBay for $65 off a salvage vehicle. (Its $25 at Tesla if you can get them to sell you one). It took about 15 minutes to install as my car had the harness for the receiver behind the rear passenger seat bolster. When I had the service tech doing some work on my car I asked him to change the config file, which he gladly did and all works well. I didn’t even uninstall the gen 1 receiver and put in the connector plug as suggested in the service bulletin. The only downside is that my tire pressure shows the pressure then “—“ about every second as it must be getting signals from both receivers. No warning lights or anything though so I’ll probably just leave it as is for now.

For those looking to do the TPMS upgrade yourself.

I was able to purchase the upgraded continental receiver on eBay for $65 off a salvage vehicle. (Its $25 at Tesla if you can get them to sell you one). It took about 15 minutes to install as my car had the harness for the receiver behind the rear passenger seat bolster. When I had the service tech doing some work on my car I asked him to change the config file, which he gladly did and all works well. I didn’t even uninstall the gen 1 receiver and put in the connector plug as suggested in the service bulletin. The only downside is that my tire pressure shows the pressure then “—“ about every second as it must be getting signals from both receivers. No warning lights or anything though so I’ll probably just leave it as is for now.

Did you need only one receiver for this, or one in each wheel well.?

So, I have ordered the TPMS sending units for each tire. Also, a receiver, not sure from the service document, if the receiver is located inside one of the seats, or what.

Also, who has taken their car to have the sensors installed, where did you take it. I was thinking of some place like Tire Kingdom. Thoughts?

So, I have ordered the TPMS sending units for each tire. Also, a receiver, not sure from the service document, if the receiver is located inside one of the seats, or what.

Also, who has taken their car to have the sensors installed, where did you take it. I was thinking of some place like Tire Kingdom. Thoughts?
Any tire shop will do. It is located behind the rear passenger side seat bolster. You can get a service manual on eBay for like $6 that walks you through it. Remember you do have to get your config file in your car changed to gen 2.

Reactions: StarLog
Any tire shop will do. It is located behind the rear passenger side seat bolster. You can get a service manual on eBay for like $6 that walks you through it. Remember you do have to get your config file in your car changed to gen 2.

Found this :

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081828-5448.pdf

Already ordered the sensors, for Gen 2.
So if I order the ECU receiver, and I currently have a Gen 1, do I need all those extra parts they mention.?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David99
Only extra part you’ll need is that cap connector for the gen 1 receiver if you decide to remove it, but honestly it’s more hassle than it’s worth, I’m just leaving the gen 1 receiver in. Only downside is it doesn’t give a constant reading of your tire pressure, it’ll say “50” then “—“ then back to “50”, etc. it’ll flash each of these about half a second at a time. I don’t constantly have the car status screen on and it doesn’t throw low tire pressure warnings so I don’t really care all that much.

Daveweb,

That is the Homelink connector cap.?

BTW, called TireKingdom, they refuse to install the sensors, because they did not purchase them, PepBoys will do it for about $15/tire.

Last edited:
Well I needed the Homelink connector cap for this , so it would not do what Daveweb was talking about.
The local SC, said here you have have it as Goodwill. I know it was not expensive like .10 cents, but still that is way great of them.

OK, more questions.
I tried to get to the receiver behind the rear passenger seat per the tech bulletin.
I could not get to it, because it seems like I need to remove a major part of the seat.
Has anyone taken pictures of what needs to be performed.?

OK, more questions.
I tried to get to the receiver behind the rear passenger seat per the tech bulletin.
I could not get to it, because it seems like I need to remove a major part of the seat.
Has anyone taken pictures of what needs to be performed.?
I would highly suggest purchasing the service manual. I got mine for $6 on eBay. Tells you how to do everything. Just remember it’s on the passenger side.

I would highly suggest purchasing the service manual. I got mine for $6 on eBay. Tells you how to do everything. Just remember it’s on the passenger side.

Dave,

Looked the service manual over, for the bao long ecu, it shows getting to it from under the vehicle. and for the continental it is where i thought , behind the rear passenger, so if I have gen 1, and need to install gen 2. This means I might need the new cable harness, or am i making this a big deal. Seems to me to be easier to just pay Tesla techs to do the install of the gen 2ecu. I will have the sensors installed int he wheels already, and I purchased a gen 2 ecu online.
Thoughts ?

Dave,

Looked the service manual over, for the bao long ecu, it shows getting to it from under the vehicle. and for the continental it is where i thought , behind the rear passenger, so if I have gen 1, and need to install gen 2. This means I might need the new cable harness, or am i making this a big deal. Seems to me to be easier to just pay Tesla techs to do the install of the gen 2ecu. I will have the sensors installed int he wheels already, and I purchased a gen 2 ecu online.
Thoughts ?
When you take the seat bolster out you will easily see if you have the harness or not. If you don’t have the harness, then Tesla is your best bet if you don’t want to install it yourself. If you have the harness I think it’s a no brained to install yourself. If I did it all over again it would take me 5 mins.

I think this tab needs to be pushed to release the bolster easily. How is this tab pushed easily?

Attachments

• 9EC10990-CD2E-49E6-953A-501B6348CDE6.jpeg
    9EC10990-CD2E-49E6-953A-501B6348CDE6.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 200