Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Track Day Guide for Beginner and Experienced Model 3 Owners

What is your track experience level?

• Newbie - 0 times on track

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Beginner - 1-5 times on track

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Intermediate - 5-10 times on track

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Randy Pobst - 100+ times on track

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • In between Intermediate and Randy - 10-99 times on track

Votes: 15 21.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the UK, so I think it may be a while before we reach critical mass here, but it's going in the right direction.
The difficult part is the transition where the majority of trackday cars will be ICE and a small number of EVs want to join in.

I'm interested in finding out the size of this emerging market in N. America - tuning parts, trackday attendance etc. I suspect it's fairly small at the moment but rate of growth could be high...

I'm in the UK, so I think it may be a while before we reach critical mass here, but it's going in the right direction.
The difficult part is the transition where the majority of trackday cars will be ICE and a small number of EVs want to join in.

I'm interested in finding out the size of this emerging market in N. America - tuning parts, trackday attendance etc. I suspect it's fairly small at the moment but rate of growth could be high...
We'll let you know!:D

Track Noob w/a LR D. I have a track day scheduled for next weekend. First, thanks for this write-up. I'm currently trying to find out whether they'll be running CCW or CW. I have found cockpit YouTubes, and some commentary, for both directions to familiarize myself with how it looks.

A few questions, first. One of the quality videos is from a Lotus Exige. On their longest straight, which is just over a 1/4 mile, they are reaching about 108mph on the straight away. Any idea if I should expect/target, once I get further into the day, to be touching 100mph in those straights? I'm running Falken 245/40R18 200tw street-ish tires. Besides MPP Street pads and brake fluid swap I'm stock non-P AWD.

Are there any superchargers near the track, or RV outlets at the track?
I've got a SC about 30 miles away, which I plan to stop at to bring near top-off. Track in question is about 2.4 miles around, not a lot of elevation changes outside a single up-down hill on one of the straights, mix of slow-medium-fast with two 1/4 mile straights. What should I, roughly, expect for lap count I can get in? Theoretically I could leave mid-day for a 1.5hr BBQ lunch and be back with 80% or so. Just trying to plan my expectations here.

Which brings up a question that I didn't see addressed. What SOC do you aim for when you roll out for the first time on the track? For Autocross so far I've aimed for being at 85% when getting into grid because the car still has most of its acceleration potential while still having full, or effectively full, regen.

For a circuit would I ideally want more like 90%-95%, which I bring down into the 80's during a couple warm-up & finding out what's happening laps for the day?

I'm not sure yet if they'll have a NEMA 14-50 plug on site I can get to. They might, because they have various levels of member garages and such. I don't think they've ever had a BEV (or at least the person that invited my hasn't seen it), but if they do I might be able to get back up into the 90's before starting. Even without charging plug I could start my day early, be very careful driving after the SC, and do my tire change on-site to likely be around 90% if that is what I want to target.

Last edited:
@SammichLover will that be your first track day? Honestly your speed on the straight away should be the least of your concern. I lap motorcycles more than cars, but I usually don't bother with wide open throttle on the straights unless I'm gunning for a personal best. It's better to focus on learning the track and memorizing your braking points, turning points, apexes, and the general line. Like the article said, these things are really hard to get right when you're pushing it. of course don't do like 50 down the straight when everyone else is going 90... that gets dangerous!

Honestly your speed on the straight away should be the least of your concern. I lap motorcycles more than cars, but I usually don't bother with wide open throttle on the straights unless I'm gunning for a personal best. It's better to focus on learning the track and memorizing your braking points, turning points, apexes, and the general line.

Agreed, much of your top speed on a straight comes from the previous corner exit so don't focus on the straights, worry about the corners!

As far as lap count, it really depends on how hard you're driving and the track itself. I'd guesstimate a 95% charged battery could do 20-30 laps.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
Track Noob w/a LR D. I have a track day scheduled for next weekend. First, thanks for this write-up. I'm currently trying to find out whether they'll be running CCW or CW. I have found cockpit YouTubes, and some commentary, for both directions to familiarize myself with how it looks.

A few questions, first. One of the quality videos is from a Lotus Exige. On their longest straight, which is just over a 1/4 mile, they are reaching about 108mph on the straight away. Any idea if I should expect/target, once I get further into the day, to be touching 100mph in those straights? I'm running Falken 245/40R18 200tw street-ish tires. Besides MPP Street pads and brake fluid swap I'm stock non-P AWD.

I've got a SC about 30 miles away, which I plan to stop at to bring near top-off. Track in question is about 2.4 miles around, not a lot of elevation changes outside a single up-down hill on one of the straights, mix of slow-medium-fast with two 1/4 mile straights. What should I, roughly, expect for lap count I can get in? Theoretically I could leave mid-day for a 1.5hr BBQ lunch and be back with 80% or so. Just trying to plan my expectations here.

Which brings up a question that I didn't see addressed. What SOC do you aim for when you roll out for the first time on the track? For Autocross so far I've aimed for being at 85% when getting into grid because the car still has most of its acceleration potential while still having full, or effectively full, regen.

For a circuit would I ideally want more like 90%-95%, which I bring down into the 80's during a couple warm-up & finding out what's happening laps for the day?

I'm not sure yet if they'll have a NEMA 14-50 plug on site I can get to. They might, because they have various levels of member garages and such. I don't think they've ever had a BEV (or at least the person that invited my hasn't seen it), but if they do I might be able to get back up into the 90's before starting. Even without charging plug I could start my day early, be very careful driving after the SC, and do my tire change on-site to likely be around 90% if that is what I want to target.

There is power available, but its paid for with camping dues. RV Park | Buttonwillow Raceway Park
I believe we are running CW direction. At least one BEV was there with global time attack, so they are no strangers to them.

Agreed, much of your top speed on a straight comes from the previous corner exit
That was my thinking, trying to gauge where my exit was at.

Probably better to ask someone observing it directly. Supposedly the membership holder my invite is under should be able to show the course first time around for the lines. Never met him before, friend of a friend, but knows the track & has worked as an instructor is my understanding (for Lotus cars?).

I'm guessing Tesla Corsa is running Buttonwillow CW13, that seems to be the most common layout. If you watch our Global Time Attack Buttonwillow video there is a lap of both Sasha driving and Cameron. The speed displayed on the dash is in KMH when Sasha is driving and MPH when Cameron is driving!

Yup CW13. I credit that video quite a bit with helping me go faster on this track, definitely worth studying!

But i still want to know how you guys ran two-way adjustable coilovers in Enthusiast class..

Hey guys, thought I would just ask to see what the game plan is for charging if you are going to participate on track? I am going the night before but won't get to the hotel until about 1 or 2am. Starting to get worried charging is going to be a cluster with so many cars attending same event.

Maybe if we all plan won't be a problem or maybe I am just over reacting. Funny never had range anxiety before but I guess I have track day range anxiety (TRDA)..

Let's take this chat over to the Tesla Corsa thread: Tesla Corsa 2nd Event is Jan 27th!

But to answer your question before we go over there, i think charging will be busy but we will manage. Last time i was at the track i had about 2 hours between my 2nd and 3rd sessions which gave me plenty of time to supercharge (about an hour to get full). Tesla Corsa will have about 3 hours in between the 2nd and 3rd sessions, so that should give time for 2x groups of people to charge. Also the two run groups are staggered by an hour, so that means 3x groups of people can charge.

With 3x groups of people able to charge and 20x nearby superchargers, Buttonwillow could theoretically accommodate 60x people charging and we have about 45 (assuming no regular people want to use the chargers that is :D)
Yeah hopefully not an issue. Thanks

I think I responded to this on "another" forum (ahem...) but I'd like to follow this thread. If there is anyone on this forum who would like to meet up and do a track day in the North East (anywhere from DC to New Hampshire) say in March or April when it starts to warm up, I'd love to meet some more experienced folks or fellow noobies who are interested in learning how to track the Model 3.

I have zero track experience, I know a little theory as a racing sim aficionado (Asseto Corsa) but really am starting from scratch.

Last edited: