Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tracking automaker nacs adoption in NA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about Stellantis ?

Are they the last one standing now ?
Last "big" one, but there are some other smaller ones like Mazda:

1703169540303.png

I gave up caring about Mazda when they quit making the RX7 rotary. :mad:
I stopped caring after 1985. I had an '83 RX7 and and upgraded to an '85 GSL-SE RX7, the one with leather seats, air conditioning, power windows, etc., and the slightly larger, 90 cubic inch rotary engine. Both silver. True two-seater. They were beautiful cars and classics. Never any problems. The '85 was the last year of the original body shape. 0-60 in 7.8 seconds, 5 speed manual. Lots of memories from my younger years in those cars.

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 10.05.09 PM.png

All 66 mx-30 evs they sold in the us last year will now have supercharger access. The horror.
From the wording of Mazda Adopts North American Charging Standard (NACS) for North American BEVs, no. "Mazda Motor Corporation (“Mazda”) today announced an agreement was reached with Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) to adopt the North American Charging Standard (“NACS”) for charging ports on the company’s Battery Electric Vehicles (“BEVs”) launched in North America from 2025 onward."

There's no mention of adapters nor existing BEVs. And, MX-30 is dead for the US.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex
2/12/24 Stellantis

That should complete the list. Here they are in order:
11/11/22 Aptera
5/25/23 Ford
6/8/23 GM
6/20/23 Rivian
6/27/23 Volvo
6/29/23 Polestar
7/7/23 Mercedes
7/19/23 Nissan
8/15/23 Fisker
8/18/23 Honda/Acura
10/5/23 Hundai/Kia
9/21/23 Jaguar
10/17/23 BMW
10/19/23 Toyota
11/1/23 Subaru
11/6/23 Lucid
12/19/23 Volkswagon/Audi/Porsche
1/16/24 Mazda
2/12/24 Stellantis

Last edited:
Correct. It appears that while Stellantis adopted the J3400 connector, they did not sign with Tesla to become a NACS partner in order to gain access to the Supercharger network.
Oh, that IS interesting.
Apologies to @E90alex - I responded with a "funny" because I assumed Stellantis basically just didn't want to say "Tesla" since "NACS" effectively means that. I found such a position humorous.
It now sounds more like they may have a more meaningful plan or distinction in mind.

It now sounds more like they may have a more meaningful plan or distinction in mind.
Stellantis is part of the IONNA group that is planning to install ~30k of their own chargers. So maybe their plan is that those will be in place before they are selling enough EVs that it matters? Or maybe they think that Tesla will just open the Supercharger network to all vehicles, even if the OEM doesn't have an agreement. Or maybe they didn't want to, or couldn't, meet the technical requirements that Tesla wants of a NACS partner.

Reactions: E90alex
Correct. It appears that while Stellantis adopted the J3400 connector, they did not sign with Tesla to become a NACS partner in order to gain access to the Supercharger network.
Prospective Customer: I see these EV Jeeps have Tesla connectors. Does that mean I can use Tesla Superchargers?

Jeep Salesman: No. But IONNA has two fast chargers in the state now. And they're opening a third next year.

Prospective Customer: I think I'll look at a Tesla instead.

Jeep Salesman: Do you need a referral code?

Curiously Stellantis refers to the connector as J3400 and never mentions NACS, Tesla or Supercharger access.
Yep.