Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... and now I'm back to "order confirmed". I doubt this is anything other than the dashboard being incredibly hinky -- as someone else said recently, it seems like the whole thing is driven by an Excel spreadsheet and sneakernet.
Yeah, that. DS says it's "just a glitch with your MyTesla account" and that "Your new Dual Motor All Wheel Drive Tesla Model S has completed the production process and has been transported to a rail compound north of the Fremont, CA factory." Yay! Though it'll still probably be weeks 'til I have it.

(And in the mean time the dashboard still shows "in production". It's amazing how little effort Tesla seems to put into the web site and other customer communication.)

My DS just called Me and advised that I can't get the Next gen seats since we are so close to starting production.

My Tesla still states :Order Confirmed
Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.

DS also said that if not that I was so near production that I would have had to pay $500 for the change and then pay for the price for the next gen seats. He also said that it would also delay the production and delivery time for My Model S if we were able to make the change.
I am okay to stay with My present configuration and seats (version 1.5 as some here have said) and hopefully get My Model S delivered this month. DS says he is optimistic that I will have delivery on March 23rd. I am estimating that Tesla will start production on March 5th (educated guess based on the view here on this forum that there are 6 weeks between VIN assignment and actual production start).
Hopefully I will get My Model S before March 23rd :smile:.

My DS just called Me and advised that I can't get the Next gen seats since we are so close to starting production.
I'd guess that their production schedule is pretty well fixed a week or two before production actually starts and any changes within that period require a bit of effort. As well, I'd bet no non-P85D's will be built with NG until after they've delivered to all of the folks still waiting on them so probably April or May at the earliest.

I'd guess that their production schedule is pretty well fixed a week or two before production actually starts and any changes within that period require a bit of effort. As well, I'd bet no non-P85D's will be built with NG until after they've delivered to all of the folks still waiting on them so probably April or May at the earliest.
I'd say anyone switching to next gen seats will be back to the end of the line (i.e. May). If Tesla delivers non-P85D with next gen seats before all the existing customers get their cars upgraded, I think that would cause a rather understandable uproar. People are unhappy enough that new P85D orders currently get preference...

I wouldn't necessarily rush to switch to the new seats. If you've sat in them and the older style and prefer the new ones then so be it. But despite the presumption on these forums they are some sort of indisputable improvement I think they really are going to come down to personal preference. I suspect after more time passes and the newness wears off you'll see a more nuanced view of them on these forums. So whatever you do about seats, I strongly urge everyone to sit in them and make up your own mind.

I wouldn't necessarily rush to switch to the new seats. If you've sat in them and the older style and prefer the new ones then so be it. But despite the presumption on these forums they are some sort of indisputable improvement I think they really are going to come down to personal preference. I suspect after more time passes and the newness wears off you'll see a more nuanced view of them on these forums. So whatever you do about seats, I strongly urge everyone to sit in them and make up your own mind.
Definitely. The initial P85D tester in Portland had the old seats. They got a new one with the next gen seats a couple of days after I confirmed my order and I tried them "just in case". I must say I loved the next gen seats and was happy that I ordered them (I'm rather tall and not exactly slender)...
Then of course there are people like vger who have both a Model S with the nex gen seats and one without and he seems to speak extremely highly of them. But of course, it all boils down to personal preference.

Took delivery today. I know its been said before many times in many posts here. The 85D lives up to all expectations, hype and whatever else you want to call it.

What a truly incredible piece of engineering, Detroit better look out because I think the future of the auto industry is with Tesla.

Took delivery today. I know its been said before many times in many posts here. The 85D lives up to all expectations, hype and whatever else you want to call it.

What a truly incredible piece of engineering, Detroit better look out because I think the future of the auto industry is with Tesla.
Portland, what a coincidence... I hope to get mine next week. What color? You're missing the semi-standard signature :)

18 days of "In production". My DES told me he would contact the factory to find out what's up with my car. I hope to get an update today.

Ok so I got an update. Apparently, my car had a defect while in the body-in-white phase.. Probably a structure assembly problem (welding or else). The factory tried to fix it but they ended up building another car for me. This new, 2nd car, has just completed paint.

I was told to expect a delivery in Montreal on or around the 18th of March (in exactly 2 weeks).

Ok so I got an update. Apparently, my car had a defect while in the body-in-white phase.. Probably a structure assembly problem (welding or else). The factory tried to fix it but they ended up building another car for me. This new, 2nd car, has just completed paint.

I was told to expect a delivery in Montreal on or around the 18th of March (in exactly 2 weeks).

That's good news for you. If they said they found a defect and then said they fixed it, you'd never be at ease, I certainly wouldn't.

Portland, what a coincidence... I hope to get mine next week. What color? You're missing the semi-standard signature :)
Blue!

16718534301_8960298cd1_z_d.jpg

DS said that there's been about 4 delivered in the Portland area so far. Saw at least a few P85Ds just sitting in the lot.

That's good news for you. If they said they found a defect and then said they fixed it, you'd never be at ease, I certainly wouldn't.

I think this explains the past 2 weeks of "your car is at paint" and no more info... lets day they were able to fix the problem : they gain nothing by telling me "your car had a problem, we fixed it, don't worry"... so I was kept in the dark. Now that a new car has been built, they don't mind telling me they had an issue..