Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bravo on the delivery and on wearing your museum TShirt for it!
Ha! I wondered if anyone would catch that! :)

So far my report is that the car is absurdly quick. Like, who the heck need a P85D quick. Test drive an 85D first IMHO unless you're just plain wealthy and don't care about the money.

It's getting Xpel Ultimated right now, I'll be driving her home for good on Friday. Another friggin' waiting game.

Ha! I wondered if anyone would catch that! :)

So far my report is that the car is absurdly quick. Like, who the heck need a P85D quick. Test drive an 85D first IMHO unless you're just plain wealthy and don't care about the money.

It's getting Xpel Ultimated right now, I'll be driving her home for good on Friday. Another friggin' waiting game.

How does the acceleration compare to a S85 or a P85? I'm hoping it's closer to a P85 than S85...

How does the acceleration compare to a S85 or a P85? I'm hoping it's closer to a P85 than S85...
According to Tesla, 0-60mph is 5.4s for the 85 and 5.2s for 85D. The HP is about the same, slighly less for the 85D. Range is a little better for 85D. So for me the only compelling reason to get 85D or 85 is for better traction, but because of where I live AWD traction alone was not worth parting with an extra $5000. I wish that Tesla had designed the 85D to have decisively more power than the 85 and brought the 0-60 down to 4.7s or quicker. (Maybe with software upgrade we'll see a little.) That would make it a really compelling upgrade and split the difference between the 85 and P85D. Personally, I could not see spending an extra $30k to go all the way to P85D, and the 85D was too close to the 85 to be worth an extra $5000. So I was content to order a plain old 85, which in everyday driving is plenty quick for me.

I was also disappointed that Tesla pulled the 60D. The added range from the D, I think, would have made it a compelling upgrade from the standard 60. Perhaps after they opimize the software for the D, they could get a range of 228 miles or more out of a 60D up from a range of 208 for the 60. An extra 20 mile range plus the traction of AWD would be worth a $5000 upgrade, especially if they threw in SC access too. It's too bad that Tesla is not trying very hard to create demand for the moderate and lower price versions of the Model S. All good things in time, I suppose.

Honestly, it's crazy quick. I floored it on the highway and kept giggling involuntarily. I test drove both the S85 and the P85 and though it's been a while, I have to say this is similar to the P85. I didn't think the S85 was crazy quick when I drove it.

Congrats on taking delivery of the 85D! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the performance of the dual-motor AWD system, particularly handling and range.

Main reason for my upgrade 85 to 85D was the range increase. It only says 5 miles on the Tesla site but EPA has it at 18 miles greater highway or 10% greater according to MPGe. Even if it's 5% greater range(efficiency) that also means 5% faster charging and 5% cheeper to refill. Here's to hoping the numbers pan out!

Last edited:
So based on the part arriving this afternoon I'd bet on Thursday sometime.

Part arrived at Tesla, they've scheduled me for an 11am delivery tomorrow. They say the service team is working vigorously to have it installed, which I take it to mean they are working late tonight.

Due to the changing schedules the earliest the PPF can be done is Monday, they're booked for the rest of the week. So I'll have it for a while before that, just going to have to baby it for a few days.

Just got an email from DS. Although the dashboard has been showing In Production for a week now, DS says "It has entered the early stages of production at our factory in Fremont, and will likely be completed in the next week or two." He goes on to say that once it is ready for delivery, he will THEN contact me to schedule the appointment.

It escapes my how there is so much slack built in where they can only say it might be completed in a week or two, and then it has to be complete before we can schedule the appt.

Hrrmmph....

It escapes my how there is so much slack built in where they can only say it might be completed in a week or two, and then it has to be complete before we can schedule the appt.

Lessons they learned from the issues in August after the factory shut down and after the P85D. Unexpected things happen, things don't always go as planned and people start making plans based on what they tell you. So they no longer want to set dates until the car is finished (and if applicable being transported). Given my situation, even that doesn't save them from being terribly wrong. Assuming I actually pickup the car tomorrow per the plan, we're 6 days and 1 hour later than the original deliver appointment. That appointment wasn't made until the car was already being transported. Given the newness of 85Ds and situations like mine I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't started padding delivery dates accordingly.

Just got an email from DS. Although the dashboard has been showing In Production for a week now, DS says "It has entered the early stages of production at our factory in Fremont, and will likely be completed in the next week or two." He goes on to say that once it is ready for delivery, he will THEN contact me to schedule the appointment.

Hrrmmph....
I just got the exact same email.

JIT manufacturing can always have some hiccups due to part shortages and I'd guess that Tesla, like many others, is being extra messed up by the longshoreman's slowdown. Transportation is also not overly exact unless you pay quite a bit extra. An auto rack (approx 20 Teslas?) may make it to North Platte (I think every train in the world goes through North Platte) and wait for several days for the next available spot going in the right direction. It may then spend another day or two somewhere else before hooking a ride to it's final destination.