Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Added mine to the spreadsheet... lots of Canadians now that the AWD option is out! I know the 2WD was good in snow... it's snow and hills where the AWD comes in handy! Looks like I was a day late to the party - ordered on Oct. 11th and I see a few ordered on the 10th!

I had the first order on the 9th. Order date and to some extent confirmed date don't guarantee production order. The 11th is still early enough to be in the first batch.

Added mine to the spreadsheet... lots of Canadians now that the AWD option is out! I know the 2WD was good in snow... it's snow and hills where the AWD comes in handy! Looks like I was a day late to the party - ordered on Oct. 11th and I see a few ordered on the 10th!

3 - you confirmed 2 weeks later, though. They would have given you priority if you confirmed also on 10/11 rather than 10/23.

I changed the code on my screen-scraping script to run every five minutes, just in case. ;)

Nice! Would you be able to share the code?

BTW, I noticed that PatT has entered production on 12/22 (this past Saturday) with tan next-gen seats and piano black trim, which changes from the 12/21 trend of black next-gen and carbon fiber trim. So far the only common denominator seems to be order date... and surprisingly only one Canadian given they got the early VINs (though sample size is still small to draw any conclusions.)

Last edited:
Nice! Would you be able to share the code?

BTW, I noticed that PatT has entered production on 12/22 (this past Saturday) with tan next-gen seats and piano black trim, which changes from the 12/21 trend of black next-gen and carbon fiber trim. So far the only common denominator seems to be order date... and surprisingly only one Canadian given they got the early VINs (though sample size is still small to draw any conclusions.)

Interesting. Perhaps tesla is purposely slow rolling the P85Ds to make sure they have the process down. There are a ton of 12/1 EOLs.

Interesting. Perhaps tesla is purposely slow rolling the P85Ds to make sure they have the process down. There are a ton of 12/1 EOLs.

My bet would be there were a few slots open in the end of the vehicles they're building for marketing purposes. So some customer vehicles slipped in tad early. But I'd bet that P85D production began last week or the week before in order to have demo vehicles in stores. This jives with people saying that some stores were expecting to have P85D's this week.

It's also worth remembering that they have to finish building all P85 and P85+ vehicles in the order queue before January. I haven't heard of them asking any of those people to switch to a different model in order to keep their orders. I suspect most of the P85+ vehicles were just changed to P85D, but given the price difference and the performance drop of going down to an 85D I'd bet some people wanted their P85. There's also the people with black roofs and green/brown paint. But I doubt there's enough of those to impact production timing.

How many days is production? 5 days? Weekdays only? Once done, then car is transported to delivery center for final prep?

5 days is pretty average. That's counting weekends. My September 2014 car started on a Sunday and finished on Wednesday (4 days). From what I've read here they run 6 days a week, so my Sunday production start might just have been when the computer changed state to start on Monday.

The car may not immediately get shipped out after production finishes since they aren't putting one car on a truck at a time. Though I believe they batch production by destination to limit delays waiting to start transport.

Hmm interesting, wonder if I should change my delivery preference from San Rafael to the Fremont factory...

If I was in California I'd take a Factory Delivery. But I doubt it'll change your delivery timing by much. I'd be doing it for the factory tour right when you pickup your car. Other people have asked and been told a day or two difference from other California deliveries.