Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Canadian orders got prioritized not because of shipping timing with the end of the fiscal quarter, but instead because of weather. Who better to get AWD to ASAP during winter than our neighbors to the north.

I say that because we're seeing a few early December delivery date estimates for Canadian orders. If it was due to timing, I'd expect those to all be mid/late December.

I wondered about that too but I'm not sure if the fact that our need may be greater would be enough to re-prioritize Tesla's deliveries. I guess if they are seeing an upsurge in Canadian orders there might be some benefit in showing Canadian orders being up? I suppose too, that the more of us have AWD and can rave about it, the more people might start buying Teslas. When I talk to people about my car, one of the first questions I get usually are about the drive type and then when I say RWD, they ask me about winter driving. I always point out (as many people on here did to me) that RWD seems to work well given proper snow tires but I suspect many people have come to enjoy the confidence that AWD brings them. I predict that sales in my neck of the woods will increase now.

andrew,
When the misunderstanding occurred, I decided to simply wait to the two years of ownership mark to allow the depreciation to occur over a longer period of time and number of miles. I pushed the build out to Aug. When the misunderstanding was corrected, I revisited my configuration and noticed the coil/air option. Once I have that determined, I'll lock my configuration and ask them to build the car at their earliest convenience (as I will be MS less and jonesing for a fix).

I wonder if Canadian orders got prioritized not because of shipping timing with the end of the fiscal quarter, but instead because of weather. Who better to get AWD to ASAP during winter than our neighbors to the north.

I say that because we're seeing a few early December delivery date estimates for Canadian orders. If it was due to timing, I'd expect those to all be mid/late December.
It would be nice to think we are getting some priority. Might make up for us having to wait so long for the first Sig deliveries.

I just ordered, and confirmed mine. Added to the spreadsheet. For delivery, all I am seeing is "requested delivery." It says December. Will I get a new delivery date once it goes through the system? I am guessing that since I did it late on a Saturday I won't get anything definitive until Monday. Is that true?

There does seem to be a strong correlation between VIN assignment and locations in Canada and U.S. locations distant from California. There is only one California delivery location on the spreadsheet with a VIN assigned. Tesla may be planning to maximize the total sales volume on deliveries before the end of the fourth quarter; start the closer deliveries later because they have less shipping time.

It would be nice to think we are getting some priority. Might make up for us having to wait so long for the first Sig deliveries.
Not to mention the superchargers

- - - Updated - - -

There does seem to be a strong correlation between VIN assignment and locations in Canada and U.S. locations distant from California. There is only one California delivery location on the spreadsheet with a VIN assigned. Tesla may be planning to maximize the total sales volume on deliveries before the end of the fourth quarter; start the closer deliveries later because they have less shipping time.
I think this makes sense and is the most likely reason for the VIN assignment order. Build all the ones that need more shipping time and then you make sure to get as many new orders fulfilled before end of December as possible.

I received an automated email with my VIN this morning, 24 hours after it showed up on the tesla portal. FYI for those of you who don't log into mytesla every day.

Also of note, motortrend's hands-on review of the P85D called it a 2015. I double checked my VIN and it is decoding as a 2014 model. Historically Tesla changes the model year on January 1st. If VINs are assigned about 30 days out, I would expect VIN's issued at the beginning of December will decode to 2015. Motortrend probably assumed their test car was a 2015.

Lastly, thanks to whomever added the charts! Nice addition.

Last edited:
If you haven't already, check out the Motor Trend review of the P85D. They get 3.1 seconds 0-60 and have this amazing quote:

But scrambling to the same 60 mph time in the P85D bears no resemblance to that at all. With one transmission gear and no head-bobbing shifts, it's instead a rail-gun rush down a quarter-mile of asphalt bowling lane. Nothing in the drivetrain reciprocates; every part spins. There's no exhaust smell; the fuel is invisible. The torque impacts your body with the violence of facing the wrong way on the train tracks when the whistle blows. Within the first degree of its first revolution, 100 percent of the motors' combined 687 lb-ft slams the sense out of you. A rising-pitch ghost siren augers into your ears as you're not so much accelerating as pneumatically suctioned into the future. You were there. Now you're here.