Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be true if they hadn't apparently stalled production. The indications, based on the spreadsheet and cars ordered by people who post here, is that this process has stalled.
I'm still not sure which reason I believe but if it is stickers I think they have just made a decision not to show the completion status until the car has that sticker. My situation seems to illustrate this further where the status had shown completed for several days but then they chose to flag it as still in product. It's possible too that they would rather have the cars show as still inProduction during this delay than look like undelivered inventory, regardless of what the actual delay is. Depends which metrics they are sensitive to.

- - - Updated - - -

Also only true if the EPA issue is resolved quickly. If there is some issue with that (arguments over the numbers, etc.) that could also pose a bigger problem.
I wonder if the P85D numbers don't look very good. There is some definite slight of hand going on with the range numbers on the web site and the EPA numbers would be pretty unambiguous. Not sure if there is any right of appeal or if these numbers are set in stone.

That would be true if they hadn't apparently stalled production. The indications, based on the spreadsheet and cars ordered by people who post here, is that this process has stalled.

I'm still not sure which reason I believe but if it is stickers I think they have just made a decision not to show the completion status until the car has that sticker. My situation seems to illustrate this further where the status had shown completed for several days but then they chose to flag it as still in product. It's possible too that they would rather have the cars show as still inProduction during this delay than look like undelivered inventory, regardless of what the actual delay is. Depends which metrics they are sensitive to.

I think you missed my point.

People here have noted that far fewer cars than we think should be have been ENTERING production over the past several days. Based on what we know about the production schedule, the number of cars that initially entered production, and the number of cars that have entered production the last four or five days, the consensus here seems to be that production has either stopped or significantly slowed down.

Ok guys, I just got the following response from the senior manager of global delivery experience that I've been communicating with:

There is no delay with the Monroney stickers, these were finalized recently.

To which I asked, so what are the official EPA numbers? Will post her response as soon as I get it.

UPDATE - here's the response I received:

Sorry, I do not have that information. I’ll let you know if it’s communicated via our sales administration team at some point.

So either they did get the stickers but their "sales administration" isn't willing to release the EPA numbers yet, or they still haven't received them and they're stalling us.

Last edited:
I wonder if the P85D numbers don't look very good. There is some definite slight of hand going on with the range numbers on the web site and the EPA numbers would be pretty unambiguous. Not sure if there is any right of appeal or if these numbers are set in stone.

There was a post on the TM forums where someone was contacted by their DS warning that the P85D they had ordered would have less range than the S85 they had currently. I'd be ready for some range decrease.

People here have noted that far fewer cars than we think should be have been ENTERING production over the past several days. Based on what we know about the production schedule, the number of cars that initially entered production, and the number of cars that have entered production the last four or five days, the consensus here seems to be that production has either stopped or significantly slowed down.

There could be any number of reasons for that. They may have shifted production to other non-P85D cars in queue for December. Remember they have to flush the order queue of P85, P85+, green, brown and black roofs this month. If there's any sort of delay on the P85D it would make sense to start building these cars and thus keeping their distribution system busy rather than having everyone sit around twiddling their thumbs for this issue.

Ok guys, I just got the following response from the senior manager of global delivery experience that I've been communicating with:

There is no delay with the Monroney stickers, these were finalized recently.

To which I asked, so what are the official EPA numbers? Will post her response as soon as I get it.

It'll be interesting to see what the answer to that is. Technically, you could argue that the issue isn't with the stickers but with the EPA numbers. If you get avoidance on answering that question then I think that's what the delay is. At this point cars would have been delivered so if it's something else they should just be able to answer that question.

I think you missed my point.

People here have noted that far fewer cars than we think should be have been ENTERING production over the past several days.

I think this is a pretty strong argument, actually. If it was window stickers you would think they would just keep banging them through production as fast as they can and slap all the stickers on them once they arrive.

It'll be interesting to see what the answer to that is. Technically, you could argue that the issue isn't with the stickers but with the EPA numbers. If you get avoidance on answering that question then I think that's what the delay is. At this point cars would have been delivered so if it's something else they should just be able to answer that question.

I updated my post at the top of this page with the response, which was basically "we're not willing to share the numbers at this point".

If it was window stickers you would think they would just keep banging them through production as fast as they can and slap all the stickers on them once they arrive.

Not necessarily. Tesla wants to ship/deliver cars, so if there is a delay with unknown resolution date that's preventing them from releasing P85Ds to customers and recognizing revenue, they're better off building AND shipping other models they know can be released instead of piling up P85Ds that can't be delivered.

Not necessarily. Tesla wants to ship/deliver cars, so if there is a delay with unknown resolution date that's preventing them from releasing P85Ds to customers and recognizing revenue, they're better off building AND shipping other models they know can be released instead of piling up P85Ds that can't be delivered.

Good point. Not having a "demand problem" puts Tesla in a position to do this.

I updated my post at the top of this page with the response, which was basically "we're not willing to share the numbers at this point".

Don't they have a separate line that is handling the D models. I would think it would take too much time to change production programing and staging for a week delay.

The exact quote and your characterization don't really match. There's a difference from not having the information and not being willing to share it. I'd say the person you're talking with sounds willing to share it if they had it.

When I wrote "we're not willing to share the numbers" I was referring the "we" to that "sales administration" quote referred in the delivery experience manager's reply. She may be willing to share them herself, yes, but the sales administration hasn't released them to her - which I can only infer that, IF they do have the EPA numbers, they're not communicating them to anyone yet.

That said, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have distributed that information to delivery if it was available since you know people are going to be asking these sorts of questions at delivery.

Yes, and to add to this, the Monroney stickers are apparently required for delivery, so they MUST have them to release cars to their customers. Which is probably why (speculating, of course) they aren't delivering any P85Ds yet.

OK, so, just spoke to my DS who has always been pretty straightforward. His story is that my car and others are done and "in a lot at Tesla" waiting for the Federal Government "to approve the windows sticker for the P85D." And until that happens they can not legally ship any of the P85Ds. When asked about a time frame he said he doesn't have one. Jokingly I said that I hope it's before the end of the year and he said, "Yeah, we're hoping that too."

Dash status still reads "In Production."

How accurate this info is, I don't know, but as I said before my DS has been pretty straight on everything in the past.

They can't sell them. Can they move them to the SC so at least when the approval comes in they can immediately release the cars? I'm assuming no or they would have already done it.

Last edited:
They can't sell them. Can they move them to the SC so at least when he approval comes in they can immediately release the cars? I'm assuming no or they would have already done it.
They certainly can ship the cars out to dealers without final window stickers if that's the only issue.

A friend snapped this photo of a brand new 2015 Z06 Corvette:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10675544_10204328395982942_5627486841920513257_n.jpg?oh=1b71f4a875474ee33f7cc11bc31c1caa&oe=55173EDE&__gda__=1427646625_30d707b52d290eac14c1bf29ee0f447e

This tweet looks like a P85D in the wild to me -- anybody seen this picture before? If it's new, there's certainly something that looks like a window sticker -- first, here's a link to the tweet:

Crazy4cars on Twitter:

and here's a copy of the picture. Anybody got the story on this picture/car? Maybe life ain't so bad after all?

Attachments

• tesla - window sticker.jpg
    tesla - window sticker.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 678
They certainly can ship the cars out to dealers without final window stickers if that's the only issue...

my S never had a final window sticker. I tried a few times to get one through early 2013 but it seemed like they didn't have one for my vin. or they weren't making them yet back then

..that P85D 'wild' picture is at the factory. probably a Test car, 'anything' is possible

Last edited: