Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of information reflects poorly on Tesla as a luxury car manufacturer. I expect more after dropping $250K on two cars. I traded in my car and my wife's car goes back off lease on 12/15. While it is not the end of the world to rent a car, the least Tesla can do is tell us the general nature of the issue and a resolution date. Sit tight and wait is not a great answer.

Totally agreed! I also asked the Sr. Manager of global delivery experience when I can expect to get a delivery date, and she said I'm welcome to set one up with my DS but to be aware that it's subject to change at any time. So no way to get a firm date at this point although I'm in the last stages of production... Very strange.

Just had a chat with Sales Advisor,

Delivery can either be December or March, January and February are completely filled up for International Deliveries apparently.

I don't know if I'll be able to claim the whole $7500 back this year. But just gonna bite the bullet and order today.

I will update the spreadsheet as information comes available.

:)

Just spoke with my DS today after getting an email asking for payment plans. I asked which car the email was referring to, assuming it would be the P85, but he said it was for both, and that I should still expect delivery before the end of the year for both the P85 and the P85D. I asked about the delays noted on the forum, and he said yeah, but that December delivery is still expected.

osama,
You're upset because Tesla is talking to you. ANY other manufacturer (actually, the dealer) will just tell you it is delayed and push you by a month without any explanation. The simple fact that Tesla communicates at all only gives us a window into the chaotic world that is trying to produce widgets.

People here have noted that far fewer cars than we think should be have been ENTERING production over the past several days. Based on what we know about the production schedule, the number of cars that initially entered production, and the number of cars that have entered production the last four or five days, the consensus here seems to be that production has either stopped or significantly slowed down.

I agree that production seems to have slowed down with regard to P85D (as per our sample of TMC users). As others have pointed out, they could focus on other models while the P85D is held up, but additionally whatever the hold up is, they can only pump out so many cars and stockpile them. They are not setup for large inventory storage other than however they are handling international vehicles etc.

If this is a surprise to you, then the sales tax you're going to pay when you actually register the car in Texas will also be a surprise.

Like others have said, you are buying the car in California and having it delivered to you in Texas. The car will need the state safety inspection and 6.25% vehicle sales tax paid to the County Tax Collector / Assessor. The good news is that you're not paying the California vehicle sales tax, which is quite a bit higher.

It's no surprise to me. I'm fully ready to register in Texas and pay the annoying sales tax. I just didn't realize it FIRST had to be registered in California in order to get around Texas's restrictive law. But now I understand why.

I just talked to my DS. My conversation was on a very practical level -- makes no difference to me when my car arrives, I just need to keep the folks that are buying one of my cars informed on when I can deliver the used car to them and how many miles it'll have on it. He's pretty careful to be conservative in his estimates and is still giving me dates in December. My car is in "paint" today. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of "Christmas Teslas" or "Tesla Christmases" this year.

Email update from my DS:

[FONT=&amp]We are waiting for your car to pass the final inspection phase of production before we give you a firm delivery date. At the moment your car is in the later stages of assembly, it will still need to go through a couple of steps before it passes final inspections[/FONT].

So again, no commitment on a date and no indication that there are any issues whatsoever. So it seems the waiting and guessing games continue...

Alliant is busy

I have been working on the financing for my P85D. Yesterday, my loan officer was difficult to get a hold of. I mentioned in an email that he must be very busy. This was his response:

Sorry about that but yes Tesla is kicking in as I have closed 5 today and 15 to go for the remainder of the week.

What does that mean? Are cars getting delivered, or is the "closing" before delivery? This is just one guy of many at Alliant.

Well, I signed an NDA at the factory tour, so can't really say too much. Definitely no pictures or video. The Tesla folks were very nice and tried to answer my questions on the P85D delays, but didn't have too much information. I saw some finished P85Ds, one was at the public supercharger. That leads me to believe P85Ds are finished, although I don't have any figures on how many.

Well, I signed an NDA at the factory tour, so can't really say too much. Definitely no pictures or video. The Tesla folks were very nice and tried to answer my questions on the P85D delays, but didn't have too much information. I saw some finished P85Ds, one was at the public supercharger. That leads me to believe P85Ds are finished, although I don't have any figures on how many.

What can you tell us about the finished models? Did you see a grey one with grey wheels? :)

This may be interesting to some. In the public area.

IMG_2622.JPG

Please point out the post where I said I was upset??!!

I am not upset. I am simply saying that I hold Tesla to a higher standard. I am a pilot and my other hobby is airplanes. Delays are the norm with airplane manufacturers. The smart ones learned that communication is 9/10th of the problem. I was just pointing out that Tesla would gain enormous goodwill if they just communicated with their customers.

BTW ... I did not get any explanation for the delay ... so I don't understand your point above.

All I am asking for is more transparency in exchange for enormous customer goodwill. If I knew what the problem was I would be extremely less agitated than I am today.

definitely agreed.

there are other examples: X reservation holders upset at lack of comm, S buyers who got theirs days before the D announcements.

People really misunderstand the necessity of good comm in *amazing* customer service.

back on topic: make sure you guys post some HD videos of your new cars when they get here! i'd love to share them with some of my peeps! (not to mention, disprove the naysayers ! :)