Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not as many posts but one guy is getting his Monday when it was originally scheduled for the 17th.
thats my car. so yes seems like RWD cars are still currently being built (mine finished on the day before thanksgiving). My original date way back when was the 3rd, it moved back to the 17th right after the D announcement, and is now scheduled for pick up on monday (the 8th, its already there and waiting).

New Recaro (Italian?) seats, Israeli Mobileye hardware, new Bosch (German?) brakes... that should do it.

Recaro is a Germany company, not that this means the seats are made there which is what is important.

But this theory is busted because my September 2014 S85 without Autopilot hardware said 50% on the window sticker. That car of course does not have the new nextgen seats, Autopilot sensors, or the electromechanical brakes.

one more motor - Taiwan source for both electric motors. Italian seats, as others said.

The motors are made in Fremont. They were made in Taiwan at one point but not anymore. Tesla had to increase their US content of their vehicles to qualify for the loan with the Department of Energy and at that point they moved motor manufacturing in house. This also happens to be shown on the window sticker, it says where the motor was assembled.

Also again, Recaro is German. Recaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The motors are made in Fremont. They were made in Taiwan at one point but not anymore. Tesla had to increase their US content of their vehicles to qualify for the loan with the Department of Energy and at that point they moved motor manufacturing in house. This also happens to be shown on the window sticker, it says where the motor was assembled.

Also again, Recaro is German. Recaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From this quote, it seems Fukuta makes the motors and Tesla assembles them into a motor/inverter/drivetrain configuration.
But it could be wrong:
Tesla came to Fukuta in 2005 seeking a partner to produce electric motors after Tatung and Teco declined the opportunity, says Gordon Chang, Fukuta general manager.“They started looking at smaller companies like Fukuta,” he says through an interpreter. “And I said, ‘Yes, this is a new thing and I am interested in trying it. It’s our honor to do that.’”
As Tesla continues growing its lineup to include the upcoming Model X CUV and Model E small sedan, Fukuta realizes a second source of motors will be inevitable.
“We think this year they will have to find a second source because they also hope to ramp up very quickly,” says Doris Lu, Fukuta spokeswoman. “They need to make money.”
The supplier sold Tesla 30,000 motors in 2013 and plans to deliver another 45,000 this year, Lu says. Fukuta recently opened a new plant in Taiwan dedicated to Tesla business. Motors or components are shipped weekly to California, a journey that takes up to six weeks.

one more motor - Taiwan source for both electric motors. Italian seats, as others said.

Where does this keep coming from? Tesla builds their own motors. You can watch it on the video that was recently released (sorry, would link it, but I'm on my phone and it's a pain.)

Edit: ok, news to me. Maybe they're being built in house and from a supplier?

From this quote, it seems Fukuta makes the motors and Tesla assembles them into a motor/inverter/drivetrain configuration.
But it could be wrong:

I think Fukuta is just making some components now. At one point I think they made the whole motor. I know the motor is assembled in the US, the sticker sheet outright says that. Where the components are made isn't as clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Where does this keep coming from? Tesla builds their own motors. You can watch it on the video that was recently released (sorry, would link it, but I'm on my phone and it's a pain.)

Edit: ok, news to me. Maybe they're being built in house and from a supplier?

There's this article that's been posted before:
http://english.cw.com.tw/article.do?action=show&id=14438&offset=0

It's from October 2013 and Fukuta says they're prepping for Model X motors.

Quick update from my DS this morning:

[FONT=&amp]It’s looking like it’s still in the later stages of assembly (this stage can take a couple of days). Once it’s done with this stage it will begin the quality checks stage and then onto inspection and then final inspections. Also just a heads up the factory is running at a much slower rate over the weekends so I wouldn’t expect your vehicle stage to change from where it is at the end of today to Monday.[/FONT]

I'm still scheduled for a tentative delivery date of next Wednesday, December 10th in Fremont. Let's see if it holds.

1320 minutes ago for me. :(

Well one of my various dates was yesterday yet my key chain still looks like this. A sad reminder of former days of Tesla driving. I've been driving ICE cars long enough now that I no longer leave them running or forget to lock them. That's just wrong.
IMG_3917.JPG

It may interest some of those with Late December deliveries that my DS said that my car (and I'm sure many others) is scheduled to be built starting Monday, Dec 8.
She thinks final inspection will occur Monday Dec. 15 ,with cars heading East sometime after that.
When I asked her if the Delivery would be before Christmas, she just could not commit.
Feels great to know that there is an actual date when it will be built! Really tired of the Queue.